Please allow me to introduce myself... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 09-29-2007, 02:11 AM

Default Please allow me to introduce myself...

Hi All,

I stumbled upon your site a while back and have been reading various posts ever since. There's a lot of good info here for a novice like me. Thanks for that.

Here's my tale of woe.
Thursday afternoon my wife said "Why *don't* you go fishing?". (She's good like that.) I couldn't think of a reason, so off I went. Put the hitch on the truck and zoomed off down the road.

It seems whenever an opportunity such as this presents itself to me, there is a wrench thrown in the works to counter balance my good fortune, and accordingly I had no bait... Called two places from the cell phone and got their answering machine message. Looks like no live bait for me today.
Question #1: Do you buy bait in advance and keep it in the freezer for when you need it. How do you keep Sea Worms ? OK, that's two questions.... #3 Where do you get bait when these shops close for the season ?

Anyway, I'm burning daylight and if I'm going to go fishing I have to press on...which I did. I launched at a public launch that I knew of at the Lynn Nahant line. I had visited a bait and tackle shop a week prior and the proprietor was full of advice. Lead line, woven line, mono, and was willing to sell a variety of lures that he assured me were known to attract fish, and all I had to do was look for sign, and structure and birds, then get myself close enough where I could launch the lure (but don't spook 'em) and retrieve it with a fish attached... So anyway...

I went for a boat ride for a couple hours, so it's not all bad news. I don't see any structure, no birds, no sign (whatever that means. (Indian talk?
)), and every time I pull in the lures that I'm dragging behind me, they're filled with sea weed. This sucks. I've had enough. It's getting late. I'm going home.

Look at all those birds over there by that clump of rocks and that tower that marks the rocks location. What a racket they're making. Diving down to water level and picking at the water...and what are those swirly... Holy shite, get the boat over there, get the rod, put the lure back on the line and cast. This is what the guy was trying to tell me. Then as quickly as I saw them they were gone. Had I spooked 'em? Then the birds were congregating again a short distance away from me. Off I go in hot pursuit, and just as quickly they were gone again. No birds, no swirlys, no nothing.

The ocean has tides. High tide, and low tide. It's a good idea to know the time when low tide occurs. I know this *now* because the route I took leaving the launch was no longer available to me on my return.
As I altered my course to the north, or west, who can say, the depth finder shallow water alarm is my constant companion. Then the weeds got thicker, and thicker until the boat creaps to a halt. To make a long story short, poking the bottom with a paddle, I adjusted the tilt to get me thru the mess and into the channell. Why hadn't I noticed that there was a channell when I left the lauch ??? I'm new at this and I don't go out too far, but there are pitfalls everywhere. The water was four of five feet deep when I left, and who cares about a channell when you have four feet of water below you.

Oh well, maybe next time I'll have bait, know when low tide occurs, and more knowledge on catching fishys ,but at least I can say that with the boat safely resting on its trailer I drove home knowing what "sign" is.

Widebody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2007, 07:58 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Default Re: Please allow me to introduce myself...

it would be a good idea..if water depth is a concearn..to get a tide chart for the area you fish, and learn how to read it..it took me a while to understand the tides..and im still learning..but planning your trip around the tide cycles will make for a better experience..and you may find that being out there along that pile of rocks..or rips in the water during a tide shift could be the key to when the fish will be there...keep a log as to where you are and what stage of the tide..wind direction and so on if you get into fish..return under similar circumstances and you may find fish again..as for bait..a good variety of lures can ease the pressure of finding "real" bait..however a recon of bait shops in between your home and the docks is something that can be usefull..their could be 8 shops along the way..but you may only deal with one or two..get to know them all and when they are open and closed..you will be suprised how many shops are along the coast line...some in back alleys you never would have thought of..
Old 09-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Pro Staff

Now there's a good first post Welcome aboard Widebody!! Live and learn right? Every time you go out you'll pick up something to remember for the rest of your life. Next time see if you can tell which direction the bait school is headed, quietly get in front of them and let them come to you, or cautiously move upwind/upcurrent of them and drift closer. Not much will scatter a bait school as well as someone flying toward them with the motor roaring.

Regarding your bait questions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21widebody View Post
1. Do you buy bait in advance and keep it in the freezer for when you need it.
2. How do you keep Sea Worms ?
3. Where do you get bait when these shops close for the season ?
1. I usually do buy bait in advance when I plan to use it. Eels will stay alive in an eel bucket with ice for several days at least, and there are usually a few mackeral or pogies in my freezer ready and waiting to get eaten.
2. Sea Worms will survive for quite a while in the little box they sell them in, as long as you keep them moist and cold. I stick mine in the fridge and they can last there for up to a week usually, if they don't get used up
3. If there's bait around in the water still (if there's not there won't be any predators around for the catching), you can catch your own. For mackeral, jigging a sabiki rig works well if you're in the right spot at the right time. If you come upon a school of pogies, tie on a large weighted treble hook and snag some, live-line what you can and freeze the others for a rainy (or cold) day. Some people also trap their own eels, throw a cast net, dig worms, etc... many ways to get bait other than retail. When that fails,, artificials aren't a bad alternative

Hope that helps a little.
Good luck out there, read, absorb, pay attention to your surroundings, and be prepared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Veteran Striper Chaser

WELLCOME WIDEBODY- Sounds to me like you had some fun. anyway beats washing dishes.if everything fails you can allways pick up squid or mackeral at the supper market.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:47 PM
d0eb0y

First off

2nd:
i always keep a box of frozen whole squid (calamari) in the freezer incase im ever in a "pinch" like u mentioned above. Its better than nothing i guess.
And yes, the artificials are always good too,,,to be honest ive had more luck this season wit the rubber shads and small rattle traps over anything. I think its just the area i fish....its crawling with bait,,,,very small tho....so i try my best to match my lures wit the size of what it is they are chasing around.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:47 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Well, another Reading angler.... Welcome to the site....

First, you need to get some charts,... second, you need tide charts.... very important....By studying both, you can lay a foundation on which you will become famiular with the area you want to fish, you can learn where the Aids to navigation are so you can come and go at any tide....

When approaching birds working, do so slowly, watch the direction they appear to be heading, try and cut off their path of escape, and cast to the OUTSIDE of the school... if you cast to the middle, you risk putting them down....

Keep a second rod rigged with a jig, tipped with a soft plastic or pork rind, just because you cant see the fish doesnt mean they are gone....

If casting doesnt produce right away, try trolling a figure 8 pattern in the area with deep diving plugs, like Rappalas, yo zuri's or rebels... the results can be amazing....

Lastly... you live in Reading... why drive to Lynn, when Gloucester or the Merrimack are only a half hour away... no traffic, no headaches.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:31 AM

Thanks for the welcome, and answering my questions. I do appreciate it.

Good idea on the tide chart. I must have had a look on my face that said I needed a tide chart, because the bait store guy handed one to me without my asking for it. As far as the nautical charts go, I have the charts that come with the garmin, but Zooming in and out looking for atons has not been a habit. I have the plasticized chart book, and will start using it. Lesson learned.

I put my 2.5 hpTohatsu kicker on the boat for trolling. I think I may have been going too fast at between 2 and 3 knots. The kicker gets me down to a knot or so. I have to set up some kind of extension for the tiller so I can stand and steer. I adjusted the tension on the turn bias as well. After I got home I saw that there was an adjustment. I haven"t used it that much and didn't know it was there. The boat was steering wildly when I let go of the tiller on the last trip. I tried my electric kicker the trip previous to that, but it's too small for the boat, and didn't get enough thrust to go much of anywhere at all.

It ain't easy trying to controll a boat, and two lines trolling. I think I'm going to switch gears and use only one rod. It's just too much confusion starting out trying to steer the boat, bait the hook, get the line out etc. I'm going to anchor someplace adn fish next time as well. Then I don't have to worry about crashing into anyone when I'm distracted.

I've been to Boston harbor via the Amelia Earhart Dam/Lock by Mystic River, and the launch at Schraftts with my brother in law. I caught a blue fish there a few years ago. I always wanted to launch out of Lynn/Nahant since I knew where the launch was. I went out of downtown Ipswich time before last adn caught a small blue. At least I think it was a blue. By the time I had reeled it in and tried to get the damned thing under controll it slipped off the hook and over the gunwale, back to it's mama. My last outing was at Newburyport. There's a nice public launch with twin piers, where they charge you five bucks to launch. There was no attendant there on Tuesday morning tho so the price was right.
Gloucester or Rockport are good possibilities too, but I'm not sure where to launch in Gloucester. I know there's a place in Rockport way out that is open to the public tho.

Anyway I lost a lure in the rocks out before the jetty's. Another lesson learned. No fish at all, until I left and this guy asked me if I wanted a bag of bait fish of some kind. As I was leaving mind you. They're in my freezer waiting for my next excursion. A chunking we will go.

I'm taking down the names of these items you are listing and I'll pick them up next opportunity. I'm listening.

This site has an amazing amount of info available, and I have just scratched the surface reading the different areas adn posts. There's a lot to digest here. every time I browse around I find something new.
Thanks again.

Hey Roc, Nice little town ain't she ? We've been here for five years and like it a lot, except for the taxes of course.
Widebody
Old 07-17-2008, 01:46 AM

finally caught a keeper last weekend using a santini lure and worm trolling around Boston harbor. now i need to get better at filleting the fish. i gave it my best shot, but i know that i could have done better. there must be a video somewhere that shows teh proceedure.

pan fried with flour, corn meal and goya seasoning was fantastic. No catsup allowed.
thanks for this great forum, it really helps. i'll be back to fishing again soon looking for another.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:21 AM
First Mate

Congratulations on the fish. Try http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f for filleting. Youtube has all kind of good clips.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Pro Staff

Hey there he is! I was reading your posts again just the other day and wondering if you'd given up or were still fishing. Congrats on the keeper!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Young salt

That had to be THE best first post (I'm assuming it was ur first anyway, back in '07) I've ever read. I know what it's like to go out on a whim, no bait to speak of, throw all your gear in the ride and just go. I don't think I have any advice that hasn't already been said, but I can assure you that what you did learn in that one day, may have been more beneficial than catching a fish. Next time you go out, I guarentee ya you'll know exactly when the tide is gonna change, have your escape route planned out, and will be able to creep up on a flock birds in super stealth mode. The good news is you were able to encompass so many different facets of "the hunt" in one fell swoop!!! Best of luck to ya and congrats on the keeper.....a job well done for sure

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 07-17-2008, 04:53 PM
in awe of real fisherman

Congrats on the fish!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:41 PM

Congrats on the keepah. It sounds like you're learning a lot. The beauty of fishing, for me, is that there is always stuff to learn. You can become expert in different styles, methods and situations. I doubt you could ever know it all (but some folks prolly come close.) This is actually the first year I finally stopped worrying about not having bait (I used to keep frozen bait in the freezer much to my wifes displeasure). I actually have more confidence in lures now and am having a great year (for me anyway). I am liking eels too. Have fun out there and keep learning/fishing.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickski View Post
Congratulations on the fish. Try http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f for filleting. Youtube has all kind of good clips.
There are a ton of clips for filleting on youtube ! Thanks !