Techniques for using Acme Cast Master - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 05-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Default Techniques for using Acme Cast Master

OK, I think we all have one in our plug bag or tackle box, but now I hear there's a correct way to actually fish an acme cast master. All I have ever done is a straight retrieve sometimes changing up the speed. I usually give it some time to sink. What are some other techniques for using one? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Techniques for using Acme Cast Master

it's a jig.. but alot of people have the 3oz one when it's the 1-2oz one to really use. sure a 3/4/5oz is great to get out there in a wind but to work that jammy is to let it flutter as it sinks to the bottom. pop it up and jig it. any metal is a bluefish magnet so i just veer away from using it unless bass are in thick and sometimes it's all you need. i personally don't like the colored ones but that's just me. i put eyes and a little strip of flash on mine. you can loop thin wire and haywire to the eye, then cut the loop to form 2 weedguards for when yer near grass. i use one for that at one spot as, you will lose alot of jigs but, one real good way to get a weakfish (if they ever show up there) i;ve caught bass racing that thing across the top looking for a bluefish. sometimes bass are alot quicker than you think..

Old 05-05-2010, 07:34 AM
First Mate

I use the very small ones for fresh water trout 1/8oz and 1/16 oz and have tons of success with those. As for the ocean i try to let em sink a bit, twitch my rod to get them to flash reel in, and repeat. Mabey there is better ways but thats my .02
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

That's the beauty of it. You can fish them in all applications. Jigging or swimming, they're deadly. they can be fished in all water columns, even ripped on top for albies. When targeting Stripers i like to let them sink to the bottom, give it a jig or two just to make it flutter off the bottom and then let it drop back down, followed by a very slow retrieve just off the bottom. I like feathered siwash hooks or sometimes tubes on the business end! I call them my fishfinder lure.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:26 AM

I know this is like a post from captain obvious but you need to consider the bottom.
Hanging them up is a pain, and you should size them to the conditions.
Quote:
you can loop thin wire and haywire to the eye, then cut the loop to form 2 weedguards for when yer near grass.
I like that modification Paulie.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Official Member

Making it weedless seems like a great idea. However, I cannot visualize what the technique is for creating the weed guard out of a wire loop. Could you please provide a little more detail? Thanks!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i'ts permanent on mine. you don't necessarily have to make it out of wire. 50# mono or fluoro is fine and just leave the loop in tact. every time i post something i gotta take a pic and show it. i don't have that kind of time. american fishing wire sells 49 strand "i believe it's like 90#. put one end on the eye and haywire on one side and push the tag end thru and back up to haywire the other side making a loop on the inside of the hook shank. it's important to use a pliers to bend the wire down to the hook point and pinch the loop close together so they are at a desired space before cutting the end of the loop in 2 spots. you can then cut the wire to exactly where the wire meets the hook point. you could leave the loop in tact but i figure that to be slightly too stiff on the hookset. this wire is very flexible and you can haywire with your fingers and a pliers quite easily. a little pliobond or knot sense on the area to finish it off. usually there is a split ring atatching the jig to the hook so it won't interfere with the action and if your hook has a little extra bucktail riding on the wire it won't hurt. i can explain the mono as well. a weedguard is just a small accessory that can "part of the time" keep a hangup at bay but it's not for that purpose. in weeds i got a tip from roc to make a loop above the jig/plug and attatch a small trebble and that will catch weed before your plug or jig does. there are a few areas i fish weed but not exclusively so i'm not prone to bothering with em except on some of my fly's. i re-read this and i think it's confusing. if i don't forget i will do it while on vacation and make a tutorial for it. kinda excentric of me to make chit like that but i get screwy ideas and run with them.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Hint;
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...1179592651.pbw

I scoff up all that I can from 1 1/2oz to 4 oz. for the right price.
Being as I'm a firm believer that the big girls hang low,, I want down to 30+ ft. Plugs don't go there (generally).
Another idea. something like what is in the above, but tie on a heavy leader and tie bucktail / rooster on the leader. Makes a awsome squid immatation.
Use your imagination and the guidelines of the flytyer's "tie sparce" and kill them deep.
Fish them like the immitation your going for.
Make a eel patern swim like a eel. Masters are good doing that.
I've removed the hook from 1 oz Masters and married it with ball bearing swivels to 2 oz. Now that's got action in a rip!
Old 05-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i've always liked the teaser but have you done it the other way and make the larger fly on the tail end ie: tie the fluoro & fly to the masters hook shank and rip it thru that way? it can get hung up on the cast depending on what fly but sometimes i like leaving it pulsate out there after it sinks.