The Hows and Whats of Trolling for Stripers - Page 5 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Trolling for Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Trolling for Stripers How tos - instruction - Downriggers Planer boards - gear and other techniques and tips

Old 09-04-2005, 02:44 PM

I see my post was deleted because of the server move, but do you think we can ever get a board for trolling striperS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2005, 06:51 PM

Yes
Hopefully it we'll be able to once the fall run gets in full swing. Keeping a lid on all the forums gets daunting. Its best to trim the fat until the traffic warrants it. Its definately one that we are considering.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:17 AM

24,000 views on this topic.
Im wondering if someone would like to expound a little bit on lake fishing without a downrigger. Lets say approach to a 50 foot deep lake with 20 feet in the coves and around the shorelines.
This by the way is the physical geography of Lake wallenpaupack in Pennsylvania. Man made and fairly uniform. Although the old road beds and a wooden bridges remain submerged. The lake will start turning over in Mid November. right now I would believe it to be prime.
I dont especially care for umbrella rigs.
I saw some spinner type bucktails that look very nice from deadlink. although hes not filling orders.
A simple trolling depth calculation is also available from lithos jigs. dead link
The line angle I would guess would have to be an estimate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2005, 07:23 PM
First Mate

Default 50 foot deep lake.......

We have this same type configuration here at Lake Anna, VA and also most of the lower lakes in VA.

Lots of guys troll side planers with live cast netted shad from the back of the creeks on the lake. In Nov, the bigger the shad the better. If the water temps drop you may need a very long rope on the net to get the net down on the bait at 25+.

I free line my shad over busted up bait balls (color sonar is the trick). Maybe a swivel and a 1/2 oz weight 3' up if the wind is blowing.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:05 AM

Did anybody say bunker spoons?
Old 02-07-2006, 12:28 PM

I love those big spoons Eel but I dont like losing $20 lures to bluefish. they love em just as much as stripers do.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:33 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

schoolie BFT like 'em too!
Old 02-26-2006, 11:22 AM

Default hammerhead -- trolling

what size trolling motor do you use for your 20" boat???
Old 04-10-2006, 09:27 PM

Default trolling etc

Brand new to the site but not to striper fishing. (45 years) Guys down this way murder the bass trolling tube 'n worm. There's a local guy who produces them, Tackleman Tubes. We also pound them trolling parachutes on wire. Eels are deadly at night in skinny water pitched and retrieved just like a plug. (SLOW) On the deep rips we 3-way them. I prefer plugging with bucktails, swimming plugs like Bombers, popping plugs etc. BTW, right now the bass are so thick in CT rivers guys are catching them till their arms are tired. Many are accidently snagged, something the DEP officers frown on.(Alewives and Bluebacks are in the rivers) Once the bunkers and hickory shad are in guys just pound the big bass live-lining them. Chunking works great, too.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:55 AM
Striper Hunter

using tubes could you use a reg worm inste of a sea worm?

and how fast would you say you troll these baits? (like a fast drift)
Old 04-17-2006, 11:03 AM

always use sea worms with tube n' worm, and with tube n' worm, as I've heard, first you troll them slow, then you slow down even more.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Striper Hunter

can anyone tell me the proper way to store sandworms and there shelf life? Thanks to all.

(edit** See this thread on keeping sea worms )
Old 04-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Official Member

Default trolling mono

Do i have to use wire leaders when i troll? i would be trolling manns and santinis,some storm wild eyes.i dont use down riggers.just a couple trolling rods.the lures i would be using would be going deep enough for the waters i would be fishing.Is it alike the rule that you have to use leaders?damn not knowing this crap bothers me
Old 04-24-2006, 06:46 AM

With a mono mainline, you really dont need a leader but to stop the fish from seeing the mainline if its high-vis (because mono stretchs so much). With braid a leader is necessary to prevent the shock (mono acts like a bungie cord) on the no-stretch line from snapping the braid. With wire, you can have a wire leader, but you shouldnt do it because its no-stretch, meaning it will load up and snap very easy, and its easy for fish to see. The clearer the water, the longer the leader you want from the main line. For flurocarbon, your leaders dont need to be as long, because its clearer, but for mono, you need about 25-30 feet in clear water, and only about 15 feet for flurocarbon. Experiment with leader lengths and see which rod gets more hits in trolling. If they both have the same lure and are at the same depth, then chances are the leader on one of them isnt long enough and the fish are wary of it.

In addition to your leader, you should always have a swivel or two in there somewhere, connecting your mainline and leader, mabye by your lure, or even one in the middle of the leader. Preferably you want ball-bearing swivels. If you dont have swivels, then the line will twist up in the water, and the strength is seriously reduced, if a fish hits on, and twists it even more, chances are it will snap with hardly any comparable strength to its actual rating. With wire and braid which dont stretch, setting your drag is important, that is that its not set too high.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:46 PM
Official Member

Ok i have 20#berkley fireline for mainline.Should i tie a 30# mono leader to that to get some stretch for trolling?using 2 swivels ,one at either end of leader?