Salting and Storing Bait - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Default Salting and Storing Bait

Keeping bait fresh enough to use without the benefit of refrigeration or even ice.
The system works best with menhaden or shad.
Purchase a few dozen bunker from the local shop before they're gone for the winter. Or use a cast net or treble hook for snagging bunker. A box of some sort (48qt cooler) and head for your favorite bunker spot. You'll also need several pounds of the cheapest possible non-iodized table salt. A couple of pounds of Kosher salt from the local Walbaums will do. Expect to use pound of salt for no more than five pounds live weight of bait. After covering the bottom of the cooler with bait about an inch thick, cover it liberally with the table salt. (leave the plug out on the cooler so the water drains out quickly) The bait should look like it got snowed over. Then go ahead and lay on more bait and more salt until you're done. Let this whole thing sit and drain for 24 hours with no refrigeration. (Don't put any ice in there with the bait!) You'll be amazed at how much water the salt pulls out of the bait. After 24 hours, rinse the majority of the salt off the bait with fresh water and let it drain. If you're using the bait almost immediately, skip the rinse and just use the bait straight out of the salt. It'll actually stay fresh enough to use for several days if just left covered with salt and no refrigeration. If you plan to store the bait, place the rinsed and drained menhaden in zip-loc bags about the right size for fishing trips, make sure it has a tight seal. (Dont let it get freezer burnt) and stick them in the freezer. If you've ever frozen bait without this treatment, you know that it tends to be really mushy when you thaw it. Bait treated as above will remain a lot fresher and not mushy. If the bait was properly salted before freezing, it will never actually freeze solid because there is not much water left in it. Straight out of the freezer you can reach in and grab a single bait because they won't freeze together. Save bait like this during certain times of the year for use during those times when fresh bait is very scarce, like mid-winter. The
salt will prevent freezer burn. If your bait gets burnt, striped bass wont touch it. Blues, Reds, whiting, sand trout, croaker, and the occasional flounder will gobble this stuff up. Trout are usually too picky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2005, 08:16 PM

Salted frozen pogies.
Kosher salt is about $1.49 for 3 pounds. Or use non iodized table salt.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Salting and Storing Bait

I did not know you could salt bait like that . I guess the ones I bought last year will be of no good when I take them out and thaw them . Oh Well , now I know . I was kind of wanting to try and catch them live , but I don't even know where to try and find the buggers to begin with . The ones that make it to East Greenwich Cove would probably be to small to put on a hook ?
Thanks Guys amd keep the lines tight !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 09:50 PM
First Mate

Will ionized work as well as non-iodized table salt?
Old 06-17-2008, 02:24 AM
First Mate

No iodized salt will not work
Old 06-17-2008, 06:04 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rebel View Post
No iodized salt will not work
Thanks,... Asked the wife to buy salt and she came home with 10 # of non-ionized and 10# of ionized. I used the non-ionized and will be returning the ionized..
Old 06-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddogs1964 View Post
I did not know you could salt bait like that . I guess the ones I bought last year will be of no good when I take them out and thaw them . Oh Well , now I know . I was kind of wanting to try and catch them live , but I don't even know where to try and find the buggers to begin with . The ones that make it to East Greenwich Cove would probably be to small to put on a hook ?
Thanks Guys amd keep the lines tight !!
The pogies in the bay now, from what I've seen, have been all adult sized and plenty big enough. I would snag whatever size you see. A boat, kayak, or even a canoe (on calm days) would probably help a lot in finding them but often you can get them from shore as well.

Even "peanut" bunker (little ones) that are around later on in the season can be put 2-3 on a hook and be good bait.

If you can't find pogies in Greenwich bay I would try Barrington beach etc. The upper bay has had a lot this year.

You don't need expensive snag hooks either, I do just as well or better by tying a loop on the end of a 2-3 ft length of leader then a couple dropper loops 8" or so above that, putting a sinker of good casting weight on the bottom loop and a couple med-lg treble hooks on the dropper loops.

I cast the rig into a likely looking area, especially if you can see the pogies, and then reel it in at slow to medium speed. When you feel the pogies bumping your line lift your rod tip and reel faster. If your hooks are good and sharp you should have no trouble getting them this way.

Good luck.

P.S. Thanks to whoever posted the info re salting pogies .
Old 12-01-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
will ionized work as well as non-iodized table salt
Iodine will kill scaleless fish and shellfish, probably retard the osmosis process as well.