long cast spool for surf - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 12-09-2004, 03:31 PM

Default long cast spool for surf

I'm looking for a reel to match my 9ft. Okuma Solaris(M) mainly for surf fishing and bank fishing in the Hudson. I'm looking at the okuma reels b/c of price. I want something with a baitfeeder since I often use bunker rigs, but also toss spoons. Do u think that a long cast spool really makes a difference? I am looking at the the Okuma Corrida, Epixor EB-50 or the Coronado CD50 and they don't have long cast spools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2004, 08:29 PM

If you are looking for a true Long Cast Spool, Daiwa cannot be beat. They put the most effort into the design of their spools. If you are using braid, you can try a Daiwa SS2600 Whisker (price btwn. $85-100) or if you use braid or mono, there is the Daiwa Team Advantage 4500S which is a good casting reel (price btwn $100-140).

Don't discount the Shimano Spheros 6000($100) which casts great and has a waterproof drag.

I have two Okuma Coronado Bait-runner style reels which I use for fresh water(Carp) but they are built for saltwater use. They baitrunner feature comes in handy so my rods dont get flung in the water from a sudden strike. Its happened to me already! I really like the Shimano Baitrunner and the Thunnus but I was looking for a more economical reel for my specific use and I went with the Okuma. So far, so good. :)