4/22 hearing,,, - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Rhode Island Fishing
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rhode Island Fishing Rhode Island striped bass fishing - Local discussion & reports

Old 04-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Official Member

Default Re: 4/22 hearing,,,

hey guys reading the rules and regs from this hearing confused me we dont need licenses yet, correct? for rec purposes I only get out 30 to 40 times a season but just got a boat and would like to do a little claming for some bait anyone know if ill need license for that?
Bob in newport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009, 04:07 PM
First Mate

No licenses unti 2010
Old 04-23-2009, 04:13 PM

No need for a clamming license for a Rhodie resident.
The fishing license/registration issue is still in the works with RISA claiming to have come up with the perfect solution that would only cost $3.00. Personally I can't comprehend how this will work, or how it will affect non residents already in the system with home state data collection. They plan on an equal fee/charge for out of staters. If I read the regulations clearly, an out of state angler can challenge the Rhode Island registration as being redundant, and unenforcable. If I wish to fish another state and my Rhode Island fee has no reciprocation for other states I then am forced to pay for a license every where I fish.
This is the typical RISA approach to everything, get something through, without the proper research, using incomplete information, toss in a bunch of propaganda, and not worry that you affect a lot more people than the ones that waste the 25 dollar membership fee every year.

oops! Did I say that out loud?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009, 06:44 PM
First Mate

I didn't hear a thing. This is typical live in RI and pay vist RI and don't pay S#$*T. Three dollars is a joke.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:31 AM

Things that concern me.
There is no way $3.00 is going to make this thing work.
The money has no protection
The fee can be hiked at any given time for any reason
It's actually going to be more for folks that can't do it on line.
No actual working system for point of sales collection, or how much more for the collectors.
Nothing goes into the resource, as it is not a W/B program. Nor does affect our numbers for possible expansion into 4 to 1 instead of level minmum funding as we stand now.

I don't understand why they have such a huge problem with the word "license" when it is actually the one word that will insure the funding is protected, does the job for registration, and designates that the monies go back into the resource.

As a hunter and fresh water fisherman, I've watched protected monies utilized for salt water programs coupled with Game fish restoration funding. Add the numbers from the salt water anglers at say $10.00 a pop, and then figure how many back burner programs could be completed in the first year.

I could pick this thing apart without any thought at all, just by what I've read in the fish wrap that the club puts out.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:20 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

I knew it!
This state sux!
Right side of the Pawcatuck River I can keep 10 Blackbacks,, left side I can keep only 4!
Need to pay dues in 2010 in RI, CT, MA, & NY?

Everyone said I was nuts. But I still say it would of been much better for everyone if we made it federal.
One liscence for the entire US of A with everyone playing by the same rules.
Size limit the same for everyone Rec, comm, or party boat. From California to Maine.
This is all bullshit!
What? The stock doesn't get effected if you keep more fish in NY than in NH???
What kind of cluster fu&* is the Marine Councel trying to pull now?
RISA is total biassed bullshit anyways. What good is a private interest group going to do for anyone but themselves anyways? And this damned state's political system gives them their blessings?
All about the money, NOT the fish! Party boats pay and make more for the State's cookie jar than the Recs do is what it boils down to.
Them (state) political basterds don't give a damned about the fish stocks. Never did & never will.

I'll tell you,,, you may not want to fish with me because I'm not going to be overly concerned with any rule breaking I can get away with. This is total B.S.!!!!!
Old 04-30-2009, 07:51 AM
Pro Staff

I hear ya Gary. So what do you suggest we do about it?
Old 05-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Think it's too late now.
When I was sayng "Federal", everyone said we'd loose the money from the state to do good things for the local fishing community(?).
Don't know, but from the past experiences this state has a problem keeping money out of the General (pockets) Fund.
$15.00 pheasant stamps,, all they do is blame the Yotes for eating what they don't stock to begin with.
State watewrfoul stamps (on top of the federal),,, what happens with that money??? Damned if I can see (imagine) where it's going.
R.I.s Public Rights of Way, State simply doesn't WANT to enforce these. They don't want to piss off the elite mucky-mucks with money to keep them open.
Someone please tell me again how money from State Liscenses willbe used?
Gonna stock sea trout? more ramps? more access? Don't think so.
Mark my words. It'll take no time at all before the state says an increase is needed to pay for men, computers, buildings, vehicles, programs etc.
Just a new toe hold to get their greedy hands a bit deeper into the pockets is all it'll boil down to.
In 5-10 yrs. you'll be paying big bucks for a Striper Tag just like deer, pheasant, and turkey.
Marine Fisheries Councel is anouther big laugh. Has to be a payday there somewheres.
Federal should control federal / shared items like the Atlantic Ocean, national fish stocks, etc.
Whales, Seagulls, swans, boxturtles, eagles, hawks are all federally controlled.
So why are the stripers, flounder, fluke, scup, etc. state controlled?
Old 05-01-2009, 05:24 PM
First Mate

Amen.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Striper Hunter

To me the easiest best way to avoid having the state spend my money is to not giving it to them in the first place. I thought that was RISAA's motivation with the $3 online registry, the $3 pays for administering the thing and the state doesn't get squat out of it.

As far as the species rules goes the state and RIMFMC only gets to choose from those options. The real catch allocations are done at the ASMFC and the fisheries management councils.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Striper Hunter

NY will be putting out a $10.00 saltwater licence or stamp Next year. They haven't decided how the format will shake out yet, but their politicans have pinned the price at $10.00 bucks. That will include the Hudson River and any of its tributaries that are fished for Striped Bass, Shad and Herring. That is for the whole tidal stretch of 160 miles from NY City to the Federal Flood Control Dam in Troy, NY.

Howzat for a stick in the eye!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the updates fellows.

Im trying to keep the info together as it comes in . heres a thread with the latest form the east coast states and what their plans or latests news is.

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...=state+license
Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Good one there Jim.
Just proves the cluster f^*k has started.

Original Federal intent; Get an accurate count on people fishing and the impact on the fishery for analysis.

(partially recipricating lisc.) If you need lisc. for some states fished in,, but not other,,, what does that do to your head count?

You have a lisc (beach/boat),,, go party boat fishing and get counted as 2 people?

Party fish 20 times per year is that counted as 20 people? (of course we all know the commercial guys are all saints and above fabricating tales to save on taxes,,, right?)

Delaware, if you have a beach pass you don't need a lisc. if on the beach w/ jeep.
Same guy fishes from boat.... Now he's two people?

Guy from Arizona, buys a permit / lisc. in Maine, Delaware. R.I., Fl, Calif, Texas. Then party boat fishes 3 times in each state,,,, how many guys is that with one head? (24?)

It's all BS!

How about the logging in of #'s of fish taken for the Gov't survey? $3.00 in R.I. will cover the paperwork to satisfy the feds?
I've not heard mention at all on how this is to be handled anywheres! And that was the big part of the original intent.

I'm amazed at how the issue has drifted,,, and it's not even initiated yet.

Everyone says, "what's it gonna cost me?"
Nobody wonders, "How's it gonna work?"
Anyone even remember how this all came about in the beginning???
Probably very few.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Striper Hunter

Anyone know what the latest is on the RI registry or license or whatever they want to call it?