Long Island Sound Striper Fishing - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 03-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Long Island Sound Striper Fishing

Hey Guys,

This is my first post. I just moved out to the north fork of Long Island (oyster bay) from New Zealand. I know the fishing isn't non stop action like it is in NZ but I am going to take a crack at it this weekend and try to catch some stripers.

I dont have a boat so I will be casting from the beach. I went to the local fishing shop today and bought a 7' Ugly stick UCSP110270 (it may be a bit light but i live near a lake so thought i could use it for freshwater too) and a "Craptiva" CV600 reel, it felt pretty smooth although i dont think itll last more than a season or two at that price.

Power Pro 30lb test braided line, i figure its light enough for longer casts but strong enough for a striper

Creek Chub Striper Striker - (Black/Blue top and yellow/orange body they said those colors work well in this area.)

Anyways I wanted to know if there is anyone who fishes the Long Island sound here and if theres any advice or comments on the equipment I plan on taking out there this saturday.

Also is the lure heavy enough for surfcasting or do i need to put a little more weight on that line?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Long Island Sound Striper Fishing

just picked up my new gear and snuck off for a couple cheeky casts at lunchtime, the wind was blowing, it was low tide. I figured what the hell ill give it a good strong cast.

I lost my popper to the rocks on the first cast
Old 03-26-2010, 08:14 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

live and learn.
serves you right as i told you what to do yesterday.
but, nothing beats sheer determination so......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 02:47 PM
First Mate

Plugs are a great start to cover alot of water, but try experimenting with bait and jogs and swimbaits. see what your personal preference is and then start buying gear to match what you like best..if you just moved here dont spend any serious money on rod + reel until you know your style of fishing for stripers.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Welcome Nicky,
Oyster Bay is awesome fishing grounds. You lucked out! You're also still on the North Shore of the island the forks are a little east of you. Unfortunately that gear won't suffice on the sound. Your first decent fish, you'll know what i'm talking about. You'll need a 9' or 10' rod that can throw 3/4oz- 2-3oz. Look at Tsunami Airwave and All Star Rods. I think the best reel for your money would be a Penn Slammer. Poppers are a good call if you fish them slow and never set the hook 'till you feel the weight. Another killer lure is the bucktail although this is hard to master. Practice makes perfect! You should also get some tins(hopkins,kastmaster,etc.) 1oz.-2oz. These lures are easy to work and very productive. Tight Lines!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

last nite was good in the sound from what i heard. but this rain will put em down for a few days. good luck out there.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:48 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
last nite was good in the sound from what i heard. but this rain will put em down for a few days. good luck out there.

Whats your definition of "good?" lol
Old 04-26-2010, 05:47 PM

Skates
Old 04-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

lmfao..
no definition here... i was not the one out there. fish were caught is all i know. if it mattered to me i'd have asked specifics. won't see good fishing for a while me thinks. "lest ye out on yer skiff"

Old 04-26-2010, 09:07 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
"lest ye out on yer skiff"
If only i had one...