Another "What rod/reel combo" thread - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:35 PM
NOOB

Wink Another "What rod/reel combo" thread

Hello,
I posted this question in my older thread in the Newbie section but getting no responses, and having narrowed it down some I figured will try again.

I was looking for a budget setup. something that would allow me to throw plugs but also chuck some chunks everyonce in a while. from reading many posts on here I figured that 9' rod would be a good start.

Found Cabelas Salt Striker/Whuppin' Stick combo for $55. Rep in the store told me that they are too soft, even their MH and suggested Daiwa D-Wave combo ($60) which was a lot stiffer but the reel seemed crappy. I didnt know what to pick (surprise, surprise) and then another dude suggested the Daiwa Sealine 9' Surfcasting rod rated 1 to 6oz ($45) and a Salt Striker Metal Reel 50 or 60 ($40 on sale). the rod was the lightest of them all (graphite) so I picked it up but the reel has to be ordered online.
Do you think this would be a good setup? i read some mixed reviews on the Salt Strikers. It would be a little bit more than I expected to spend but not much and I did like the feel of it.

Please let me know what you think. Thank you in advance for your help.
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Another "What rod/reel combo" thread

I think you'll be happy with the rod. The reel I really do not know so I can not answer that. I did like a PennSargus 6000 for $80...well worth the few extra $$ IMO because I don't want to replace a reel every year. Sometimes the cheapest option turns out to be more expensive in the long run. Plus I'd want to be able to pair them up and feel how they are together before making a decision. I also prefer to buy in person than on line just in case something goes wrong I have someone local that knows me and I can deal with
Old 08-20-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublerunner View Post
Sometimes the cheapest option turns out to be more expensive in the long run.
Sometimes ???
Try almost every time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 09:41 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Sometimes ???
Try almost every time
.....because i learned the hard way. dont skimp out when it comes to quality of your gear....get good stuff from the get go. you wont be sorry.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:20 PM
NOOB

thanks guys
I have Cabelas close by so if I have to return it its not a problem.

so based on your responses so far YES on the rod and NO on the reel.
salt striker is $80 regular price if thats any indication.
that Penn you mentioned is pretty nice too. 6000 is the way to go with my rod?

Also LL Bean has a nice reel. anybody know anything about those?
Old 08-21-2009, 12:47 PM
First Mate

Some of those Salt Striker reels were good and some were junk. A few years ago they had some very good reels for the price. Then something happened and the reels were junk. From what I understand they may have fixed the problems with the newer metal Salt Stikers, but maybe not. One way to tell is check the feed back. If you get a bad one there is a real good chance you will know quickly and with Cabela's return policy that should not be a big problem providing you don't have to keep shipping things. Also the down time can be the worst of it, because you can't fish without your gear. I have used a few Cabela setups and have not had a problem though.
I had used a Okuma Epixor reel a few weeks ago and thought it was great. THis was not a brand new reel either as it had some miles on it and it did everything it should very nicely. Even being a bait runner model it still was not to heavy to be casting for hours and was great for live lining. You can get a non bait feeder Epixor for around $70(well for the right striper size reel)-Model EF45 and up. The bait runner model EB-30 or EB-50 will run you around $90
For may years folks have been catching stripers on $60 rod/reel setups but just be aware that they may not last. SEE SUDSY'S QUOTE
Old 08-21-2009, 01:58 PM

Ugly stik 7' 8' and a shimano 4500b baitrunner - good all around combo for this area dude
Old 08-21-2009, 02:05 PM
NOOB

I think I saw those Okumas at Sports Authority last night. they were on clearance well below $70, unless it was a different model.

I do realize that you "get what you pay for" but being so new to this I cant justify spending $100's on gear. at least not yet.

I still wonder about those LL Bean reels. LOL
it felt very solid and their warranty is great too.

with 2 weeks left till my trip I should have this thing figured out.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:19 PM

Be careful of the reels at the big box stores like Walmart, Dicks and Sports Authority. Very often the reels your looking at are made / modified for those stores with cheaper parts. Walmart in particular, sells Abus with bushings instead of bearings.

The last (and only) Okumas I bought were two fresh water reels for my boys for Xmas - that spring they promptly fell apart and Dicks wouldn't take them back, they told me to contact Okuma. Okuma said they were special runs for Dicks and to deal with Dicks. I solved that by never buying another rod or reel from Dicks and never buying anything else from Okuma.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:20 PM
NOOB

WOW that sucks
I knew that those stores could have lower end models but not the same model reel made with crappier parts. so Cabela's may be my last option.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Striper Hunter

i got the okuma sentara 8' combo at dicks awhile back
the reel is garbage , the rod is pretty decent though
Old 08-26-2009, 03:18 PM
First Mate

If you can still find them, they are out there. The Shimano Baitrunner B series is a great buy. Most folks have them discounted due to the new D series. I quess that Shimano is dicontinueing the B series reel.
As for any reel maker or even almost any thing I buy-I try to never buy a store line no matter what maker it is. Like Sudsy said many box stores have special lines, for instance I had bought 2 Moen shower/tub valves-one from HD and one from my normal plumbing supplier. I took apart both valves to see if there was a difference and there was. The thing is that my prices from my supplier are very close and sometimes better than what HD charges.
I was at Dick's a week or so ago ad was looking at a bunch of Penn reels. I tried about 7 of the same model and I don't think 2 of them felt the same. I wonder if they have a special made reel for them from Penn, these were 750ssm's so it's not like they were a special line. It just stinks though as many of these big stores have hurt the little guys or even driven them out of business. Most of the stuff at dicks in the cheap stuff anyway