Striper Gear/Rod/Reel - Surf/Jetty/River fishing? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 05-08-2006, 05:05 PM

Default Striper Gear/Rod/Reel - Surf/Jetty/River fishing?

Hey all, first time poster here. Got a link to the forum from a friend when I posted the thread below on another site (so this is somewhat a crosspost). I have read through the Beginner sections, but they don't really address any specifics when it comes to models of rods or reels. I am not new to saltwater or fishing, and am about as fast and aggressive a learner as you'll meet. Really just looking to get right into the mix of things and figured I'd tap into any of the knowledgeable minds out there that would be willing to give me a good push in the right direction.

Below is the excerpt from my other post and pretty much explains where I stand today on my quest to get back into striper fishing. Note there are references to NJ, so this is pretty much all NJ specific info:

I am planning on getting back into striper fishing but wanted to run some ideas and questions by you. I'm an all or none kinda guy, so I figure if I'm going to get into it, I want to spend the money up front and get the right gear.

I want to start spending more time fishing for one, and I figure my weekday evenings/nights are pretty light, so my plan is to fish alot mid week after work, which translates to quite a bit of driving, but knowing how bad the saltwater bug bites me, I see it being worth it.

I live down near Philly in Mount Laurel, and will be traveling to either the shore (Belmar/Point Pleasant areas) via 295 to 195 OR fishing the Delaware out by Trenton and Southward?

I'll be perfectly honest, I don't know much about striper fishing other than my dabs in it when I was in HS and college where I had reasonable success plugging for them off the beach/jetties in Monmouth and Ocean counties. I was fishing a pretty modest (and unreasonable?) 7'6" Penn Slammer heavy action rod with 20lb mono on a Shakespeare Sigma reel. Right off the bat, the rod is too heavy and too short for surf fishing, but it did manage to catch me a few fish. The reel has been a champ when it comes to performance and longevity (have had that bad boy for probably 15 years now and it's still running great) and it has caught ALOT of bluefish (on the boats) and some stripers on the shore. In fact, the setup was really for spinning bluefish on boats, flipping bunker chunks out into the slick when the blues were up high and out far, with a heavy/short stick to battle em in quick.

Anyway, I'm deviating here. I'm really looking for some tips on how best to get started with the goal of fishing for stripers on the beach/jetty on the coast and river on the Delaware.

I am not sure if ONE rod/reel combo can do both effectively.

From what I'm reading (which is what I generally try to do when I decide I'm going to go all into something like this), it looks like I'll need at least a 10 foot rod for surf fishing to get out past the 2nd/3rd break if I want to get into the bigger fish. Likewise, I am not sure if a 10 foot+ rod will work for river fishing or for plugging (maybe if I get a light enough one?). I've never bought a rod/reel specifically with stripers in mind, so I'm really just trying to find a good starting point to get myself more involved in the sport, and give me something to do after work during the week...and yeah gas prices are going to kill me!

I'm sure there are a million opinions and preferences for these types of fishing conditions, so lay em on me.

For now, I am planning on outfitting my Sigma reel with some 8lb diameter/30lb Powerpro with probably 10-20 yards of mono shock leader and a small 3-4 foot running leader, mainly for plugging. Thinking about going up to Sportsmen's Center and Harry's to talk to the guys up there and get some opinions as well.

Anyone have any advice, recommendations, good readings, please let me know. Also if anyone fishes down here on the Delaware, I could really use a good shove in the right direction on some places worth checking out, or even some websites worth reading to give me a good start.

I'm sure pricing is on the mind, I'm willing to dish out a bit of coin but would like to stay under $500 for the combo if possible. But to be honest, I'm not one to skimp on equipment, even if its a little hard on my wallet. Last thing I want to deal with is failing gear when I'm on the water. I can live on bread and water for a little while, but can't live with failing/inefficient gear! :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

ADDENDUM:

I don't know if it is useful, but as a first time visitor/user of the forum, I think it's great. The beginner sections are awesome, I think the only recommendation I can provide from an "outsider/new user perspective" is to add more detail on recommendations for rod/reel selections given a certain price range? I hate asking this beginner question here because I'm sure it's been addressed before. I'll continue to search through and read the other threads with similar topics, but not sure if any address the dual requirement for surf/jetty and river fishing combo, if it is even possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 07:46 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

this is a great site with tons of helpful people you'll love it.
I just got in to striper fishing in the summer of 2004. What I got for my first set up was a 10' Shakespeare graphite surf rod med action rated for 1-5 oz but, I didn't like the way it cast with lures over 3oz, and a penn 560 slammer reel. The rod is lite weight and great for plugging( which is what I mostly do) and its only a little over $100. The reels great except for getting sand in it if you get bashed by waves, but I feel just about any reel would get sand in it they way I fish (except for a van staal). I recently up graded my rod to a 10' Lamiglas Ron Arra pro rated for 3/4- 2.1/2 oz I think they run around $300, but check ebay and you might be able to find one cheaper.Its a great rod and casts like a cannon. A lot of the guys on here love tica rods but I've never used one so I can't give my opinion on them, their reels are nice though. well hope this helped if you look in other threads you'll find a ton of info
Old 05-08-2006, 08:00 PM

Excellent, thanks for the prompt response.

I guess I should add, will I need a setup for both bait and plugging the beaches/jetties? And then another setup for bait and plugging for the Delaware? (Total of 4) Or maybe I can reuse one/both of the setups for both applications?

Or is there a "generic" setup that I can leverage off of where I can do both bait and plugging but may not have the "best of both worlds" but enough to get me into some decent sized fish.

Nevertheless, I think my focus is more so bait fishing for now, since I can still use my current rod and reel for plugging like I used to, I just won't have the range. But if I put PowerPro on it, that may give me a bit more range. I threw alot of bombers back then, not super heavy but I could get some range with them...wind of course sucks! :)

To be honest, the more I read and think about it, the more overwhelmed I get with the options...I'm sure thats the case in alot of things. I'll keep on reading and hopefully I can get some more feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 08:27 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I'm not much of a bait fisherman, but I did get a heavy action ugly stick(10' 6" - 2-12 oz) to throw bait with since there pretty inexpensive and I think I've used it twice lol. Its a good rod though, and a life time warranty!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:36 PM

That's a pretty broad question. To be honest, an entire book could be written to try and cover it.

You really need two setups for fishing Jersey, a plugging outfit and a bait fishing outfit.

If I could only have one rig to throw plugs it would be a Lamiglas XS 101 MS with a Penn 706 spooled with 20# Fireline (or a Van Staal 250 if I wanted to go top line)

For bait fishing my favorite (by far) is the Breakaway LDFC 119-2 conventional. With an Abu Mag Elite 6500 it can cast father then anything I've ever thrown before and unlike most purely distance oriented rods it fights a fish extremely well.
BTW, so long as there's enough water to allow access over the bar most of the fish you'll catch in NJ will be within 20 yards of the beach. Only at low water the do you need to make the longer casts to reach the other side.

With those two setups you can do anything you might want to do in NJ short of bridge or boat fishing.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:18 PM

Sudsy:

Thanks for the informative response. I can imagine my question is quite broad. What would be a better way of presenting my question?

I essentially want a dependable, and durable spinning rod setup for bait fishing (clams/bunker/herring/eels) the NJ shore and Delaware river, as well as a spinning rod setup for plugging the same waters.

I don't mind getting two setups, I figured I'd need two. What I don't know is what I will need to accomodate these waters.

The fact that most fish are within 20 yards (during high tides) is very useful, but (again as a newbie reading other sites/etc) there has been discussion of what size fish lay where (1st vs 2nd vs 3rd breaks). That's not to say bigger fish don't come closer, and again I am going based on what I am reading, not by experience. Most of the stripers I caught were from the jetties with spikes and the biggest may have been about 20 lbs or so. No real whoppers. But, I certainly couldn't reach these fish from the beach with the setup I was using.

I don't think selecting a reel will be as challenging as selecting a rod or rods. Even the rod brand isn't as much of a concern as selecting the appropriate height, weight, and action to maximize casting distance as well as maxmizing the ability to fight and land fish.

Thanks again for the feedback, I'll check out info on your favorites and add them to my list!
Old 05-08-2006, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviD
Sudsy:

Thanks for the informative response. I can imagine my question is quite broad. What would be a better way of presenting my question?
What kind of fishing do you do the most of and where do you do it?

I fish pretty much everywhere and over the years rods for each application have found their way into my garage.

Examples:

Bait
Raritan Bay, early spring, cold water - worm and clam throwing, conventional:
Daiwa 30-405S, 12', 3 oz and a clam.
Raritan Bay, late spring, warmer water - bunker chunking, conventional:
Medium weights (4 to 6 oz) Breakaway LDFC 119-2,
Heavier weights (6 to 10 ox) Harnell 542,
Just for fun, 11' honey Lami (I don't know the model #) and an Alvey 6500

Surf, bait, conventional:
I'll use all of the above depending on the conditions plus a Lamiglas 150 2 Hatteras style heaver for sending the really big stuff very far.

Plugging conventional:
Light - 10' Star Nickelite with a Shimano Conquest 400.
Medium - 9'10" Purglas 300-1 with a Shimano Conquest 400.
Heavy - 11' Breakaway LDFC 119-2 with an Abu 6500 Mag Elite.

Plugging, spinning:
Sight fishing in the bay, small plugs and jigs, Rogue 804 or a Rogue 904
Jigging in the rivers, 9' Harnell
Medium plugging, Purglas 300-1
Pencil popping and very large wood Grizzly/Fenwick Su1388
Light plugging on jetties, 9' Harnell
Plugging on Sandy Hook, Purglas 300-1 (too fragile to bring near rocks)
General all around plugging in the surf and on the jetties, Lamiglas XS 101 MS

Now add on bridge rods, boat rods, livelining rods, baitrunner style rods, Montauk rods and you see why your question is hard to answer without knowing what the primary use is.

Where also plays a big role. If you're fishing the surf in Sandy Hook you can expect the fish to often be within 10 yards of the beach. Down south where there's a much more gradual slope to the beach you'll often find the fish way out past the second or third bar. The setup I use on Sandy Hook isn't going to be able to cast even halfway as far as I may need to down in Avalon or Wildwood.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:29 PM

Sudsy, that's quite a supply of rods!

Well basically the WHERE is as I had said:

Quote:
I live down near Philly in Mount Laurel, and will be traveling to either the shore (Belmar/Point Pleasant areas) via 295 to 195 OR fishing the Delaware out by Trenton and Southward?
WHERE: Primarily fishing the central NJ shore/surf/jetties and dabbing in the Delaware from the shores.

WHAT: Primary species is stripers with some weakies mixed in.

WHEN: Timeframe will be spring and summer, as I am otherwise occupied during most of the fall and winter.

HOW: I anticipate mostly plugging, I like doing that and covering alot of water. But I'd like a bait rod/reel for those times when I just want to go toss clams or other baits, and maybe spike them while I toss a plug near by. Spinning rod/reel for each plugging and bait fishing are my preference.

As I said, I'm not looking for the perfect rod/reel setups for all situations, but one that will do the job in most. I'm beginning the stages of my striper quest, you are a seasoned veteran that is long into the quest...and have the gear to suit all the situations. Perhaps striper fishing just isn't that flexible, you need specific gear for specific times of the year and specific places. But I would think there is a happy middle ground where I can find a suitable plugging spinning rod/reel and suitable bait fishing spinning rod/reel that will get me in the game and not have me wasting time throwing too short and not reaching the fish...that is really my biggest concern. (i.e. I don't want to buy a 9 footer, when I'll need a 10 or 11 footer to really get to the fish. Likewise I don't want to buy an 11 footer and have it be overkill for the purpose or impossible to toss plugs with).

Anyway, thanks again for getting back to me with more info, I appreciate the responses.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:06 AM

I have to go back to the Lami XS 101 MS. It's the most versitile rod I've ever owned. I read your post to say that you prefer baitfishing with a spin reel. If that's the case you can throw a Shimano baitrunner on the Lami and it's a great bait stick.

Lists at $280 but if you shop you can get it for less. I got mine for less then $220. Check your PMs

In your research pay close attention to whether or not a rod can work a pencil popper. Most of the graphite rods out there are great for swimmers but most of them don't flex down far enough to make a pencil dance. The deeper flex also allows the 101 to snap cast a much lighter jig or plug then most other rods would be able to while still having enough power in the butt to control a large fish.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:18 PM

Hey guys, I just wanted to say Thanks to Sudsy. He and I have been talking my questions over in PMs, and he has got to be one of the most helpful guys I've ever met on any forum (and I am a member of MANY)...and even as a new user of the forum he's extended himself to help answer all my questions.

One hell of a moderator, you guys should be proud to have him!
Old 05-09-2006, 08:53 PM

YEA ! And don't anyone forget it
Old 08-30-2006, 02:29 PM

Bump