Building jointed lures - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:11 AM
First Mate

Default Building jointed lures

When building jointed lures is actualy jointing them like the last step?

Should i paint and then connect?

And when making jointed were you use eye screws and steel shaft is it the same process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2008, 09:21 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Building jointed lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark12 View Post
When building jointed lures is actually jointing them like the last step?

Should i paint and then connect?

And when making jointed were you use eye screws and steel shaft is it the same process?
First, what do you mean by jointing them.... when you build a jointed plug, it must be planned from the very beginning, the weighting is totally different, making the plug a jointed one, is not an after thought.... if it is a large plug ( like a giant pike) turn it in two pieces.... if it is a smaller plug, turn in one piece and cut it, but prior to cutting, all hook and weight holes should be marked...

also before turning, you mast decide weather you are going to through wire , pin or use screw eyes to make your plug,My small joint eds ( under 4") are assembled with screw eyes, special custom builds are pinned, the rest ( and most) are through wired, each method requires it's own steps... personally, I prime, paint and epoxy each plug prior to Assembly ( except needle fish and bottle plugs) I do not assemble my plugs until after they have been epoxied, this includes jointeds... other builders assemble first then epoxy, I dont, I believe that assembling the plug after epoxy make a more durable and neater plug.. just my opinion,for most it is much easier to epoxy the plug as a unit...
Old 12-20-2008, 11:31 PM
First Mate

i like the eye screw and steel shaft style used in many baits like those on muskysnax.com i think ill try epoxying first and try another one put together and do every thing and see which has greatest succes.

as far as saws,
how much of a difference is these in a band saw and scroll saw... can't they each do the others job well,
id like to use it for shaping plugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 12:31 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark12 View Post
i like the eye screw and steel shaft style used in many baits like those on muskysnax.com i think ill try epoxying first and try another one put together and do every thing and see which has greatest success.

as far as saws,
how much of a difference is these in a band saw and scroll saw... can't they each do the others job well,
id like to use it for shaping plugs

people use screw eyes because they are convenient ...they work fine in all but real soft wood... if you use them in soft wood a little epoxy on the threads will keep them from twisting free...

Band and scroll saws both wok fine, but if you need to make tight turns, you need to put a 3/16 or 1/4" blade on the band saw... the thinner blades are no good for ripping or resawing, I hate changing blades from one size to the next, too much time adjusting, so personally, I have both...
Old 12-22-2008, 05:58 PM
First Mate

my friend has a band saw and i believe there is a band saw school... i dont have the money for these power tools rite now but i got in touch with a technology education teacher in school who will stay after school wit me every wednesday so i can build plugs.
I have been looking at scroll saws on sale at sears. will a sixteen inch be fine for all my work?

and also, for the good shaping is tht a scroll saw tht i should stick with?
i no the band saw is more for straight cuts...i think

thanks for the help everyone
Old 12-22-2008, 07:36 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

if your going to spend the money, a band saw is a better investment if you can only afford one tool, just buy a few different size blades and you will be all set, even with a 1/3" blade, a band saw can make some pretty tight cuts..... I cut everything rough and finish on my disc or belt sander....