Older Daiwa advice... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 06-29-2010, 12:00 AM
Striper Hunter

Question Older Daiwa advice...

Hello 247'ers.... I have an older Daiwa 5000-2B Regal-X that I am wanting to have tuned up. For starters it could probably benefit by replacing the drag washers (look like felt with wax on them)... and although the bail works good, it could probably use replacement if I'm gonna start heaving it again. Slight pitting here and there. It has a big long cast spool and it will be going into service heaving an occasional chunk in LI Sound. I will put it on an old unequal length 2pc ST Croix Surf System Ben Doerr 100M rod. The reel seems pretty solid, old school, but solid and I never really used it much. Anyone have experience fixing an old Daiwa?? I am thinking about sending it to Daiwa for service if they'll take it. The local place lost my original Daiwa 4000 Regal-Z (which was a sweet reel in its day) and gave me this one (I was young and got hornswoggled basically). Needless to say, I have and never will go there again. Is Daiwa Service worth me shipping it there? Am I crazy to try and spruce this one up?... Should I expect a hefty bill?? Sort of short on cash to replace this reel entirely. Any help greatly appreciated and looking forward to enjoying the site!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 01:00 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Default Re: Older Daiwa advice...

Old school reel that you didn't use that much should be fine with just a good clean and lube. Replacing drag washers you can do by yourself. If the bail is fine and snaps strong then let it be. Just clean it and make sure the roller works properly. By looking at the reel schematic you can open her up to check the gears and bearings. Good cleanup and re-lube should be all it needs. How does she feel when you crank the handle?

Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the reply RJ... It spins pretty smooth (kind of why I want to try and use it. )... considering it's age, lack of use since last in active duty (guessing 10 year dry spell), and low BB count (2). I opened the alum-spool to check the drag parts out and the felt washers look a little sketchy (mottled and not uniform). Back when in use it did whip quite a few blues. It's kind of a heavy reel, but for letting a chunk soak while casting lures using a much lighter outfit (bad shoulder and back)... should be okay for rare days when I'm up to an occasional heave-ho with a chunk. I guess I could just let nature take it's course with the bail (still snaps crisply)... On the drag washers though, that is where I know I need a re-work. Are there ones of any newer technolgy material for replacements like a teflon or carbon type?? ... or just get a set of felt ones??... They ones in there almost feel waxy... and I wonder if they come new like that. Are they oiled or impregnated with something or do I have to treat them? Looks like 3 are needed.. http://www.daiwa.com/PartsDiagram/Pa...2B-5000-2B.pdf

Thanks for any help you can offer and thanks for the welcome. tjd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 10:05 AM

This is a reel that not many of us have dealt much with.
About the drag washers, why don't you call Daiwa service and see what they have to say. Report back

As for the internals, a good cleaning and regreasing would probably work wonders

If you don't want to do it yourself, Daiwa's service is not expensive and very good.

They rebuilt my old (OLD!) whiskar 1700ss from top to bottom and it cost me less then $20. I normally do all my own reels, but I got this reel the first week they came on the market and after almost 20 years and easily 1000 fish, it was so worn I couldn't even figure which parts needed replacing.
Daiwa did a great job on it.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Older Daiwa advice... UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd241 View Post
The local place lost my original Daiwa 4500 Regal-Z (which was a sweet reel in its day) and gave me this one (I was young and got hornswoggled basically).
I was hesitant to Release The Kraken and start dismantling the reel, but at this point I have to in order to check parts availability. Probably don't need to have Daiwa tune it up. Would settle for just getting the line on/off the spool smoother and drag smoother. BOY did that shop scam me good... This replacement they gave me (which I never questioned)... It's missing parts!!!... Now that I look over the schematic on the Daiwa site... it doesn't even have a roller bushing or roller collar inside the roller. I assumed the roller was spinning as line ran on it, but it's stationary due to the missing items, Dang... No wonder there was no box for it. Lesson learned on that one. Next time I'll take cash for this kind of screw-up... not some hand-me-down that "looks" okay. Sure it worked, but the seized roller... I had no idea about.

Good news is I should be able to re-assemble this beast. Fingers crossed when I call Daiwa that parts still exist. Will update later. tjd
Old 06-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

The reel being a little heavy doesn't matter if you use it for soaking bait. Neither does the fact that it only runs on two bearings. The bail snapping back on command means that the bail springs are good. The roller is where you need to pay attension to. Parts 23, 24, 25. Make sure they are clean and regreased. IMO the metal drag washers should be flat and polished smooth which rarely are when purchased so i always do this on all my reels. The drag washers could be felt(impregnated with oil(smoothies)), teflon, carbon-tech, i don't think it really matters that much as long as they are clean. Pick some up at your B&T along with part # 24( roller bushing that should be replaced). Should only run you a few bucks. Sudsy mentioned how resonable Daiwa service fees are but you have a chance at doing it yourself and i'm here to back you up. If anything goes wrong when you open her up and you don't loose any parts i'll fix it for you. Give it a shot, take your time and let us know how it goes!
Old 06-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks RJ.... I appreciate the time you took to post and the offer to help. I think I can do this. Funny you should say to pay attention to parts #23, #24, and #25.... It doesn't even have #23 or #24..lol... Just got off the horn with Daiwa ... got all parts except the bushing. Am calling service centers now for that. thx
Old 06-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Always willing to help those that wanna help themselves!
I'm sure you can do this man, you just need a little encouragement! Let me know how it goes with the roller bushing. Worst case scenario, i might have an answer for that.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Striper Hunter

Yeah thanks... Local B&T may have one of the bushings. I could probably stack small nylon washers and use that as a bushing. Roller never worked before and I used it for a couple years before getting a newer reel... couldn't hurt. We'll see. I'm actually pretty good mechanically. I refurbish old HO slot cars so the "small" and "putting stuff together" aspects don't throw me.... It's taking that first step and unscrewing stuff that may not go back together. Seems to me that the last time I did a bail repair (years ago) I removed a cover and stuff sprang out all over.

I sold some stuff recently and thought I'd try to fix this old turd up. It ain't bad for just soakin bait. Lures though??? ... I'd call 911 first and tell them to meet me after I was done.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

That bushing is more like a sleeve made of teflon. It slides on the post and allows the roller to spin on it. The post and roller are made of steel and cannot spin on each other. That's what happened without it!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Older Daiwa update...

Still waiting on parts, ultimately not sure about fitment, so I sort of have a plan B. When all else fails, go to the Hobby Store. My local one has a bigtime selection of RC plane parts, heli parts, etc. Found 2 bearings of pretty decent quality that sort of fit the bill to fill the void where the nylon bushing used to be. At least while I wait for the substitute part maybe in next week (actual one is not to be had)... I cobbled together a temp fix. Stacked 2 and they almost do it, but still better than the empty void. Its gettin there.

Roller and 2 bearings...

Stacked and put inside the roller, but a slight gap...

Some heat shrink tube to hold them together and help fill the gap...

Slipped onto the bail bushing post and it actually fits that like a glove... Who'da thunk it???

Screwed the other side on and low and behold it all fits together...

Mind you, it don't spin like a Shimano roller... but it'll do until more Daiwa parts show up. Can't really say it ever spun very well to be totally honest... Caught some pretty big Blues with it chunkin years back... Again, actual parts will likely show up at some point, maybe next week??.. but at least I should be able to throw a chunk on Saturday morning.
.. Not too shabby for a slot car guy.

Oh yeah, here's my winter fishless hobby (in HO scale) ...
Old 07-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Great job man! You got skills! Don't worry about the slight gap, as long as it spins, which it will, you're better off than with the bushing. You pick up a 704, i'll show you how to get it all tricked out.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01941.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	13973   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01955.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	13974  
Old 07-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Striper Hunter

Talking Re: Older Daiwa advice...

Thanks rjC... I actually owe my "crafty" ways to the little cars I refurbish and scratch building stuff related to that hobby. New parts for those can go for MAD amounts of moola (which I don't have). 9 out of 10 times I can take a crusty HO chassis and make it turn laps like new... in most cases actually even better. Got lots of small hand tools and have seen piece parts at a multitude of locations that I always knew would "someday" be useful in "some" application. This being one of those times when I just lucked out. I try to keep a mental inventory of who has what. At good hobby stores they actually have things you wouldn't imagine they would. Another place that has TONS of useful things is in Derby, CT. called The Nutty Company. They have almost anything in the way of fasteners and related hardware items.

On the fishy-side... I got about a half dozen Cocktail Blues this AM. Fun on my 7' Tica and a Penn Slammer 360.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Sweet!
Have a safe 4th.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Christmas in July???

Lookie what showed up from Cerritos... Dang that was fast!!

Put all the new stuff in/on it and we're good to go...

Big spool... big handle... big fish right??? ... uuhh no.

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. She runs like a top now. tjd