The Hows and Whats of Trolling for Stripers - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Trolling for Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Trolling for Stripers How tos - instruction - Downriggers Planer boards - gear and other techniques and tips

Old 03-24-2005, 05:23 PM
Veteran

I agree, I would just use the eel alone. The worms are cheeper and do the job,with the tube. And you get less short hits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2005, 01:26 AM

Default East coast and West coast

Seems like there is alot of great success stories posted here. I am trying to learn and understand some of them (meaning methods) but I am wondering if these tactics will work in my area as well as the area you all are in. I am near Rio Vista Ca. Thats about 30-45 min. from Sacramento. By the way, I am learning from a couple guys that mostly use Shad and Anchovies, anyone know of anything different in my area?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:14 AM

t a few years back one guy won a tournament with a 38 lb bass taken on the sacremento river with my tube and worm He also used to catch salmon with it . A striper is a striper even on the west coast pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Headin to the store

I'm on my way to the store (actually it won't be till tomorrow. Are they available everywere?
Old 04-15-2005, 04:23 AM

Eh fellas,,see ya talking about trolling,,,Thanks again Pete for the tube, can hardly wait to try it. How would casting and reeling from shore work with the tube?? Does anyone do that? Stripers come into a tidal river here that we used to troll for, but there is so many fishing from the river banks that it is impossible to troll without alot of linetangling. Can you add weight ahead of the tube for more casting distance, or will that take away the tubes action? These boards are great, alot of info. Stripers won't be here for another 3-4 weeks yet. Thanks Dobb
Old 04-15-2005, 07:59 PM

dobb you can fish them off arockypoint with some depth just tip it with a piece of seworm cast it out and retrieve it slowly withou imparting any action to it just reel it in slow and do not add any weight to it T angler you canorder them off the site and i'll get them right out to you pete
Old 04-15-2005, 11:10 PM

Wow Pete i didnt even think of using them from shore. I have a good spot to try it at. 8)
Old 04-19-2005, 01:41 PM

Trying to expand my striper fishing techniques and came across your forum. Looks like some "reel" seadogs inhabit this section of the internet. I've been a freshwater fishermen all my life, mostly large mouth bass. I've lived here in Mass on a pond for 20+ years and get lots of practice. 8 years ago we purchased a second home on the ocean in Saco Maine. First year at the beach house I landed a 42" striper from the beach right in front of the house. The next year I purchased a boat which I keep in a slip on the Saco river. Thought with the boat, I'd really knock them out, wrong. While I catch quite a few slot keepers, I have not been able to reproduce the lunker from the first year. Reading threw the various threads, I've already picked up some information which I plan to put to good use soon, boat goes in May 15th.

I've fished the tube worms since I purchased my boat, trolling the river mostly. I was looking at the Santinitube and noticed that it looks like it has one barrel swivel reasonably close the the tube itself. The tube-worms I run have rudders with a barrel swivel in the middle of about a 2 foot length of 40Lb. mono (inbetween the rudder and tube worm). So my question is do you run the Santinitube as is, or add a rudder and additional barrel swivel to keep your line from twisting?
Old 04-19-2005, 02:15 PM

Welcome to the site Tony..!!!!

I just run my tubes on leadcore line with no weight...leadcore to leader to ball bearing swivel(which is crucial) to tube...

The simpler the better...slow and low...

I try to avoid and excess tackle that could affect the tubes movement...
Old 04-19-2005, 02:31 PM

Thanks Bostonboy, I was wondering what the ball was , thought it was a weight of some sort. I guess it works as both. I'll have to order me up a few of those. I'll give them a call, I'm interested in what colors they come in. I have my best luck using the dark red and 2nd would be black. The one on their web page looks kinda orange.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:39 PM
Official Member

Default newbie

Just joined this forum today, and this is my first post. From what I've been reading, this is the place I've been looking for info on striper fishing. Took it up last year for the first time. Bait chunking at the mouth of the Merrimack. Had a lot of fun, and met some nice folks. I have no idea what other methods to use, but I'll read all I can here, and I'm sure will pick up some good tips. Last summer I used my 13ft MFG with a 15 Merc in the mouth area, and learned mostly what NOT to do! Sold that boat at the end of the summer and bought a 17Smokercraft with a 50 Merc that makes me feel a bit safer down there. Anyone needing a ride, will gladly swap for striper tips. Look forward to participating on the board. Jack
Old 05-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Veteran

welcome aboard JM
Old 05-20-2005, 08:44 PM

Welcome to the site jemer!!!!
Old 05-21-2005, 03:03 PM

Welcome to the site Jemerrill...
The basic forms of Striper fishing are as follows:
-Bait fishing (chunking, live bait etc.)
-Trolling (Tube n' Worm, Umbrella Rigs, Wireline etc.)
-Casting w/ various lures (Poppers, Bucktail Jigs, Crankbaits etc.)

Good to have you here... :D
Old 05-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Official Member

Thanks for the welcome! I hope to be running into some of you at the Merrimack area soon. I hear the stripers are arriving, and want to be in on the not-so-early action. Want to try the tube and worm method. Tried umbrellas last summer, with pretty good results. I usually camp out at the reservation. Grey and burgundy older Smokercraft from NH. One question: with the tube and worm......are the worms usually the large sea worms? Jack