For Rickski - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:37 AM
First Mate

Default Re: For Rickski

I run the factory 4 prong. Still available from Sears, so I bought a couple. I use one to drive the 4 prong into the end of the blank with a small dead blow hammer. One tap, and it matches up with the prongs on the lathe.
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 08:51 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post

the multy tooth super drives tend to slip on hard woods if you appy alot of pressure during roughing ...

Quit driving yourself crazy, just get the lathe and have some fun.. and get the shingles on that roof... more precip is on the way for the weekend!
I picked up one of the super drives and it was a pita. everyonce in a while when you throw a little too much on the wood it will slip and start cutting into soft wood as well acting like a hole saw. Major PITA. Just go with the 4 or five tooth spur they work fine.

Just get turning you will figure out what else you will need as you go along. Believe me. Have Fun with it.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickski View Post
I run the factory 4 prong. Still available from Sears, so I bought a couple. I use one to drive the 4 prong into the end of the blank with a small dead blow hammer. One tap, and it matches up with the prongs on the lathe.
That is a great idea. I do the same thing but whack it on to the drive in place with a rubber mallet
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 09:02 AM
First Mate

Cool thanks guys.
I just wanted to check and see if I should order some stuff while I'm to busy to turn of finish gettting shop setup. This cold id kicking my arse never mind making the roof a PITA. Figures I start roof and weather goes from 50-60 to 20 in 2 days, the 2nd day was snow. I may cover up and wait for a break as it's too cold even with heating shingles as there frozen by the time I get them to the roof.
Great idea with the spur, I will order 1 or 2 thank you Rick.

Thank you Roc for that part # on the drill chuck, I was looking at Wood Craft and Penn State for the parts. I just also thought I may order a new live Center for the tail stock, I think mine has a point with a tapered ring around it. I have seen them go bad so I want a spare

Oh and it's hammerwall if you need or want a owners manual. I got lucky and have original but still refer to site as mine is with lathe in garage
Old 12-11-2009, 09:05 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
That is a great idea. I do the same thing but whack it on to the drive in place with a rubber mallet
Not the best idea to do that as you can cause damage to bushing or bearings
Old 12-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Pro Staff

My lathe is a monster and if any thing it would more than likely spread the jaws a bit. I am not overly concerned. I am not really wailing on it. Just enough to indent.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:07 AM
First Mate

What tailstock center are you using? Mine has the original cup center which I want to change out. Just trying to figure which center is preferred, I not even sure the cup center is live. I quess maybe it is as it refers to lubing it in the manual
Old 12-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Pro Staff

My tail stock is a factory delta tail stock. I do lube mine. Every few plugs i will lube it with hydraulic tool oil but anything works. Every so often I have to clean out wood that gets pressed into it. I don't have a live center with lubrication it seems to keep the spin going. I am not sure on the horsepower of my lathe. I am the third generation to own it. It is a delta 5 speed the motor is in the base and not on the drive stock. Runs good.

Last edited by Mark P; 12-12-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: too many speeds originally posted
Old 12-12-2009, 04:22 PM
First Mate

The original Craftsman tail stock center was fixed. Lube per the manual probably refers to a few drops of oil even when turning wood. Keeps it from squealing. I turned lots of plugs with the dead center so it sound like you have all you need to get started. Get down there tonight and make some plug blanks. I ended up replacing the dead center with a inexpensive Grizzly live center. About 6 bucks plus shipping. I have a couple of them and they work fine. I just ordered a different one from a guy on ebay, not because I didn't like what I was using, but because I like to constantly try new stuff.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:09 PM
swabbie

Lightbulb Re: For Rickski

try wax for the dead center. wax the wood ,not the tool.
Winter has arrived here too. spun my first of the season plug today.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:48 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickski View Post
The original Craftsman tail stock center was fixed. Lube per the manual probably refers to a few drops of oil even when turning wood. Keeps it from squealing. I turned lots of plugs with the dead center so it sound like you have all you need to get started. Get down there tonight and make some plug blanks. I ended up replacing the dead center with a inexpensive Grizzly live center. About 6 bucks plus shipping. I have a couple of them and they work fine. I just ordered a different one from a guy on ebay, not because I didn't like what I was using, but because I like to constantly try new stuff.
I can barely keep my eyes open, never mind stand. Spent the whole day crouched over on a freezing cold roof, sometimes I will never learn. I still need to hang a few cabinets and move some stuff around and this is before installing the wood stove.For now my shop will be in the garage. When I have more time I need to install french drain and another sump in basement to make shop down there. Oh the work never ends

I'm going to order a live center as I hate dead ones, even more when they start to squeal. I will order a center through the business, I just wish it was 2mt as I can get many of those free.