Wading Safely - Page 4 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Thanks for the insight

The Sea has many faces but no heart.

MTK during Irene
Photo credit: P. melnyk 2011
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	308308_2199071369925_1041491120_2583963_4462129_n.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	15714  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Holiday Miracle in Jersey!

A letter that was shared from a Blessed surf caster in NJ from this weekend:

My name is Todd Maiorano and I am able to write this note today beacause of the efforts of many of the members of the Berkeley Striper Club this past weekend. I was fishing off a bar in IBSP and quickly found where the end of the bar was. I was washed off by a wave and the current and was unable to make it back. As I began to drift further out to sea, fear set in as I witnessed the surfcasters on the beach getting further away. With the effects of the cold water and the weight of my wet clothes and waders that were beginning to fill, I honestly feel I only had a few more minutes left in me to fight. Unable to swim back, I can't tell you the thoughts that were going through my mind, but can say they are not ones you ever want to know or feel.

I was saved by many anglers on the beach that day and I am told they were all members of your club. Because of them, my three young children will have a daddy to watch over them and I will be able to grow old with my lovely wife. I was given a second chance....and am very thankful.

There are no words I can say that can express my gratitude towards these individuals. Please share my note with them and wish them well.

Fellow Surfcaster,
Todd Maiorano
Old 12-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Young salt

Default Re: Wading Safely

As fishermen/surfcasters I'm sure a lot of us can relate to stories like these, God knows I can. I'm glad you were brought to safety and will be able to hug your kids agin, there is nothing more important in life than that my friend. Be safe out there, no fish is worth your life!!!!
Old 12-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Official Member

As a newbie to surf fishing I have to say that this info (thanks Zim and others) is indispensable and the various accounts of experiences help to make it real.

One other bit I'll add for all us newbies is that if there are others fishing in the area and you think there is a position on the jetty or beach that would be a perfect spot to fish from, ask yourself "Why is no one else fishing from that position?"

I have a very healthy fear of drowning, but I once stepped off the eat side jetty at Moriches Inlet onto the inlet side. I did step down carefully and within two steps I realized that this was not "normal sand". I had not put my weight down fully and was stlll able to tell that this was going to suck me down.

I don't believe I was in any particular danger because I was really cautious and chose to back out immeiately. But I thought to myself as I climbed back over the jetty to the beach "Ahh, so that's why no one is fishing over there."
Old 04-05-2012, 02:15 AM
Official Member

Well said sir, ya can't hear it, or say it enough. I'd rather be fishin, than gettin my ass kicked by mother ocean. great heads up
Old 04-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

As if it weren't dangerous enough out there? I was fishing the other night. Caught three schoolies 30-35"" then a really nice clean healthy fish that begged me to take her home. I stressed this fish as it was a long fight to ensure i'd land it. As i was suspect this fish would not survive? I let it go and 15 or 20 min. Later it was on it's side. I really felt like chit trying to cast and try and snag it to then perhaps take it home butttttt...mother nature had her own idea about that. As the fish was going out with the tide the water was laid down and like a sheet of glass. I could see the dead beeotch along the channel edge another 20 min more gone by. When a large wake of water pushed the bass. Then two side to side motions of a wake. Then another push of water and the bass was gone and the water went back to being a sheet of glass. No seal that's for sure. So once again i am all by myself at three in the morning and really spooked. My night was done.. but the vision will ALWAYS be on my mind at that location thats for sure. Moral of the story? Don't kill fish. And don't get killed.