Trolling w/lures not effective? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Official Member

Default Trolling w/lures not effective?

I do a lot of Great Lakes trolling for salmon and trout so it is what I am familiar with. Does anyone do any kind of trolling in the river with downriggers, flatlining, dipsy's, etc.? Spoons or stickbaits? I see only talk of live bait, which is what the charter we went on last year was doing as well. We caught nothing on that charter, so this weekend i am bringing my own boat. I may catch nothing too, but it will cost me a lot less and I can stay out as long as I want. I know how to toss cut bait over the side, just wondering if I should leave the riggers home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Trolling w/lures not effective?

sorry if I am not a lot of help however, there are a lot of guys who do nothing but Troll.

I see them catch fish.

2 years ago I was fishing by Kingston with a pal who caught the flu while we were out. I had 2 runs on a live herring and that was it.

when we came to shore there was a guy who was flat lining a rapala and had caught several fish including a real nice one. He was in a 12 foot boat and put us to shame.

I also chartered a boat near Kingston 6 years ago and he did nothing but troll with down riggers and flat lines.

So, it can be done.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:04 PM
First Mate

Check your inbox
Old 04-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkerchunker View Post
sorry if I am not a lot of help however, there are a lot of guys who do nothing but Troll.

I see them catch fish.

2 years ago I was fishing by Kingston with a pal who caught the flu while we were out. I had 2 runs on a live herring and that was it.

when we came to shore there was a guy who was flat lining a rapala and had caught several fish including a real nice one. He was in a 12 foot boat and put us to shame.

I also chartered a boat near Kingston 6 years ago and he did nothing but troll with down riggers and flat lines.

So, it can be done.
That was helpfull. Thanks! I'll have to try it out but come prepared with live. Last year we went to Catskill. This year Kingston.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:22 AM
First Mate

IIRC the record river fish was caught on a trolled swimbait
Old 04-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Striper Hunter

First striper I ever caught was flatlining a shad rap when I wasn't really expecting to catch anything.This was early in the season in the channel near the Thru-way bridge. Before people caught on to using herring I understand that Trolling with or without riggers was the primary method.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Striper Hunter

will be my first time trolling, what would be a good speed to run at? and what would be a good length to run dipsy divers at? 75 ft or more?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 PM
wellsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaly23 View Post
will be my first time trolling, what would be a good speed to run at? and what would be a good length to run dipsy divers at? 75 ft or more?
That would depend on what depth the stripers are at. At a slow speed keep an eye on your fish finder and see what depths the fish are at. Check differant waters maybe they are in 18 to 20fow maybe deeper. What size dipsy are you using. I never tried dipsy's for stripers, you need to have an idea on how deep the lure will run when the dipsy is out at what length. As far as what speed. I like to check the lure beside the boat and increase speed until the lure action is at it's best. You'll be able to tell. Note the speed range (minimum and maximum)
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Striper Hunter

Most of the Hudson is a maximum of around 40 ft in the channel. There are flats around 15- 25ft stripers are often found there and on the edge of the channel so you might try running over those flats and along the edges of the channel.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Striper Hunter

got a few dipsy's rated for 10ft and some for 20ft but not quite sure how far out they have to be to get to that dept. didn't come with instructions or any guide. i'll have to play around with it hopefully don't snag a log and brake a pole
Old 04-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaly23 View Post
got a few dipsy's rated for 10ft and some for 20ft but not quite sure how far out they have to be to get to that dept. didn't come with instructions or any guide. i'll have to play around with it hopefully don't snag a log and brake a pole
see the luhr jensen site for depths achieved with how much and type of line out. you have to account for the o-ring also if you are using it.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Official Member

The Luhr Jensen site http://www.luhrjensen.com/ can be a big help if you're using Dipsy's. It all has to do with the size, 0,1, or 2. Also what ring you are using. Using Dipsy's you really need a stiff rod. Otherwise it will be bent into a big U. There are a lot of huge Salmon caught every year on Dipsy'd. They should work for the Stripers.

And with the water clarity much better due to no runoff and the NYC DEP NOT dumping Chocolate water into the esopus creek.

It just may be a great year for the trollers....
Old 04-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveworm View Post
Most of the Hudson is a maximum of around 40 ft in the channel. There are flats around 15- 25ft stripers are often found there and on the edge of the channel so you might try running over those flats and along the edges of the channel.

Good advice here! 75 feet may lose your Lures.

You may be at an advantage to drive up and down the area you want to troll to get a feel of where the fish are and the depth you will target otherwise you will end up trolling over a flat and snagging logs all day long.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkerchunker View Post
Good advice here! 75 feet may lose your Lures.

You may be at an advantage to drive up and down the area you want to troll to get a feel of where the fish are and the depth you will target otherwise you will end up trolling over a flat and snagging logs all day long.

Let us know how you make out.
Years ago when we first started trolling for Stripers we were catching em on #9 Shad Raps. The SR's would run about 10' - 12' down with 50' of line out. Let another 25' out and you got down to the strike area of 16' - 17'. Trolling speed in the 1.5 to 2.0 MPH range fishing over 20' - 25' of water.

Rebel Fast Tracks and Thunder sticks also produced but IMO the Raps had a better action and really caught more fish.

I am really hoping to be on the water this weekend weather permitting.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Striper Hunter

Landed a couple on bombers yesterday up north.used planer boards to get them running away from the boat. Used a 3/4 ounce slide sinker a swivel and 6 ft of leader line to get them in the zone!