Best Striper Bait Surf SetUp Advice - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Official Member

Default Best Striper Bait Surf SetUp Advice

I want to get into it! Looking for sage advice from the experienced striped bass fisherman who know surf bait casting. Want to purchase a rod/reel set up that will last. I appreciate quality as well as value. Budget: under $500.00.

Do I need to consider maintenance in the choice? WOuld a spinning rod that is sealed be best for low maintenance?

I'm heading up to the mod-coast of Maine for a week and would love to get the rod/reel asap.

Best,
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Best Striper Bait Surf SetUp Advice

Quote:
Do I need to consider maintenance in the choice? WOuld a spinning rod that is sealed be best for low maintenance?
You mean reel that is sealed - Even a sealed reel needs maintenance. (van staal makes an optional kit for maintanace. Out of budget range.)
First is the reel likely to get wet?
Is extreme distance casting a necessity?
Are you experienced with a multiplier type casting reel? (conventional)

If the answer to these questions are no I would advise somebody just getting started to purchase a shimano baitrunner reel for bait fishing. If you need a stick there are dozens to choose from as far as quality, but just for bait make sure its rated for medium heavy to heavy and can handle up to 8 ounces of weight and bait.
Stay away from the Wally world specials as the guides are inferior for braided lines.
Remember its productive water, terminal tackle and presentation that catches the fish.