Fish Guts???? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Fish Guts????

In Massachusetts, is it illegal to throw your fish guts in the water? I was at a spot yesterday evening, I bled, gut and iced my fish. I took the guts and threw them back in the water. Well this led to a colorful discussion of the regs. I took a peek at the regs and couldn't find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2008, 10:47 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Default Re: Fish Guts????

i think your fine...and besides, the scavengers of the seas including flying dump rats will most likely pick up after you...just dont leave trash behind.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:06 AM

where can i find the regs for ocean fishing. i am very new to saltwater and am currious as to what the regs are. when fishing the merrimack i saw signs saying it was illegal to filet your fish on the shore. also a few years ago when i was on the beach before i started surf fishing, i saw a few guys chumming from the rocks with cut up bait fish. is this legal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric
where can i find the regs for ocean fishing. i am very new to saltwater and am currious as to what the regs are.
Everything is in this forum Eric.https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/forumdisplay.php?f=34
All State regulations
Massachusetts Fishing Regulations
Old 06-25-2008, 11:28 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

"No discarding of legal size dead striped bass. Fish must be transported with head, body and tail intact to allow for measurement"

That is straight from the MA Saltwater Recreational fishing Guide and it is the closest rule they have regarding the gutting of the fish.....as long as the fish is 28" long it's legal right? I have no clue why they say "the body and tail intact" Be careful as gutting the fish could go against their rule about the body and tail being intact. It still doesn't make sense to me though. You could have a 45" fish and if you cut the tail off it is still a good 35+ inches at least but for some reason that isn't good enough for them.

I'm sure they've had problems in the past with people saying " Well it was 28" BEFORE I cut the tail off"....which is probably why they have that rule

Especially be careful with Striped Bass....I remember the lady at the bait store in Hull telling me that you can't even scale the fish on scene. (and even though she's a woman she DOES know a thing or two about a thing or two..... especially fishing and striped bass)
Old 06-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks! I figured as much. I just assume as long as the striper is intact so they can determine the length it's cool. I believe the reg the other guys were arguing over was refering to dumping a trout carcass, in saltwater and vice-versa.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:51 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

No problem.....I just realized one thing....your from New York so you guys might have different regulations up there...I'm sure the rules are nearly the same though
Old 06-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Striper Hunter

Talking Re: Fish Guts????

Yeah I travel up that way alot and do most of my fishing up that neck of the woods
Old 06-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Pro Staff

The MA regs on evisceration (gutting) are clear, as stated below.. No mutilation permitted, other than evisceration, which means that evisceration is fine. In my opinion, it's not usually a problem to return the guts to the water,,, the crabs have to eat too,, but please take care to do so in a way that will not lead to a littered, stinky access point.

4)Bass must be kept whole, with head, tail and body intact - no mutilation permitted (other than evisceration). The discard of dead, legal size striped bass is prohibited. To prohibit the practice of high-grading, recreational fishermen may not retain legal-sized striped bass and release said fish in favor of another larger legal-sized striped bass captured subsequently. It shall be unlawful to keep striped bass alive in the water by attaching a line or chain to the fish or placing the fish in a live well or holding car. Striped bass are measured from the tip of the snout or jaw (mouth closed) to the farthest extremity of the tail.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:58 PM
First Mate

what is evisceration? bleeding the fish?

I guess then for MA the only thing you CAN do is take the fish home with you to filet... correct? then find a place to get rid of the carcus..
Old 06-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner View Post
The MA regs on evisceration (gutting) are clear...
Evisceration = gutting,,, removal of the viscera (internal organs)