Making Bucktail jigs - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:25 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Making Bucktail jigs

Upperman was the creator of that style jig.. the lima bean style name was created by those that did not know who was the creator thus the proper name of the jig....
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 09:04 AM

From a surf guys perspective there are two bucktail head styles you want in your bag - Smiling Bill and ball jigs, from 1/2 to 2 1/2 oz. If you fish bridges and rivers you'll want some shad style heads.
As for boat stuff I defer to the master (Roc)

The most important thing to remember with any of the Do-It molds is that they're designed for hooks that are far too light for our applications. You'll need to move up to heavier forged hooks which means Dremelling out the mold a bit so they fit properly.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Official Member

DP you are correct I am picking up 2 five gallon buckets of wheel weights tomorrow so I should have a number of jigs up and going soon.

I do have a question for the melters out there. I just picked up a Lee melting pot and saw on their website not to use wheel weights due to the impurities. Here is the plan and question. I have a cast iron pot to melt the lead down, skim the crap off the top, and then pour into the Lee melting pot. What is the best heat source (camping stove, hot plate) to melt down lead in a cast iron pot? I like the idea of using the cast iron to get the impurities away from the melting pot and also get the clips off easier. Thatís it for now.

JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Official Member

This type of propane burner works good for melting lead outdoors. Additionally you could fry a turkey or steam a batch of clams. Just use the cast iron pot and skim off the impurities. pore the clean lead into muffin tins and you are ready to go anytime. It takes a while to clean the lead scrap and you should wear lots of safety equipment not the least a faceshield. included water makes for exploding lead spray. There is a meeting to do this on Sunday the 13 in RI. Guys from the other site are putting this together.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Striper Hunter

not sure about your wheel weight question, never tried them. but heres a few other tips. make sure the area is well ventilated, the fumes are not healthy. heat up the molds, especially if its a cold day. wet them with some old motor oil, this seems to season them. keep a spring clamp handy, sometimes your old molds dont stay closed and this will help. deburr the lead while its still warm, saves alot of time and labor. if you plan on producing anything more than a few pours, a helper will make life easier. remember to wear gloves during deburring/handling. getting the right lead and mold temperature is key to quality pours. too cold and you get junk, too hot and you have a mess. think im getting a fluke laser thermometer soon, will post my temps i use after i get it.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Official Member

OK so went ahead and started my melting process. I took a torch melted the lead off the wheel weights into the cast iron pot and then tossed them in the melting pot. WOW smoked a ton and at one point flamed up on top. I skimmed the crap off the top and then started to make my ingots. When the lead cooled off it was extremely brittle, to the point I rubbed the ingots with my gloves and heard lead scraping off. I know WW have a number of different metals however I dont feel comfortable making jig heads with this batch.

Will melting down the ingots and adding pure lead help?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:01 PM

Jersey Striper: Thanks, You have listed some good advise and cures I will find very helpful.

I always do this melting out doors.
I set up a wood table and use gloves,pliers,and glasses.
I make a small wood fire in a truck tire hub so as to keep the molds warm.
I do not like tire weights because there are too many impurities.
Good Luck.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Official Member

you might be better off buying your lead from a plumbing supply house,
you get nice pure soft lead, that way you gain some experience pouring jigs, you can always go back and use wheel weights later, it helped me when i first started pouring.

be careful ''safety first''
Old 01-10-2010, 01:20 PM
First Mate

I got lucky with my lead. I was helping some friends remodel their bathrooms. As it turned out thes house were all built arount the same time. Well the tubs and showers were set in lead. We must have a a couple hundred pounds of very clean stuff. I can remember 20 30 yrs ago the stuff was cheap. Not anymore, get what you can now as it is getting more costly and 95 to 98% of the lead gets recycled. You might be better off getting the lead from some batteries, I think you can add baking soda or powder(have to check-getting forgetful) to the acid to make it much less caustic. Heck I was at the recycle center and went through with a sharp chisel and hammer. A couple wacks took the post right off. Did not take to long to get a little over 10 lbs. I grab the stuff wherever I can get it.

This is from the batteries, I got 2 containers(10lbs) in a very short time. Well had to melt into ingots also. You would be surprised what you can get when you keep your eyes open and ask nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lead.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	12627  
Old 01-10-2010, 01:30 PM
First Mate

with wheel weights much of the stuff has alloys in it. There is something that can be added to bind or burn off but usually the temps needed just are not possible with household conditions. Do a search, I remember seeing something on tv about this(maybe dirty jobs-not sure though).
I'm pretty sure just good heat and a decent burn will do it though(depends on weights) make sure you skim off everything so that all you have looks like shiny liquid chrome. If it was brittle them it may still have been dirty or cooled way to fast
God I remember buying 50lb+ rolls of the stuff(flashing) for very little money. I picked up about 8lbs of good stuff at a few yard sales this summer(old sinkers) for nothing-$0

Some other good lead I got came from some old lead plumbing elbows and hubs. I gave a freind of mine about 25lbs of stuff I pulled out. If you know a plumber(know him well) ask hime to save you any lead he gets. He will usually give that up, don't ask him for his copper though. you would be surprised what a six pack or so can get you.
Just trying to give you guys some ideas where to get cheap or free
Old 01-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Official Member

I am going to be using the wheel weights for sinkers. I will just pop them on a scale to at least have an idea of how much they are. The only issue now is that I have a five gallon bucket of wheel weights, so if ya need some let me know. I am going to hit up my plumber on Monday and see if he has any lead.

As far as bucktail color (dont shutter) has anyone experimented with different color combinations. I know white white white but I was thinking about tying some up to replicate the flies I have seen on the other board. Just a thought.

If you guys need anything I highly recommend Barlow's. The cheap bastard I am put Barlow's prices up against a lot of dealers and WOW every-time they won.

JD
Old 01-16-2010, 04:49 PM

I like to use the smilen and balls.Also I ask around friends who might have lead and offer to pay or buy em some beers for the lead.Wheel weights have a load of impurites so it takes some doing.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 AM
First Mate

Just remember, it wont help much now but in the spring is yard sale season. Last fall I hit a a few of them Did well getting a 704z, St Croix Primiere rod and 11' Ugly for $50. One added bonus was one of them had several old tackle boxes full of assorted stuff(FREE). In this stuff I picked out almost 10 lbs of asst. sinkers along w/ several old rare plugs. I also bought a box of plugs for $10, after going through I realized I had 3 original Windcheaters and 3 more old discontinued Rebels-7" floating and sinking. I had sold off a bunch of the other stuff almost tripling the $60(in total) I spent and still almost filled a tackle box with what I kept. I still have one old box that appearently is a collectors, and was offered $75 bucks for it. The guy should
picking up this weeknd. In all that one yard sale was a jackpot.
The easy way right now for lead is Ebay, the prices a pretty decent. If you can get lead from a friend then of course it should cost less. What the description as Soft lead is usually pure and hard lead most likely has alloys. Usually the ones from the shooting range are good stuff-can be bought any where from 10 to 50 lbs.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Official Member

Jersey

Thanks for the input, I am asking any plumber I can think of to help my cause. I will def take into account the idea of hitting the yard sales and such. I am going to hit ebay to night for the lead and we will go from there.

Thanks

JD
Old 01-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Official Member

Just scored a free toaster oven at my town's dump swap pile. This is going to cure up my jigs and best of all FREE.

JD