Anyone else? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Rhode Island Fishing
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rhode Island Fishing Rhode Island striped bass fishing - Local discussion & reports

Old 12-20-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Anyone else?

An all seasons outdoorsman?
Growing up I was surrounded by guy's of all interests. Rod builders, flytiers, trappers, hunters, etc., etc..............
It all seemed to link up to me. There are certain endevours that gain most of my attention, duck hunting during the winter months is my prime other than Striper passion, in fact if a law were passed saying choose one and only one, the quackers get it!
Feathers from pheasant, grouse, ducks, and Geese become flies for trout cast on a custom fly rod in the wood river in spring. Musk rat, Beaver, and fox pelts cashed in for new reels. Not to metion them muskies, and flattails give up some mighty tasty and tender meat! Nothing like venison sausage on the hibachi while watching rod tips on the beach in the spring.
Could it be that NOT having a sega or nintendo allowed me to get on my bicycle and go fishing after school as a youngster? Sitting on my butt in front of a computer during the winter on weekends, instead of running a trap line, then out on the lake for some yellow perch for dinner is an inconcievable thought to me.
I'm kind of happy my son tends to get out of bed on a saturday morning in December with a northwind blowing 20 or better, snow or sleet in the forcast, and he says the weather looks great for a great day of bustin some honkers.
So what are your 17 year olds up to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2005, 05:22 PM

No One else?
Old 12-21-2005, 07:01 PM

You Sir have hit the nail on the head. I used to ride my bike to go squirrel hunting near my home from about age 10, then quail and rabbits, shot my first deer at 14 with a recurve bow at about 5 yards, practiced with my bow in the fields around my subdivision all spring and summer when I wasn't fishin, hey, by the way, I didn't have any electronic games either, they weren't around in the 60's, and without them I learned to communicate and interact with real people, not a droid on the TV. The kids now days have no reason to learn these things now, hell, they'll just hunt or fish on the computer if they are so inclined, or better yet, fire up a crack rock...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2005, 07:07 PM

Chop here's the real sad part, and it directly relates to the crack comment.
I used to ride my bike to the wood patch behind a dairy farm 4 miles from my house.
All city streets, used to love the looks I got, all decked in canvas pants, huntin jacket, blaze vest,and the 12 gauge tied to my handle bars. Cruisers would not even give me a second look.
Nowadays the swat team would be on site in 30 seconds!
At 44 and a retired Marine I look back and long for MY old days!
Old 12-21-2005, 07:23 PM

I.m 51, soon to be 52, retired from the US Air Force 25 1/2 yrs, and I too long for those times again, I used to rabbit and quail hunt in a big field by an elementary school (after school and on the weekends) and sometimes the beat cops would stop by and ask how I was doin...
IMHO Just too many Liberals, too many laws, too much constitutional modification and interpretation, and too many drugs have gone under the bridge for it to ever come back... Hell you cant eve say Merry Christmas any more without some :EDITED: lovin SOB yellin foul...

For all those that need this
Disclaimer: This post was not intended to hurt anyones feelings or to discriminate against anyone with regard to their sex (or lack thereof), ssexual preference, religion (Or lack therof), race, color or ethnic background, age or disability...

EDIT: Sorry bub, I had to edit a word in this post. I understand the point your trying to get across, but we can't allow words like that to be thrown around. - Jonny Bolt
Old 12-21-2005, 07:31 PM

This former Marine Sniper with 26 confirmed kills and multitudes called in over VHF, yup, lots of Air Force Ord dropped on my request, says this, and pay attention;" Merry Christmas"
Saw tooooooooooo many of my green machine brothers give the ghost for the constitution, and oil, for me to care one bit about upsettin some liberals feelings! Fact is most days I seek out liberals to do just that.
Put a crack head in jail, not rehab, make him give up the sellor by increasing sentencing by 2 fold if he don't. Put dealers in prison farms at hard labor till he dies. Watch the drug problem go away!

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING/FISHING! You won't have to hunt them down, or fish them out of county lock up.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:22 PM

Merry Christmas guys, good post.
My son is only 4 and my daughter 2, but when the time is right I am going to introduce them to Hunting and fishing. Hopefully they will be interested and stay involved the rest of their lives.

Hope you guys have a great Christmas and New Year!
Old 12-22-2005, 07:26 AM

Brandon, at 4 I was fishing for horse Mac's with the old man, at 5 I was spending selective days in the duck blind, at 7 I was landing Stripers.
Teach you kids the interactive relationships of the Sportsman, the anti's have been targeting public schools for quite some time. They will try to divide and conquer as early as they can get to them. Through the use of"teacher tool packs", they get the literature into the hands of pre-school and elementary school teachers. They start with the "Anti-Fur campaigne"
Fuzzy little animal babies put images into impressionable minds to start the process. It has really started to screw things up in Mass.. The use of so called cruel trapping methods has been banned after 20+ years of propaganda by PETA. They showed old pictures of leg hold traps, traps that were already banned. Trappers no longer work the state in numbers that come close to controlling fur bearer populations. The populations have exploded and the state is using, and you will read this correctly,
MILLIONS, of sportsmans dollars to control or repair damage done by beavers alone. They have started and are well on their way with an assault on fishing as well. DON'T LAUGH, THEY HAVE THE TIME AND MONEY!
Truth is if you don't Trap or even wear fur, you have a stake in this fight.
If you don't hunt or even own a gun, you have a stake in this fight.
If all you fish is salt water, you should still purchse a fishing license in you state, the money spent on ramps and fresh water eco-systems directly affects you, it gives the state a better tracking of the number of sportsman and provides you a better voice as well as the benefits of the
programs the money supports.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:47 AM
Veteran Elite

I started fishing when I was about 4 or 5, not really sure when, my dad didn't hunt when I was growing up so I didn't get involved with hunting until I was about 16 and could get my own license and go out with my friends. (although back then, at my school, Hunters Safety Course was a mandatory requirement for all boys in the 7th grade) We had a little creek that went behind the houses across the street, I would dig worms in my back yard and head down to the creek with my rod, worms, hook, bobber and a slice of cheese and fish for hours. Yeah I was only catching 4-5" sunfish, but who cares, it was fun. As I got older, my parents allowed me to go a little further from home I would ride my bike or my skateboard about a mile across town to an old farmer's pond where I would spend the day fishing. My dad would take us out, but not as often as I would've liked, I was forced to figure out fishing all by myself. With no one to guide and teach me, I tried stuff until it worked, then stuck with what I knew produced the fish. I didn't really get to start fishing saltwater on a regular basis until I got stationed at Ft Monmouth NJ and would drive the 15 min to Long branch and fish the jetties for Fluke, blues and stripers (and tons and tons of skates unintentionally) So even without being surrounded by different types of outdoor sports I got into it. But I will tell you, my daughters (now 8 and 9) have been fishing with me since they were born and out in the fields hunting with me since the age of 3. I finally bought them thier first gun last year but because I have a pacifist for an Ex-Wife I am reluctant to take them out shooting. This will be the year though, I will start taking them to the range and getting them ready for spring gobbler in a few months......Ok, so I didn't mean to ramble on like that, but I wanted to get my story in this thread.....
Old 12-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Pro Staff

Great thread guys. I too grew up spending my free time hunting, fishing, and also spent a lot of time in a canoe exploring Missouri's rivers. Heck, we never even had a TV in the home until I got one to watch football when I was 23 or so, and that was only 6 years ago.

After my career got going, work kind of took over and with my busiest season being Dec-June, I rarely get to hunt any more and I miss it, but I still go fishing every chance I get.

The outdoors will definately be a big part of my kids lives as well. My daughter is not yet 2 and my son is due to show up on the scene in June. I can't wait until they're big enough to crank a reel.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:01 AM

Jeff, All I can say is AWESOME! My wife is almost as active as my son and I, and NOTHING warms my heart more than to see young ladies involved in hunting as well as fishing. They are truly the future of our sport, when they learn to use their voice to defend our sports, they are heard much louder! get'em out as often and safely as you can, the Ex will have no ground to stand on as long as the girls are learning correctly!
Old 12-22-2005, 08:07 AM
Veteran Elite

Yeah, they love it. I'm glad to take them with me. My older one isn't into it as much as she used to be, but she still enjoys going (as long as we're catching fish) My younger one however will ask me in the middle of summer when Deer season starts and when we get to go out hunting again. She has also braved many 20 deg mornings to head out and fish for Stripers on the lake nearby or just to go after some crappie and walleye in early spring. Poor little things hands will be beet red, but she won't put on her glove because she doesn't like to reel with them on She is probably one of the most hardcore little girls I've ever met, actually my AV should be a picture of her holding up a nice 31" Striper from a Thanksgiving 2004 trip to the OBX
Old 12-22-2005, 02:02 PM

I think it's only human nature for us to want to see something of ourselves in our children. Also, I think it's good, up to a certain point, to instill our values within our children as long as we also provide sound reasoning to back-up our values. As parents, it's our job to nurture and guide. This task is easiest when they're young. But as they grow older it becomes more difficult. What's most improtant, IMO, is for us to teach our children to be able to look at all elements of a situation and then through the use of reason, differentiate right from wrong. As children get older, we parents have to allow our children to test these waters to insure ourselves that they are ready for the outside world. They will stumble along the way and if we've done our jobs tactfully, they will look to us for support and continued guidance.

All of us in this forum hold fishing very dear to us. However, whether we prepare our children to differenciate right from wrong using fishing or hunting as the back-drop, is really not important. There are other venues that can be used to that end.

My daughter, now 18, and I use to fish together all the time. Also, she use to fish by herself and with her freinds in our backyard pond. Now, the only time she fishes is with me and that's infrequent. Sure I miss those days. But I will always hold those memories and at some point, I'm sure, she'll relish them as well.

So because my daughter no longer holds the same value for fishing that I do, does that mean I failed....absolutely not. My daughter is now a freshmen in college and holds a 30 hour a week job as well and is doing well with both. I'm still testing her. But my confidence is high that her ability to reason right from wrong is there, even though she doesn't share all the same values as I do.

It's a fine line we parents tread.

Just your token liberal,

Tony
Old 12-22-2005, 03:46 PM

Tony, it is that time on the boat, the shoreline of that pond; matters most.
You/we become more than parents, we become friends and mentors. Fishing/hunting teach patience and morals, it teaches a work ethic as well.
Kids that grow up in the outdoors, tend to be better students, they actually see that studying gets them to thier goals. No shortcuts, hard work is worth the effort.

Funny how these threads take on a life of thier own!
Old 12-22-2005, 08:14 PM
First Mate

i think you are absolutely right. when i lived in a lumberjack town in Idaho, everyone was skinny. then i moved tp nc and theres a 300 lb girl in the 6th grade!i love to be outdoors, and spend as much time as possible there.in fact, im goin duck huntin tomorrow.ive been fishin since i was 4 and i started huntin last year. i think also that kids dont necessarily need to be doing outdoor sports, they just need to be outside.i think that one of the best ways to get kids outside is to limit tv time and make them ask befor they watch tv or play video games.