Daiwa saltiga surf conventional - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Default Daiwa saltiga surf conventional

I'm trying to get my first conventional setup started. Conventional rod reel for the surf, plugging only, no bait. I'll build another Lami Ron Arra.

I'm thinking about the Daiwa saltiga surf (conventional model) SASURF30.

Seems like a nice (albeit pricey) conventional.

Does anybody have any input on that reel? I think that rod will go nice with the daiwa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Daiwa saltiga surf conventional

Use the search feature
I did a review two years ago

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...hlight=Saltiga

Now, after two years, I can say that i wouldn't buy that reel again - it's too delicate and temperamental. You have to be very good at self servicing and upkeep and don't even think about getting sand in it or dunking it.

On the plus side, it casts a mile and has a fantastic drag.

Keep the worm drive well greased, baby it, never take it on rocks, never hammer down the drag, and never dunk it and it's a great reel.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:54 AM

Oops, you meant the conventional - ignore my previous post.

Totally different animal, I've been wanting one myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Well, maybe you can recomend a nice conventional. I saw a nice post comparing I believe a shimano product and penn. The Daiwa saltiga conventional looks nice. I've read the warnings about guys starting out with conventional: "don't spool with expensive line at first, try cheap ande at first." Sounds like solid advice.

Likewise Lamiglas finally got around to sending me a replacement ron arra (lifetime warranty well worth the price!) 9' with 1-4 oz weight class. I think It'll be a nice combo. As far as reel placement goes: The reel will go on top of the strong side of the spine? In other words exactly reverse of spinning setup right?

Maybe this'll be my distance casting champion rod / reel! Merry Christmas!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:18 PM

I don't have the Saltiga so can't comment on that one.

A 9' Arra is obviously going to be used for plugging
For plugging you'll want to go with a levelwind 6500 size.

These are the two I really like, they each have their place:
Calcutta 400 Conquest (or Te, which is the US version) This is the reel to have if you want fantastic line control. Best in situations where you're casting lighter weights or are dealing with tricky wind conditions.
The Abu Mag Elite can launch a popper/pencil/metal clear out of sight, but you give up a bit of control with light stuff and tricky wind conditions.
Either one is a fine choice.

Both are spooled with 30# Stealth, by far the most forgiving braid for conventional casting.

I also like the Daiwa Luna, another sweet reel.
Only neg is that you have to jump through hoops to adjust the cast control.

And a friend of mine really likes Daiwa Saltist H series.
It comes in level wind in the 20 and 30 sizes.
I haven't tried one so can't comment myself
Old 12-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Veteran Striper Chaser

I have a Daiwa sl 20sh which is the next smaller size spool on an older model and think it's a great reel. I agree with you about using mono. If your starting outdon,t fill your spool to full.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:26 AM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Wrong thread for this, but here goes: Sudsy, as far as making what you call a dual purpose rod (spinning and conventional capacity?) with fuji low rider guides, which side of the spine do you put the guides? I happen to be far away from my rod building books at the moment, and further more, have never worked with the LC style. Would it be just like spinning, or the opposite?

I imagine the stripper guide adjustment for choke vs. slap is 70% of guide placement. The rest will be set to distribute stress. Your thoughts?

Also, plate type seat or no seat? I'd like to see one of your setups with the low rider guides.

When I get home from overseas (god willing) I'm buying a shimano aero technium, and the above mentioned conventional. It may be a bit tough to make both reels work great on the same rod no?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpohlson View Post
which side of the spine do you put the guides? Would it be just like spinning, or the opposite?

I tend to throw harder with conventional so I put the guides on the spine to give the cast a bit more strength. This is just in theory as I don't think spine really matters that much anymore with todays rods.

I imagine the stripper guide adjustment for choke vs. slap is 70% of guide placement. The rest will be set to distribute stress. Your thoughts?

Yes, the size and location of the stripper is the key to the entire setup
The rest of the guides are placed based on in the conventional style, keep the line off the blank at full stress.

Also, plate type seat or no seat? I'd like to see one of your setups with the low rider guides.

My best dual build has a fuji sliding seat, that rod can handle any reel I put on it. The one I use most is tape on. Something to remember, for the conventional reel, because the foot is so small, you need to tape on a plate seat then tape the reel to that. The conventional will have a tiny bit of side to side play like that, I haven't found a way around it yet.
If you really want to do it right, you'll build the rod with a standard fuji seat and design it around a single spinning reel. You can put any conventional on it.

When I get home from overseas (god willing) I'm buying a shimano aero technium, and the above mentioned conventional. It may be a bit tough to make both reels work great on the same rod no?

I use a Daiwa Surf Saltiga and Abu 6500 Mag on, not that different