Zaro Spook - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Official Member

Default Zaro Spook

I just fell in love with this lure. Sunrise on the Merrimack River Thursday morning I took fish after fish from a spot once I figured out how to "walk the dog".

Problem is that this lure came stock with 3 treble hooks. It was almost unfair to the fish...all they had to do was look at this thing and they were hooked up. Releasing was tough, because as soon as I pulled out one treble, another one was stuck in the fish.

You guys think I could remove the middle treble and still have the proper action out of the Spook? The lure is only about 5" long - seems to me 2 trebles is plenty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2008, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Zaro Spook

Your other option is to purchase a walk the dog style lure made for fishing stripers. Quite a few builders make them.

The plastic Zara Spook has flimsy hook hangers and is made for freshwater fish. Not only do they rust but decent sized stripers and bluefish can rip the hooks right off if you try to horse em in.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Zaro Spook

Good point Sudsy. I'll look for a similar style more robust and with fewer trebles. I lost the lucky yellow Zaro I was using anyways. I'm fairly new to throwing plugs...been using bait mostly for several years. I started throwing the spook since the fish were ignoring my mackerel chunks. Imagine my surprise when I started hooking up!