Rod/Reel Chunking for stripers in the surf - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 01-01-2005, 08:15 PM

Default Rod/Reel Chunking for stripers in the surf

What do you think would make a more ideal set-up for fishing bunker etc. and fish finders in the surf for stripers? I'm thinking of 2 options. One is using one of my father's old salmon trolling reels (a Penn 309) and matching it with a 10 heavy or 12 foot MH okuma solaris surf casting rod (both rated 3-8oz and 20-40#). Can you really cast with these things or are the backlashes going to just drive me crazy? The second option is to buy a spinning combo. I'm thinking an Okuma AV-65 and an okuma Solaris surf 10 or 12 footer MH (rated 3-8oz 20-40lb). I'm looking at all Okumas b/c they seem to be pretty good quality and they're real cheap. Is longer always better for thiis kind of surf duty? I usually use between 4-6oz. of lead.

--Chinookhead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2005, 08:56 PM
First Mate

What area do you fish mostly? I use a spinning combo with a 9 foot rod rated for 1-5 oz. I usually use a 3 oz weight with a good chuck of mackeral or bunker on a fishfinder rig. My brother actually loves using a stiff 7-ft rod and he usually does better than i do so longer isn't always better. Try what works for you and if you find a pattern stick with it.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

the chin needs to get him some speeriense with conventionals foist! if you use that reel you might want to mag it out to slow down the spool or your just going to have an overall bad fishing experience

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2005, 03:18 PM

When i'm throwing bait to the waves, i use......my 9' diawa eliminator with the penn 8500ss hangin off it, wrapped in Powerpro, my 15' diawa eliminator, with the penn 9500ss, and of course the Powerpro. both those reels go on numerous rods, the 9' the 10' etc.... up to the big boy. all plugging is done with 9' rods.

My 9' Okuma Solaris surf rod has the Penn slammer 560 series on it, and is strictly used for throwing plugs and plastics.didnt really like the okuma reels. the slammer wasn't to expensive and still survives me, that says alot for a reel.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Old 01-03-2005, 07:50 PM

A Shimano Baitrunner is always a good option for chunking.

I'll rig a bunker chunk (or mac, herring, or clam) on a hook. Hook to a 80# mono leader. Leader to barrle swivel. Next is the fish finder, then Spiderwire.

Many times I don't weight the chunk, if the current is ripping and I want a "spot" I'll add the weight.

cast, remove slack, set the baitrunner.

When the bass starts to play, it will pull line with no resistance, but I'll feel it tugging and hear the buzz of the drag. When she has it (a good run) I simply reel (which stops the freespool and sets the fighting drag) and the game is on. If I happen to miss the set, I just flip the switch and I'm back in free spool.

A firmer rod works a little better for this, but I've used this technique from crappy 6' "soft" rods to expensive 9' "stiff" rod, and it works awesome.

The 3500 is a good starter, and will handle 25#+bass just fine. If you think you'll be into lots of bigger bass and 10#+ blues, maybe the 4500.

Good luck
Old 01-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i learned a long time ago if a bass hits, point the rod toward him, open the 8500's bail and let him run, close the bail and cross his f#%&*%@ eyes! beauuuuuuutiful!

Old 01-10-2005, 03:51 PM

Default chunking

i guess my question was more about spinning vs. baitcasting. it seems to be that plenty of people have no problem with big weights with spinning. Also, has anyone out there ever magged a Penn 309 levelwind? How do you do it?
Old 01-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

you should mag a squidder (W/ an alum spool of course) or a jigmaster or my favorite - 350. if you like i will mag one for you. pm me tomorrow and you can send me the 209 and i'd be glad to hook you up. what kind of rod do you expect to use with it, cause after i'm done with it you will need to put that beeeiotch on a rod that can load and cast or it's just a regular casting reel otherwise.