Shock Leaders - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:39 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

sea sea, yes I put a mono cushion on ALL my set ups, the ones that are filled with braid have about 10 yds. Some have 200 yds of mono and a topper of braid,it all depoends on what i'm going to use the reels for....

the reason that you HAVE to put some type of cushion (even electrical tape) is that no matter what knot you use,the braid will not cinch up on the spool,thus it continues spinning as you try to wind it on,if you get luck enough to get it to catch,it will not pack well on the spool,thus it will dig into itself creating a mess that only a knife can fix.....
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Veteran

Understood :wall: I don't use braided line. This would be casting with a bait casting reel. correct. :huh:
Old 07-07-2005, 03:57 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

the stuff even works well on spinning rods,although,with exception of a pair that I use to cast plugs to schoolie tuna,all my spinners have mono (Ande) and the conventionals have braid,the big advantage to braid is it's small diameter, but one using it must be aware of it's ability to cut to the bone, hence another reason for a mono shocker, at least if you grab the mono you have a good chance of keeping your flesh intact....
Old 07-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Veteran

I use dacron on my bait casting rods. I make a big loop and hook it to the little nail on the metal spool. If the fish takes all the line to the spool he gets to go free :huh: :wtg: The great Al Cappy rule , he lives for another day.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:49 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

ya but the poor SOB has 200+ yds of dacron behind him, he'll probably croak from towing it!

I wrap the spool twice,tie an overhand knot around the standing line,leaving it loose,then I tie a double overhand knot in the tag end and pull the tag end knot tight,and SLOWLY draw the loop closed while tightening the line around the spool,as the line draws tight the tag end jams on the first overhand knot, I've never had one fail yet and had them tested twice,both by tuna.....
Old 07-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Veteran

But he has a second chance :huh: On my spinning rods I tie a improved clinch knot and push down on it until tight. dosen't slip. works very well.