What size weight? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Striper Hunter

Default What size weight?

I am a newbie but have put in well over a 100 hours this year trying to hook up with a linesider.

I fish with typically live herring and fresh chunk with multiple poles off an anchored boat. I fish the Glasco flats mostly setting up on edge of dropoff and mud flat with lines in 12-14 fow and in 4-6' . I use fishfider rig, 5-6oz weight and 30# floro leader.

Am I too heavy? Should I use 2-3oz so it bounces in current rather than pinned to bottom?

I've also used live with balloon set at 7' so it swims back and forth over channel edge without success. People near me are boating fish and I mark tons of fish passing thru while anchored.

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Official Member

Default Re: What size weight?

try fishn the tide changes as well as at night
Old 05-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Official Member

5-6 is too heavy you should be able to hold bottom with 3 in that depth
2014 total:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 10:01 PM
bigbucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyPredator View Post
I am a newbie but have put in well over a 100 hours this year trying to hook up with a linesider.

I fish with typically live herring and fresh chunk with multiple poles off an anchored boat. I fish the Glasco flats mostly setting up on edge of dropoff and mud flat with lines in 12-14 fow and in 4-6' . I use fishfider rig, 5-6oz weight and 30# floro leader.

Am I too heavy? Should I use 2-3oz so it bounces in current rather than pinned to bottom?

I've also used live with balloon set at 7' so it swims back and forth over channel edge without success. People near me are boating fish and I mark tons of fish passing thru while anchored.
Hello nypredator, i'm a little old fashion. the way i set up is i put my line through a 1 oz slip sinker, pull about 3 1/2 ft of line out and put a small split shot to stop sinker from slideing, tie on a 7% hook with a 2 in chunk casting up current opening my bail and letting another 25ft to 30ft of line out and let it set there. what ever it is doing bounceing on bottom it catches fish and no i do not get tangles realing up every 15 to 20 min to change chunk. i fish in 25ft of water most of the time only moveing when depth changes but staying in the same area. the fish will come through and you should pick up fish. been out 4 times this year and boated 24 stripers and lost an easy 2 doz more. i dont change my ways because it works for me. if its not broke dont fix it lol. be safe and good fishing Bob
What are your thoughts?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks BigBucks, I may try your rig out. It seams like that may be a little more natural presentation than pinning chunk bait to the bottom.

When drift fishing from boat do you use any weight? It would seem if you did use weight snagging bottom would occur frequently as the river topography changes.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:48 PM
bigbucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyPredator View Post
Thanks BigBucks, I may try your rig out. It seams like that may be a little more natural presentation than pinning chunk bait to the bottom.

When drift fishing from boat do you use any weight? It would seem if you did use weight snagging bottom would occur frequently as the river topography changes.
Hey nypredator, for the drift fishing i don't do. i anchor. so in a way i fish, it is like drift fishing casting in the same spots like i explained.when the fish start heading back down i start trolling to cover more ground which is around the first weak of june and a little later. the fish i have been catching the majority are not ready to spawn and still coming up. for the snags, where i fish i very seldom get caught but it does happen. i use a 2 inch chunk and hardly ever use head or tail with my action with the center of the fish. well i probably talked to much and boreing you so stay safe and good fishing Bob