need help - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > New Member Introductions
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself to the members of Stripers247.com

Old 02-17-2007, 11:33 PM

Default need help

Hello all, I am new here and have a question for all who care to give me advise. I am a fly fishing guide in MT, and I have been invited to NJ by a client for striper fishing, he uses regular tacle, but I want to try with a fly rod, any suggestions on weight and where to hook up with some good custom flies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Re: need help

Boat or beach ??

If you have a 10w you're good to go, that's the most common choice for year round NJ fishing. Most of your hardcore fly guys also own a 9 weight, which is a better choice in late summer and fall when the fish are mostly smaller.

Weight forward intermediate line or shooting head system for surf
Weight forward sinking for boat.

The best fly designer and the originator of a lot of the more common flies in this area is Bob Popovics (aka: Bob Pop - Pop Fleyes) - do a Google.
If you're going to be in the Toms River area stop in and say hello at his bar/restaurant the Shady Rest on Rt 9 in Bayville.

Here's a link to the Atlantic Saltwater Flyrodders club out of Seaside NJ - these guys are the best of the best, give the site a good look, you'll learn a lot about NJ flyfishing for Stripers.

http://www.aswf.org/saltwater_flies_...flies_bob.html

<Cut n paste from the aswf site>
"Deceivers, all white, red and white, yellow, red and yellow, all black. Sizes: 1/0's to 4/0's. Clousers- Chartruese and white, olive and white, yellow and white. Sizes: 2's to 2/0's. Bangers- silver/red/white, 2/0 to 4/0's. This selection covers a good portion of this areas baitfish and are proven producers year after year. There are many, many more flies that are important, but if you make a variety of those mentioned in different colors and sizes, you should be all set."

My personal favorite - Be sure to whip up a few chartreuse and white Hollow Fleyes (I like to add a touch of red flash buried near the front)