A little help rigging wireline... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Official Member

Default A little help rigging wireline...

I have just pulled the trigger on two 113HSPs today and now comes the fun part. What is the best way to rig the reel with wire line for both Buzzards Bay and Cape Cod Bay? I will be trolling, dropping umberella's, and jigging. I will have 50yds wire to 10ft Dacron for the umbrellas and jigging Buzzards Bay then another 50 yds wire to 100yds Dacron for jigging and trolling Cape Cod Bay. I am new to this so please any help you can give for this I would be grateful. I know its a lot to ask of one spool but with an 18footer and being a novice, its a start.

JD

ps I am kinda new to the site and its amazing!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 08:50 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: A little help rigging wireline...

Standard procedure is 300-350' of SS or Monel wire... I prefer monel, it is less springy and less liable to kink.... use dacron backing attached with a nail knot or an albright knot, serve the splice with unwaxed dental floss and coat with plio bond or nail polish.... your leader , should be 6-8' of floro,50-60lb.... attach this with a small swivel if you like with a hay wire twist or, with an albright knot as I do, that way the leader can be wound onto the reel without damaging the guides...

the wire can be marked by using small pieces of heat shrink tubing at what ever intervals you like, I make my first mark at 100', then each one after that at 25'... even in the dark, it is easy to count the "bumps" as they go by... but once shrunk, they are small enough to slide by the guides with out hanging up or damaging a finger, even wehn wet....
Old 04-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Official Member

Can you jig/troll with the wire in the guides or is the monel strong enough as long as you dont let it kink?

JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 12:09 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

The guides must be carboloy ... or the wire will wear through them.. yes, the wire runs through the guides, if your talking about adding a top shot of dacron, you then loose all your advantage...