Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Sluggos ?

Tags
bait slugos
17K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  JakeF 
#1 ·
Whats everyone's honest opinions on sluggos? If you like them. . . what colors and set ups work well and how do you fish them? I fish for large mouth using gary yamamoto senkos and such, any similarities? Also if you don't like them, why?:10187:

#2 ·
a few good surfcasters are into senko's and power baits in the back bays. they don't just catch small bass either. like every plug/lure/jig/bait, you have to commit to what you know will always work in the piece of real estate you are working them. variety is a happy accident and once you key in on fish with something it always stays in your arsenal.

#5 ·
Little green senko when the sand eels are around and hold on! Sluggo's work and have worked for years! Got Stryper is good but they don't glue well and tend to slide off the jig head in heavy current.

#10 ·
:iagree: The Got Stypers are way better. Heck even the Hogys blow the sluggos away. I picked up 8 packs of Got Strypers at the Expo last weekend. Another awesome rubber bait is from Bill Hurley either the Striper Magnet or the rat tail. He has awesome jig heads with the best jg paint I have seen-plus like the Got Styper they have a swivel eyelet on them. The Rat Tail is made with Eel oil and are very popular in MA and area. To find them google Bill Hurley Lures there is also a link to a article writen about his stuff
Here is a link to the NEsportsman article http://www.nesportsman.com/articles/article202.shtml

Oh and he makes swim baits that have moving eyes

This setup has what is called the mouse tail, but look at the jighead-awesome

Attachments

#8 ·
Those work well but I'd have to use them every trip for the the next three years to equal the number of fish I've caught on sluggos, additionally there have been times while jigging where the ron-z has failed to catch and the sluggo has. I wouldn't get too fixated on one particular plastic.

#14 ·
I did do a google search on it before posting on here and looking like a fool (lucklily), but it just got me thinkin ya know. Maybe not blinking but fish must move their eyes, or so I thought to myself so that could be an idea. Then my thought process switched from "fish-type" plugs to other aquatic delecasies (bugs, grubs, eels etc) a striper may eat and putting my blinking/shaky eyed idea into somethinglike that. I'm no plug maker so it was short lived but just the things I think about to keep my mind busy in the offseason.

StriperHyper ~ Will

#16 ·
Ha ha ha oh I know Jim just things that pop into a guy's head as he tries to pass the long days in between seasons. I'm hoping all this warm weather we're having will drive up the water temps. here in north country and I'll start seeing fish before early June as is usually the case. I know they start showing up here in mid to late May but in small numbers and until then this lame brain of mine will keep pumping out ideas..............some good...............most not so much!!! :lff3:

StriperHyper ~ Will

#20 ·
i've been fishing with the hurley lures for 9 or 10 years and they out perform any other lure. The sand eel from a few years ago have no rival. I mostly fish the Cape. Over the last five years sand eels have become very abundent in the bay and off Chatham.
good luck and tight lines

#21 ·
Sluggos use a plastic with a durometer of 30 versus 42 for the GotStryper lure. This higher durometer yields a lure that typically can catch from 10 to 20 stripers on the same lure. If you fish a lot, this feature can save you big bucks.

The GotStryper lure is also available in a martini clear color. The clear lure can be custom colored with a fine magic marker by drawing a line in the top slot. The color of the line is projected onto the bottom of the bait. Try this with a red line and the bottom will look like it is bleeding.

#23 ·
This talk gives me an Idea....in Florida they fish for bass with a 9 in DeLong Bass Witch they are segmented for action and have a heavy braided line between the two pre rigged hooks,these are SUPER tough plactic believe me I fish HEAVY COVER ,LILLY PADS with them they come in lots of colors are in a nifty plastic tube and have scent built in ,I'm going to try them tonight ,will post results

#26 ·
Who said that RED is not a good color for stripers, The photo below shows a 44 pound striper caught in North Carolina in February of this year. By the way, the fisherman also caught thirty more on the same day varying in size from keepers to thirty five pounds. The lure that was used was a 9 inch RED Got Stryper Pintail.

Attachments

#28 ·
Amen to that man....was wishing I had some small sand eel colored sluggo's the other night. I sat and watched a whole bunch of stripers gorging on tiny bait by the thousands.............didn't have anything to "match the hatch" though as they say!!! Ahh well, there's always next time!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will

#30 ·
i use 5 colors of sluggos. all rigged the same... 1 1/2 oz owner saltwater bullet jig heads, with Dacron wrapped around the collar. I then out superglue over this and attach the sluggo after ive cut the round part off so it fits flush against the jig head. works very well.

I use white and yellow al year in day or bright nights and black at night and black over red as well but more on darker nights for more contrast. Finally when we have squid its all pink. does it matter I dont know but is all about confidence for me.

as a side note I have been using tikis this year with great success,and they are cheaper than sluggos too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.