Plug Modifications - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:47 AM

I just got a big bag of old plugs made years. I'm gonna sand em down replace all the hardware and maybe even paint em up this winter to see what I come up with. Should be a fun project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2006, 12:13 PM

Interesting as I came across a box in the back of garage with about a dozen old plugs, mainly Goo-Goo eyes, and Creek Chubs. all poppers, and all faded with use and abuse. I'll be cleaning them up, maybe even repaint some and rehook.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Napierkowski
Interesting as I came across a box in the back of garage with about a dozen old plugs, mainly Goo-Goo eyes, and Creek Chubs. all poppers, and all faded with use and abuse. I'll be cleaning them up, maybe even repaint some and rehook.
DON'T DO IT !!
At least until you've had them checked out - even in rough condition some old wood plugs are worth quite a few $$, especially if you have the boxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Napierkowski
DON'T DO IT !!
At least until you've had them checked out - even in rough condition some old wood plugs are worth quite a few $$, especially if you have the boxes.
Thanks for the heads up on that. Nope no boxes. The Goo-Goo Eyes are wood. The Creek Chubs are molded plastic dating from the mid-sixties I think. I know I have a few Reverse and Swimming Atoms around the place somewhere... amber and green transparent plastic.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:59 PM

Fish the plastic Creek Chubs - no value there. Be sure to check the screws, they have a nasty tendency to come loose.

If you ever want to trade a green atom I'm interested - I have the brown, I want the green.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Lure Modifications

Atom 40's
Suds Do you fish them or collect them?
I have a red transparent and the swirl styles.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:14 PM

Both. I have one root beer reverse Atom in my bag and another hanging on the wall. The amber one is the most common and not worth all that much.
Your swirly is probably worth some coin, I wouldn't fish that.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Napierkowski View Post
Who out there modify their lures by switching from trebble to say Siwash hooks; downsize the trebbles from say 3/0 to 2/0 or smaller' replace the tail trebble with a bucktail, totally remove the belly trebble?

Why do you do this and what do you do on each type of lure and how do these modificcations affect the actuion in the water of the lure.

Thanks in advance.
That's a tough question to answer. Books can be written on the subject, chapters on Bombers and Redfins alone, much less wood.

I load some Bombers and Redfins
I bend some lips on Bombers and Redfins
I always remove the middle treble and often switch out the rear treble for a dressed siwash
I repaint and epoxy them
Add small shot for weight and rattle
Remove the rear section of a jointed bomber and add a small rigged rubber eel

Seriously, Books could be written and videos can, and have, been made.

Like this one
Old 05-17-2007, 12:44 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

I change a lot of tins mostly. I'll tye in a long streamer style tail for Kastmasters to increase the profile some. It's the "big bait - big fish" theory sometimes. I'll also reverse and modify swimmers sometimes. Leadhead jigs I'll buy undressed and add my own dress.

One of my favorites is the 2 & 3 oz. Kastmaster. Paint it black or dark green, and add a 6-10" "Eel Punt" fly. Makes for a nice 8-14" eel imatation that cast like a rocket. With a mono weed guard you can work it right off the bottom in some nasty places. The action of the tin really adds life to the long tail. Not very good when the blues are about unless you can get under them quickly. They'll cut your fly in no time. But they are easy to re-tye.

Eels / worms are ussually my #1 go-to for casting and fly fishing. Anything that looks good I'll try in this area.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:46 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i made some wood plugs for a friend...about an hour ago he stopped in my work and handed me a bucket of plugs in return...he buys cordell pencil poppers and loads the tails with buckshot..changing the floating profile from horizontal to a slowly sinking vertical....the cc canal's current is so strong you need a sticky plug..these outta stick and pop real nice...they rattle to holy hell too.....oh, and they now will cast a friggin mile.
i modify the scent of all artificials....it masks the smell of human...stripes dont eat humans...i dont think. i also cut about an inch off the head of a sluggo and slip it on a lead head jig...or use for a trailer on some stubby needle plugs. i tie a bucktail to almost every plug that i might buy that doesnt have one....i sometimes change out hooks...depends on the plug. i have added glitter to some store bought stuff..other than that ...i make my own...its modified from the get go.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:50 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

my buddy also drooped off a pile of flies he had tied....i call em flies, he calls em droppers or teasers...he puts em in front of a swimming plug instead of whipping em with the fly rod..ill post some pics of his work in the plug building forum later...im gonna try his method this year and see what happens..
Old 05-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Veteran Elite

I always try to put a bucktail on the last hook. also check them from year to year and replace if Necessary. Keep them sharp too
Old 05-17-2007, 10:24 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

heres the loaded cordell pencils and teasers my friend gave me today. like i said previously..those pencils are rockets...oh..he also tied tails and rehooked em.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maggieb-day 031.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1871  
Old 06-14-2007, 08:34 AM
GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN

I would say it depends on where your fishing, around here I fish for STRIPERS, an some time willing to catch a BLUEFISH, BLUEFISH hit a bait from the BACK, STRIPERS hit from the FRONT, HEAD ON. so SINGLE HOOK in back, so you WON'T get as MENY BLUES destroying your plug, with your regular size hook in the BELLY, for STRIPERS. it 'a all up to you what you want to CATCH.
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN
P.S. heres a couple of STRIPER PLUGS
WOUNDER BREAD TWINS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wonder Bread  Twins.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	2165  
Old 12-14-2007, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Plug Modifications

Figure I'd continue this thread rather than start a new one.

Metal lipped swimmer tuning.
Bend the nose eye up to make the plug dive deeper and dig in harder in heavy surf conditions
and bend the nose eye down to make the lure swim shallower.
I change out all the hooks to 3x strong on the red fins and load them all now.
10ccs of water with a syringe. Im going to load some others with Bbs. and or mineral oil over the winter.