Freshwater Pond - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers Freshwater fishing discussion. Articles on tactics and techniques for freshwater stripers as well as Bass & other species.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:01 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default Freshwater Pond

Alright I just checked out this freshwater pond we have on base that is supposedly stocked every year with catfish, bass (I'm assuming smallmouth?) and bluegill. Live bait is prohibited so I am completely confused when it comes to anything freshwater.....I don't know what type of plugs to use, what kind of structure to look for, or the feeding habits of freshwater fish. If anybody could throw out a couple of tips to get me started it would be great. I'm probably just asking random no good questions that seem pointless but I just don't wanna waste my time doing something wrong when I could get some good advice from people who know....... thanks in advance.

http://www.mccsmiramar.com/fishpond.html
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Freshwater Pond

Get some big spinnerbaits for locating fish and some hula poppers for topwater bite and some fake worms along the structure slowly on the bottom.
Thats all I basically need in my lake.
I like rats and frogs to for topwater bite early and late for LMB and pickeral.
For the crappys some crayfish type lures.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:17 PM

Thanks a lot Jim.....big help
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2008, 01:13 AM

Well it's nothing big and it's no Striped bass but it was good to catch a fish again....it's been close to a year since I've been fishing.....I almost forgot what a fighting fish felt like.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:28 AM

Nice
On a Jointed crankbait.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Official Member

In the lake by me I have been killing the LMB with some storm wild eye swimmers. They are really small, maybe 2 in.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:11 PM

I should pick some of those up Cappo....good idea. I love the storm shads for stripers I'm sure the freshwater bass love 'em as well.

How have you like workin them? Slow retrieve? Fast retrieve? Sweeping motion?
Old 06-12-2008, 10:54 PM

Ok back to the crank bait....I read somewhere that your supposed to real it in really quick until it gets to the depth you want then slow down the retrieve.....is there any truth in this....I figured it would just float back to the top once you slow it down. The other day I caught that fish after about 2 hours of just casting and retriving....maybe thats why I only got one hit.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Official Member

Well I got two different sizes. The really small ones have a kind of twist tail, not really a "swimmer" but it swims. That I've been twitching a lot with a slow retrieve. If you crank it to hard it just jets up outta the water. With the next size up, a retrieve slow enough to keep the tail swimming while keeping the bait down. I then throw in a quick speed burst and then let it drop for a second, usually a hit comes when either it drops or when you start reeling after the drop.

Also, try out a simple carolina rig.

Usually that, bounced off the bottom will yield something decent.

The only "crank" baits I have are floating rapalas. Usually I'll throw those when I'm in a boat trying to present to fish in a deep weedline or along the shore. There's nothing more aggervating than throwing a nice lure into the weeds to have it gunked up in 2 seconds. Usually I'll give a nice slow retrieve with a twitch or two to make it look wounded. Then let it float to the top, twitch again, pause, and repeat.

A lot of things depend on the lake. I know this one area on a lake near me, Lake Hopatcong, that if you throw those rubber mice on top of the lily pads, and jump 'em off you get a trophy bass every time.

I've fished freshwater all my life, and am currently trying to learn the salt on this site. Any questions feel free to ask.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:41 AM

Thanks for the advice......I actually lost that crank-bait today in the weeds lol. I'm thinking about buying a new crankbait that dives even deeper......I saw somewhere that you should fish a crankbait through the weeds and off of rocks and stuff....the crank bait I was using the other day only went 7 ft down I think.....

Anyways I've been fishing saltwater all my life(I'm not that old though but you get the picture) and it seems like I'm starting to get into the freshwater thing now that I'm away from Stripers. In other words Cappa.....I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions for ya.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:39 AM

I love those jointed crankbaits for bucketmouths!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:41 PM

Nice Fish! I love my ponds too.
NOTHING beats the taste of pond fish.

Check out this cat I caught today while trolling for stripers

Old 06-13-2008, 07:20 PM

Jesus Bill the thing is a MONSTER. Theres catfish in the pond I fish as we.l but I haven't had any luck. I bought some of that stink bait stuff but they haven't hit it yet.....

I just bought some supplies so I'm gonna make some Texas rigs and fish them tomorrow morning. The only problem is that the Texas rig is so light that I feel like I'll only be able to cast it 10 feet......I'll have to see tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how it goes if I get the chance to get out.....I'll post some more pictures as well.

Also I bought this bad boy: http://www.rapala.com/products/lures...shorsalt=Fresh

Hopefully the shad color was a good choice.....This one dives down a lot deeper than the other crank bait I was using. I'm hoping that I'll have more luck with it cause it can get down lower near the weeds and rocks and structure....
Old 06-14-2008, 08:48 AM

Nice lure.I found most of mine at yard sales.I found a tackle box for 20 bucks that had over 400 bucks worth of lures in it.

Good luck,I posted it because it is rare for me to get a cat that size while trolling.

Ok time to hit the LAke and see how many crasies boaters are out today.

I am going to post up on the sand bar and fish this morning...Hopefully I will have something good to post.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:19 AM

Well well a question I can answer. That's largemouth your catching Brian, not smallmouth. In Cali they get nice and fat too! The deep diving crankbaits are ok, but fishing for two hours and catching one bass, I'd try something else after 10-15 casts. I fish shallow diving crankbaits, about 0'-4' depth. My trick is to throw them in some lilly pad patches or other top water vegetation and let it SIT. Let it float and just scratch your nuts waiting, if you waited too long, wait longer. Count to 30 even. When those crankbaits hit the water in vegetation the bass come right over and stare at it for little bit before hammering it. If you don't get a strike after counting to 30 jerk it a couple times and let it sit for about 10 seconds, and then slowly reel it back. When it is hot largemouth love to hang out in vegetation, brush, basically anything that will shade them from the sun. They get very lazy and will not venture far from their cool spot for food. The best way to get them out is to drop soft plastics, such as tubes, rubber worms, crawdads etc... There are many different types of set up to use as well. For soft plastic presentations a spinning setup with 15lb test braid (fireline, suffix, power pro) work best because the line is very sensitive. I use swivels when "finnessing" (fishing soft plastics slowly). The rule for me is anythign bright gets a red hook and red swivel and anything dark gets a black swivel and black hook. I don't use silver or gold. Cast the soft plastics to the edge of any weedbed and let it drop down slowly. Your line will go and stop abruptly when it hits bottom, count to 10 and "wiggle" the rod to make the bait "dance" and then wait. I must emphasize WAIT. I can't tell you how many times I have reeled in just as the fish hit, pulling the bait out of the fish's mouth, in that situation if I had just waited another couple of seconds the fish would have ran with the bait. You may notice a slight vibration of your line or your line may move a little, if this happens set the hook! When fishing soft plastics the take can be subtle, when in doubt SET THE HOOK. I have many times looked foolish setting the hook on a monster...plant. Others look even more foolish by NOT setting the hook on a fish. There is alot to bass fishing, there are alot of similarities to striper fishing. Structure, vegetation etc... The big girls hit slow moving baits down toward the bed rather than topwater. Jigs are said to work well but for me they are just paper weights, I love finnesse fishing. Here is a couple of links to help you out. WARNING: Largemouth bass fishing is VERY addictive!
www.bassmaster.com
bassresource.com/fish/tipsindex.html
http://www.bassintips.com/