Newbi - Looking for help ... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 03-23-2010, 04:16 AM
Official Member

Default Newbi - Looking for help ...

Ok so I am just going to come out and say it. I suck at fishing. I am not real sure on what the hell i am doing. I dont know any one in my area at all, and I am the only person in my whole family(s) that love fishing. I just got all new fishing gear, all happy and ready to go fishing again. I moved to a river - and I work near rivers. So i have many places to fish - and a fair amount of time to go fishing. I also have no issues with driving to chase the fish so to speak.

Gear, I have a mojo bass rod 7' w/ a Daiwa Megaforce Plus baitcast 60# line
Second, Ugly Stick 7' w/ okuma ef65b spinning reel 80# line

So ... I know search - search etc .. I really dont know what to search for. I been out four times, same area - then I get no bites. I stay there a few hours 4-5. Then i try new spots and stay there 4-5 hours. No bites.
I have not got a fish with my new gear at all. Most the time not even fish going for my bait. A few times, I think there just where not fish in the area - because no one was getting any fish. Other times I think my leader (cable) was scaring the fish away. I really dont know why I put a cable leader on - lame. I just put new mono leaders on so I think that issues is solved. I am fishing from the side of rivers, camping - then walking. I camp with one rod and walk with another. Or camp with both. One is shallow and on is deep.

Bait, Ive used Pile worms, Anchovies, and Sardines, preserved shads.

Just any info or pointers would be great guys, I really feel dumb and lame here.

Thanks again!
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 06:26 AM

Default Re: Newbi - Looking for help ...

Your line seems way too heavy even for braid. If using mono stay around 20# test. For braid you really don't need more than 40 or 50.
Try using flourocarbon for your leader material.

In the a river, look for feeder creeks and bends in the river and fish the points. Try looking for eddies and places where the water isnt flowing so fast. Also why not try drifting bait using a bobber with only a weight that will keep the bobber just below the surface you can let it drift and cover some ground that way.
Anchovies, sardines and pile worms. Im presuming your in California.
You might also want to purchase some small poppers and work the grassy shallow areas with the poppers.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

What he said: Mono # don't exceed 20lb, braid = 40lb or more, depending. Try to get out early in the morning, before the sun rises is prime time for feeding before the predators become prey themselves. Look for bait. Try using a small bait rod or use a trap and see what bait there is. Try different depths (top, mid, bottom) slow, fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Official Member

My line is braid maybe my bass rod has 40# on it, I thought it was 60 ... But the more I think about it I think its 40#
The other rod is 80# braid because two spots i went to get 60# was out so I kinda had to get the 80# However have no worries I need to get new line for it today I think.
Maybe the next time I go out I will try a bobber and see what happens that way.
Yes I am in Cali, What the hell are poppers?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf
Yes I am in Cali, What the hell are poppers?
Top water lures. They push water and make a commotion calling up fish to strike on the surface. Often they smack it out of the water with the tails, so resist the urge to set the hook right away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alltackle_striper_popper_kit.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	12968  
Old 03-24-2010, 01:52 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Top water lures. They push water and make a commotion calling up fish to strike on the surface. Often they smack it out of the water with the tails, so resist the urge to set the hook right away.
Hey thanks a lot! Can you post some of their names or PM me a link to a site I can buy them on?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:30 AM

Smurf where are you fishing?
Theres a lot of differences and tactics that you will have to learn for each water body and style of fishing.
The learning curve is vast.

Early Springtime fishing.
If the water is cold and your in a river with a fast current the fish are hugging the bottom. They will be lethargic and trying not to expend energy in the current and here a popper is pretty much useless. But if your in a shallow estuary where they are likely feeding on grass shrimp a popper could be the star of the show.
Read what to buy with the first $50 bucks in the beginners thread / stickies.
Essentials for the surf
Those smaller poppers pictured in the post above are made by bimini outfitters / tsunami lures.
There are many manufactures and types for both freshwater and saltwater.
Atom lures makes the smaller ones. LMGTFY

Probably a good idea for the absolute beginner to get started with is the metal Kastmaster.
The lure catches fish even if your not swimming it properly.
You can use it as a search lure in all parts of the water column. It catches all types of fish, not just bass and bluefish love it.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Official Member

Thanks for your help.

I have looked around and read a lot, and it has helped with some things. But I read some things and still don't understand them at the same time. I am more of a learn and try person.

I fish in the rivers, and the delta. Right now the rivers are high - muddy - and cold. I have been read / talking to other people here and they are saying the fish are stuck in the delta because the river is to cold right now.

When I fished last time in the delta - it was raining, and windy. I didn't want to go but I wanted to go so badly I went any way. I fished for a few hours and didn't even get a line snag so i packed it up and went home. I think I will go down there again tomorrow if it not raining.

The river is moving slow on top but the bottom is moving fast - i know it is because i can feel it in my line.
The delta is also kinda muddy but it may have been that way because of the rain - unsure about how it looks if not as windy / raining.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Official Member

Look around and see if you can get a topographical map of the river you fish.From this you can find some spots which are transition areas.You want to fish certain kinds of spots as weather conditions dictate.Being from the E coast I'm not familar with the area you speak of,but you sound determined and that my friend will help you become an excellent fisherman!!!

If you can't find a topo map look online at google earth and check out the pictures.You'll actually see areas that look fishy from the satalite pic's.Look for transition areas where the deeper water (channel) comes close to flat areas.Usually bends in the river mean the channel is close.Finding breaks in current in and around deeper water will mean fish.
You also should look for eddies in the river areas with swirling current.Fish these areas from the head of the eddy through the tail of it.

As far as what to throw you can't go wrong with the advice given in the earlier post by Jim,I would add some rubber shad body baits like the storm shads or tsunami shads.Another good bet is bucktail jigs they'll catch anything.

I would also spend some time looking for a good B&T in your area.You can learn alot just talking to B&T guy's.

Good Luck and let us know how your comming along!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 12:17 PM
drilltrash

these guys are right about the line size, i dont have over 25 lb test and thats just for my swim bait rod. most of my rods have 12-15 lb mono, but 20 is just as good. also, the smaller diameter line helps on that river. its so crystal clear, that the fish might be turned off due to your line size... if your fishing on the feather make sure your fishing below the waterfall also called shanhi bend. the feather is a really shallow river from what i've seen and i would be throwing either rattle traps, jerkbaits, or topwater like heddon super spooks, any med-large size poppers, or any bulky topwater bait. johnsons bait and tackle has a decent selection of tackle, there staff is pretty knowledgable. they are on garden highway in yuba city. also, star bait and tackle is in linda (other sided of marysville) and they have a kick ass store. mike is up on all the latest stuff. i would go talk to them and see what they have to say... but if i was going there tomorrow, i would go fish some rock banks and current breaks with a jerkbait, rattletrap or a black or white 7-10 inch worm during the day. when the sun starts to set, i would fish the same structure but with topwater. the temp is right for them to be hitting top! hope you've ended up getting some man.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Official member

first thing u need to get a herring rig and try to get fresh bait.when u get herring try to cut it in about 6 even pieces.i like to use a three way with 2 feet of line of each end ,one to a 3 ounce sinker and the other to a no.4 hook with your chunked herring on it.good luck