New shimano 8000 D / Good for bigger size boys? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 08-18-2009, 11:36 AM

Default New shimano 8000 D / Good for bigger size boys?

Ive been a shimano man for the past few years and have been stuck with my 4500baitrunner/ Talavera combo for the past 2 seasons. Starting to break lines with this 25lb test so im thinkin its time to move up!!

Would the new shimano 8000 D be a good match for a 9 ft ugly stik? I just want somthing thats not gonna break lines on 20-30+ lb stripers and blues anymore. The sound of popped lines haunts me, What would be a good combo with somthing thats a baitrunner / ugly stik for decent - big size fish im willing to spend 350. Figure itll last me a couple years

later bros
-guts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 12:11 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Default Re: New shimano 8000 D / Good for bigger size boys?

First of all if you are breaking off fish in the 20 to 30 pound range with 25 pound test you are probably doing something wrong when fighting the fish or your rod has a frayed guide? Run a q-tip around all of your guides on the inside and check to see if the q-tip grabs anywhere. If it does bring it to a tackle shop to have the quide repaired.

Second are you boat fishing or Surf fishing?

Third if you want more line capacity on your bait runner and heavier line use braid Power Pro 50 pound or something to that effect.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Pro Staff

The 4500b is plenty of reel to land a large striper or blue. That's not your problem. Last fall I landed many 40lb fish and one over 50lbs from the surf on a 4500b spooled with 30lb test Fireline.

If you're constantly having line breakage, I've got to second what Jackbass said and suggest that you check the guides on your rod for nicks/chips that could be chaffing or cutting your line, or you're using garbage line, or both.

Another thought,,, are you sure your line is breaking? Could be your knots are pulling loose. Look at the end of your line after it 'breaks', and if it's curlyqued, ya need to work on your knots a bit

I would not put a reel any larger than the 4500b on a 9' Ugly Stick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

is the drag set on the reel?
if it is tighter than a drum you have a problem.
i doubt it is tight all the way anyway and would still pull line out but?/??/?
i hate to ask that simple questions but it wasn't addressed and we can gather alot from what you reply with.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:42 AM

Bros I appreciate such a quick response , I checked for snags a couple hours ago on my shimano pole and theres nada.. the drag was set but not too tight either. We usually go off boat i would say once in a blue moon off shore... I ended up picking up a rod today tho a 7' tiger ugly stik (soooo sexy) and tried the 8000d baitrunner, I cant begin to tell u how sweet this thing felt, fatty handle new runner switch was real nice. one thing i didnt like though but they must have done this to shave weight was they shrunk the shit outta that spool it looked so much smaller then my 45b or 45's - only downside was the store guy kept tellin me it wont handle 30lb line or 40 , i figured itd atleast hold it maybe a tough cast still???

the guy at the store was saying i should give this penn 760 L slammer a shot, that it could handle the 30lb test.. I tried it out today doing some live lining with blues it was real solid just am stuck in my shimano ways :\ I might have to just get a 6500b return this and call it a day! Is the penn a solid brand too? ive been trying to read reviews online to see whats up i shoulda been more careful and just got the shimano im gonna have to see whats happenin
Old 08-19-2009, 10:15 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to put a 30 or 40 pound Braid on an 8000D

BTR8000D 36 14/295,17/250,20/195 40/295, 50/290, 65/180
These are the specs straight from shimanos page. 295 yds of 40 pound braid should be more than enough capacity for any large striper or blue particularly from a boat where you have the ability to motor up if needed.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:36 AM

Thats what i was telling this old stubborn man at the fishing shop, I dont know why the dudes around here are so hard headed at the shops but he said i would want mono not braid and that braid will rub against the ground blah blah blah which is a valid point when were on the boat fishin, you guys think I should keep the penn 760L? it is really so much more solid feeling in the handle and frame part then my shimano4500... I looked and my order from cabelas 8000d is still comming to my house :) guess ill have to put it on my other ugly stik.. whats up with these penns tho guys, are they really that good?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:39 AM
First Mate

What store did you goto? Sounds like someone at the store needs some lessons. Never mind that the 8000D has 20lb of drag pressure.
I would not think twice about putting 30 or 40 lb braid on that reel. Now if your talking about putting 30lb mono on it than that is a different story as you would be very limited with line length

Sounds like you don't like your 4500, are you selling it?? Can't understand as many folks have been using the 4500 for years and will continue for years more.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:53 AM
First Mate

Opps you replied when I was typing.
I know many folks that have had some of the live liner reels. I myself have not used one but can only speak from what I have seen. I have seen a few of those reels with some problems. With the Penn you have to manually turn off the live liner feature as opposed to just turning the handle.
I just don't think the Penns are what they used to be.

Me bad, I think the new live liners will disengage the bait feature when cranking the handle
Old 08-19-2009, 10:57 AM

Naw I love my 4500, thats why im stuck in my shimano ways.. i just almost ripped the handle off it the other day fighting a huge striper over here and that made me think i need to get somthing a little more 'solid' feeling, it coulda been a shark for all i know but this guy took 100yds off my reel and was still gunnin like no tommorow.. The penn i got and used yesterday and is all lined up , you think theyd let me return it?? the thing feels really solid just im one of those guys that thinks if it aint broke dont fix it hence sticking with my shimano or okuma reels.. my good buddy was saying it was only 179 and now atleast i got somthing else in my arsenal and call it a day
Old 08-19-2009, 11:42 AM
First Mate

If he's an old timer and a small shop then they may not take a return but maybe they will. I find the smaller shops don't like taking back things unless you know them well. I myself have also been a long time Shimano fan. I do have to admit that I recently got a Penn 704z that is the balls. It is not a "bait runner" type reel but I dont think there is a better surf reel in the price range. It has been discontinued for some time but you can still get a good used one for under $100.
I should also say that I know snow guys who also have Penn's that have been flawless. One thing though is at the store yesterday I tried around 7 different Slammer reels and only about 2 felt or worked the same. Actually I think one of the Penns was broken also(brand new) I have done similar with the Shimanos and almost all had the same feel and function.

I know it's not a Slammer but I saw a Penn Spinfisher combo the other day that was cheaper than the reel alone-(7500ssm and 7' rod)go figure. I don't know about the newer ones but the older Penn's handled being dunked very well

I had a chance a few weeks ago to try out 2 different Okuma Epixor Bait Feeders and I thought it was sweet, nice and smooth and light weight. I'm actually considering getting one for myself. Also Okuma has an awesome warranty service dept. if needed
Old 08-19-2009, 12:00 PM
First Mate

The things I liked about the Okumas I used was there weight compared to other "bait" type reels. I had used a 50 series which is decent size with 440 yrd/10lb capacity and I casted the thing for hours. We had started out fishing with live bait but then switched to lures. The thing was super smooth along with a super smooth drag and about 6 or 7 oz lighter than a Shimano B of similar size and still about 4 or 5 oz lighter than the D series.
I had also used a 30 series which was real light and as smooth (butta)as I said above but I feel it is a little to small for stripers.

When fishing several years back down in FL I was using a Shimano Bait Runner reel. I had hooked onto a shark and I did not care for the flex I thought I was feeling in the reel. I will say though that it did it's job
Old 08-19-2009, 12:19 PM

http://www.pennfishingstore.com/penn...760l-reel.html

thats the one i got, jersey dude thank u so much for being so informative about it. alot of people are such dicks about choosing good reels and then misguide others i notice, the okumas are such beautys i am still wondering if i should get one of those. i used to own an avenger and that thing was tits compared to my first reel some 2 peice rod shakespere rig.. can i return the penn even after they lined it at the shop?? i was askin a bud he was sayin just get all the line off and it shouldnt be a problem, but we all know how fisherman shops are :\