Short and bittersweet... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 05-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Steve

Post Short and bittersweet...

Went to the beach last night, alone, and walked out onto a jetty. It was many hours past dusk, and about 2 hours from flood. Foggy, pitch black darkness, only a small amount of red light was visible from the brim of my cap. Barely enough light to see the rocks under my feet. The surf was rough. White water every where, only able to see because of the sharp contrast against the dark sea. Loud, thundering waves. The waves were crashing into the jetty's peak and rumbling down around the rocks towards me and the beach. Wind in my face. I started to fish a plug at about the mid point of the jetty. With every cast I moved a rock or two forward into the darkness and further from shore. My heart was pumping and all I could think was if a wave came up and knocked me off my feet I would be in big trouble. I only made it about 2/3s of the way down the jetty. Every so often a big wave would crash up and over the point of the jetty. A reminder that would keep me from advancing.

This was my first time ever fishing from a jetty at night. It was scary and exhilarating at the same time. I only fished for about 20 minutes before I thought it would be best to just get off the rocks with the ocean so rough. Though it was brief, it was something to remember. The utter darkness, the sound of the waves crashing, the salt water spray and thick fog in the air...

I just wanted to share this and see if anyone else wanted to add any of their memories of a time fishing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 04:39 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Default Re: Short and bittersweet...

Very Descriptive. Sounds like a typical night, lol. You get used to fishing rocks and Jetties at night. Know your surroundings and never turn away from the surf, that is how you get hurt. Make sure you have Studded footwear and a good wading belt. if you are worried about filling you waders put it up around your chest. I wear a dry top that I can pretty much swim in and have. Fishing at night is more productive generally than daytime fishing and it doesn't interfere with your other life. Be safe and have fun.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Striper Hunter

When I experienced that for the 1st time I was both exhilirated and nervous at the same time. My senses were heightened and the adrenalin was flowing. I was getting into the zone and I want to go back as often as I can. It's a great feeling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Awesome feeling isn't it? Glad your OK and i suggest fishing a jetty in the daytime first so you see the rock layout and learn where the difficult rocks are. Jack's 100% right about a drytop over your waders and a non-stretch belt. Otherwise foul weather gear would be a better choice on a jetty and korkers are a must. Once you get the safety down you can concentrate on fish!
Old 05-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Striper Hunter

That's why I always carry a knife on my surf belt. If I do get swept in I can cut away at the waders
Old 05-20-2010, 09:23 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcappy View Post
Awesome feeling isn't it? Glad your OK and i suggest fishing a jetty in the daytime first so you see the rock layout and learn where the difficult rocks are.
I'd say the most important aspect is this step, i personally could probably walk out on the jetty i fish blind. Get to know your environment and you will feel 10x more comfortable.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Know your surroundings and never turn away from the surf, that is how you get hurt.
I learned that the hard way. Turning away knocked me to one knee on a reef. The back wash finished it off as it accellerated out venturi like. blammo. Sparing my rod I broke two fingers on my left hand. The fingers were pointing perpendicular to my hand. A snap back in place, some bleeding and motrin for a month. I still cant close the hand properly. (unless i have to punch with it )
A work buddy was medivaced off of a jetty years ago, broke his back.