Looking for a little help - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

View Poll Results: Free Bait/ Baitfeeder system on when striper fishing?
Always 2 20.00%
Sometimes 6 60.00%
Never 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2004, 01:27 PM

Default Looking for a little help

Hello, I've been fishing in CT for a couple weeks now, but I'm still a relatively inexperiecned fisherman (1 1/2 years). I've caught a couple mid sized stripers recently, but have a also lost a couple and am looking for some opinions on Baitrunner reels. Now, it seems to me that if a fish (be it blue, striper etc.) hits very hard, and the baitfeeder/runner system is off, he will hook himself. However if the bait system is on and I cant get to it fast enough I sometimes dont catch the fish. Is it recommended or not to keep the bait system active? Also, I tend to prefer nylon coated steel leaders with a smallish bluefish hook for their durability. I also have monofil leaders with smaller striper hooks. I've had fish on both types, but has anyone else noticed a fish not biting one or the other? Thanks

(Using mackerel for bait)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2004, 04:47 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

First off, welcome to the board!

You want your liveliner (baitrunner) disengaged when chunking. You should only have your 'runner engaged when live lining a bait fish. You said your using mackerel for bait, but I am not sure if your live lining them, or throwing chunks. If you are live lining the mackerel, then yes, your baitrunner should be engaged, and the drag for the baitrunner should be set properly. You should have 2 drags on your baitrunner reel, one front, and one rear. The rear is the one for the baitrunner. And if you are live lining the mackerel, I would suggest using a Mustad live bait hook, you can get packs of them at Wal-Nuts for 97 cents a pack, its a steal. Bend the barb in on the live bait hooks, then rig the mackerel up, throw it out and if you detect a strike, reel in the slack, then set the hook with authority. If you wait too long before setting the hook, the fish will gut hook it. Your baitrunner will disengage the moment you begin to reel down the slack on the fish. BTW, are you live lining with a balloon?

Hope this helps a bit, I tried to be as descriptive as possible :) Good luck.

Old 07-09-2004, 10:20 PM

By live lining, you mean hooking a live mackerel and letting him swim around attracting fish? If so, no- my friends and I use the baitrunner function fairly unprofessionally. We purchase frozen mackerel at the bait shop, cut into strips and put on the hook. The literature I received with my reel didnt detail the fine points of using the runner, so we just assumed it was useful at any time, given that it does provide a solid indication of when the fish is actively pulling as opposed to nibbling or crabs.
I will have to look into those live bait hooks, though I dont know where to find live mackerel around here. I live in Connecticut, in the New Haven area, so I could come by "Kellies" fairly easily. I think this is a slang name so you might or might not be familiar, but these are small dark fish which are fairly common in the area. Measuring in 2-4" they might be large enough??? Anyway, thanks for your input on this- and if you or anyone else think of anything, feel free to add it! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2004, 11:12 PM

Default Aj

Welcome to the board. I think the kellies your referring too are killies. . These are killie fish (brackish water fish found in creek tributories near rivers that lead to salt water.) mummichogs. They are great bait for fluke but not as good for stripers. Your area bait shops should have bunker, mackeral. clams and eels for bait. Frozen bait is OK but try to find fresh bait no more than a day old or live eels.
I use a plastic fish finder or an egg sinker so the fish doesnt feel the weight when she picks up the bait and runs off with it. If you feel a hit and nothing wait a few seconds. They will come back for it.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:56 PM

Well as for fresh bait... sandworms are available. What do you think of those? Only problem I see is their durability. There are several thousand hungry crabs which fight the fish for the right to tear my bait apart :D As for live eels, they arent worth the money (1.50 each) for the moderate size fish close by my house. Going out where there are bigger fish ill have to give them a try. I'll definitely try fishing without the baitrunner, which I always noticed gave me more success Thanks a lot for the input. Forums are very easy to use and n00bie friedly :D
Old 07-10-2004, 12:05 AM

Default aj

Sand worms are great as are clams. You can get frozen clam bellies from the bait shop cheap. But big shelled quohog clams are even better. Soak them in salt water to toughen them up on the hook. Open them by slicing the muscle on the back side.
When I use sandworms I generally hold on to the rod to detect the subtle strikes. You can buy an eel trap down the road. Every striper fisherman should have one. About 30 to 40 bucks in specialty stores. Or just use a minnow trap with a brick.
Look for bunker jumping and bring a crappy pole with a large treble hook for snagging bunker. Cant get any fresher than snagged live bunker.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:24 PM

Here's my .02 cents as I learned to fish for stripers in CT (Milford Harbor) and I can honestly say that stripers of CT harbors act differently than stripers of RI, MA, and ME (other places I have caught "ocean" stripers.

When I fish a CT harbor with chunk, I use the baitrunner. I drop a chunk on a 6/0 or 7/0 J style hook, cast out to a favorite hole, and put the baitrunner on free spool.

Theroy I was taught, if a striper tugs and feels tension they will drop the bait. So, the bait runner lets the striper fool around with the chunk. When the striper is in mid pull, engage the drag and set the hook.

ALWAYS hold your pole. You will miss very few hits.

Caught lots of CT stripers that way.

For baits, I find worms work best May-June, but by July 1 you want eels or chunk bunker. Why - Porgies will steal your worm faster than you can bait them.

Clams are great, but I have yet to find a decent supplier in CT. In other states you can get fresh whole clams that stripers fight over. In CT I've only found frozen junk that attracts sandsharks.

If you get a lot of blues, use some wire leader or 50#+ mono leader. I've caught schoolies and 25#+ stripers on wire leaders. I don't think it makes much difference when you are chunking.

Good luck
Old 07-11-2004, 03:34 PM

I went fishing again yesterday and tried some of the advice on this forum. On one rod I kept the runner off but left the hook more exposed. The other I put the runner on but the hook well hidden in the chunk of mackerel. On both rods I caught fish, one large sea robin, and one mid size bluefish. The robins can be tricky because they nibble for a while, simulating crabs, then the hit the runner which i used to nail this particular one. The bluefish I saw a slight hit, then picked up the rod and hooked him when he returned. So now, instead of blindly using the runner I use it only in certain situations, which is a good thing.
In response to the last posting, I've also gone to what I think is Milford Harbor :roll: (commonly named the Striper Docks i believe) and caught more eels than stripers! My friend tends to catch tons of stripers while I have a monopoly on the eels! But I certainly have noticed that the stripers there are very different even from those a few miles away. They are very touchy and difficult to hook.
I'll also try to get some clams. I think I know a bait shot that sells them, but if not I'll just have to walk down at low tide and get some myself. Also, I'd like to ask another question. When fishing with crabs around (Spider, Lady, and a few Green) is it better to keep the bait moving, or just let the crabs take their toll while waiting for the big one... Thanks a lot for the input everyone.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:57 PM

Default the angle

i don't have much experience of saltwater fishing, just try to share something i got from the baitfeeder reel. In my understanding, you want the fish to take your bait without feeling the strength from your end untill you or the fish set the hook. It is for live bait only, you can use it anytime, I even use it in the strong current in the point of PI.

I can't make a conclusion, it will lose more and catch more, because I haven't caught more like your guys. I am a new hand.

But, one thing i just figured out is the angle of your rod, when the baitfeeder is on. Usually, people hold the rod at about 45 degree, and put it in the rod holder at about 90 degree. But for the baitfeeder, I either hold horizontally in my hand, or leave it in holder at an angle.

If i put the rod in a vertical holder, even the baitfeeder is on, the fish still need some strength to bend my rod, and then pull the line. The fish is either be hooked by itself and the baitfeeder just work as the loose drag, or run away. Not much difference compare to the regular reel.

Recently, i triy some angle or hold horizontally, and the fish take and run smoothly, untill I turn off the function and set.

Like the circle hook, need more practice.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbell11
When fishing with crabs around (Spider, Lady, and a few Green) is it better to keep the bait moving, or just let the crabs take their toll while waiting for the big one... Thanks a lot for the input everyone.
My experience is if a crab is on your bait you won't catch a striper. You can keep moving, or if you feel a crab, give a a hard tug and see if he'll come off.

OR - try a "Hi-Low" rig or a FLOAT rig.

Basically, you put the weight at the end of your line. You put your hook&bait 12-18 inches above the wieght. You use a 3-way swivel. Basically, you have the 3-way. One end is a line with the weight, one end is a line with the hook/bait, and the other end goes to your pole. Then, if needed put a float, put it on the hook line.
Personally, I just move the bait and skip the float or a special rig