Raystown stripers - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Pennsylvania's Lakes, Rivers and Impoundments
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 07-28-2008, 08:23 PM

Cool Raystown stripers

The fishing on raystown is slow to say the least. Alot of weeds floating making it difficult to keep off your bait or lures and planer boards. This time of year usually has the fish schooling by now but that isn't the case this year. Alot of bait showing up on the graph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2008, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Raystown stripers

I was up there last weekend, and the fish were schooling, but only in the morning and it is short lived. By the time they school up, they're shut down.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Official Member

I'm headed to Raystown the first weekend of Oct. Never been there, never fished for stripers before. I'm a walleye guy so i'm set fairly decent for trolling (planer boards, downriggers, line couting reels, etc...). Any suggestions would help out a great deal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2008, 08:33 PM

Having never been there, and especially never having fished stripers before, the best suggestion I could make to you is to go out with a guide at least once and see how it's done. That's what I did when I decided this is what I wanted to do, and it was the best money I ever spent.

That having been said, the best bet is always live bait fishing (shad or alewife caught from the lake). With your experience, you likely won't be able to do this, even if you did have the gear and permit. Store bought live trout work OK and are easier to keep, but are spendy.

Outside of bait, your best bet is fishing large wobbly spoons, or slow trolling large bucktails with ribbon tails.

I have caught a few trolling large crankbaits under boards after dark.

If you're in the right place at the right time, the topwater bite should be coming on good by then if you want to throw plugs.

Big thing is to not get your hopes up; even if you know what you're doing, and do it all right, fishing can still be very tough. It's dead right now. Which is especially why I reccomend the guide route for you.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Official Member

Thanks! I'm looking into a guide right now.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:27 PM

sent you a PM
Old 08-26-2008, 12:10 PM

Where is a good place to buy bait around Raystown?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:42 PM

They sell trout at sparky's (7 points bait and grocery) on top of the hill on the road into seven points. There's another place in Huntingdon that I know sells them, but can't remember the name. The few times I've ever gotten them was at seven points.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:43 AM

ok, thanks. I am planing to go up in late sept. If all goes well.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:30 PM
Striper Hunter

Looking for a guide on Raystown try www.striper-guide.com. This guy Tim Grace has been mention in In-Fisherman magazine more than a few times. check the website and give him a call to see what you think.Fall has could be good at Raystown.