Reading the Beach and Structure - Page 4 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:38 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Reading the Beach and Structure

Matt, welcome to the site... Baitrunner hit the nail on the head, learn everything you can about your spot... Check it out during low tide so you know what structures are hidden at high tide

Bryan
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008, 04:50 PM

sup guys, my spot is chapin beach in dennis on the cape, its a big river inlet on the left and then like a mile and a half of sand flats. my "experinced" friends fish in the flats a couple hundred yards from the river and we havent caught jack, and when i try to suggest fishing in the river they all laugh at me....... we're using sand eels. should i tell them to shove it and walk down to the river or are they correct fishing the more shallow flats ??
Old 07-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Pro Staff

give it a try and see... doesn't sound like you have anything to lose...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008, 07:11 PM
Veteran Elite

Roc's video shows him catching cows in 4ft of water. Give it a shot especially if your not getting shit where you are.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Striper Hunter

Here are a couple nice holes.
First pic is just a nice break in the bar, next 3 are real nice hole I fished last fall, the hole at low tide was almost over my chest waders lasted about 2weeks next noreaster it was gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0199.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	9451   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0200.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	9452   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0204.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	9453  

Old 02-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

that's it. see the beach you fish and know the spots god gives you. just be careful out there. we will post this link in the coming months for reference again.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

I'll tell u one thing being able to know wht ur looking for is first and foremost! Once u find it proper presentation is next.
But I have low and high tide views I have ones from three weeks ago same spot when it had even more features. This spot in three trips produced A 50" 43lb bass 8-12 other bass from 31-36" and 6 or 7 shorts 18-26". Only 3 skates 1 shark. Best looking strech of beach for half a mile in each direction trust me I walked 2 miles of beach easy.

Name:	IMG_0814.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	12474Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0813.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	12473

Name:	IMG_0812.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	12472Click image for larger version

Name:	0809-r.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	12477

Name:	IMG_0818-r.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	12476
the first pick is a small break in the exposed outer bar. The following ones r of the main break to the right where it cuts deep unwadable at low tide then it wraps around and connects to the other break. The rocks r completly covered at high tide. Week long west winds exposed outer bars and high tides were a blast even in 30+ blows.
if u look close at the last one u can c the line from the water coming through the bar in the center and to the left with a bowl smack up against the shore line. U want to cast into the bowl and right in the break or right outside it. I prefer the out side of it so to stimulate bait getting flushed out on a falling tide. Incoming I want in the break itself so u r right in the travel path of bass coming in feeding behind the outer bar.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Default Re: Reading the Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Jim where did u find tht song? Who is the artist, cause thats definately artistic, so I have to call him an artist. I've got to have tht as my ring tone lol I got downeaster Alexa right now I wanted something different too tho.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:20 PM

Thats Zimno - just kidding.

It was done by a guy in long Island around 2004. I 'm not sure of his real name but he went by the sur name of OZ.
I remember downloading the music as oztown records for preservation. If I find anything else I'll post it.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Official Member

The best book I have ever read is called Fly Fishing The Coast. The bible to reading the beach. You may never have surfed but understanding the dynamics of wave formation is key. A good pair of polarized glasses. Look down at the sand. Are there clams washed up? Bait fish? Areas where crap washes up all the time? Make friends with everyone who jogs the beach or has a dog. These are your pawns to gathering info.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckphelps View Post
Has any one tried google earth?You can really zoom in and see where the rips are in some of the areas,really nice around the cape,plus if you live inland like me and can't always get to the surf to study, it's also a great tool to find new spots to tryout.

Dude thats awesome!!!! I have heard ppl talk about using google earth but never actually saw it applied. I just started puttin in leg work to scout out some coastal waters for the fall run. Like a few other guys that posted, I was unclear on how to identify soft structure, but have recently had success with it. Could chalk it up to coincidence but either way the results have been good. I fish the rivers and local harbors alot during the spring summer because of proximity, but trying to focus on the suds for the fall run, as the bigger fish seem to be emptying out of the bays. Not breaking any records but my average catch has improved from 31-34 inchers to landing some 36+ inch bass. Lotta useful info in this post, nice input by all.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:58 PM
Official Member

Diving birds guide you but so the swimming ones- Cormorants - Pay attention to them too