drilling through holes - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:41 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: drilling through holes

Loose the 1/16 bit.. it's too small and will deflect giving you nothing but grief... 1/8 is the smallest you should go, 9/64 is perfect, 3/16 is not bad either..... use your lathe, it's 3 times faster and more accurate than using the drill press....... Drill at 1200-1400 RPM's use a slow advance and clear your chips....
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 03:11 PM
First Mate

roccus you have helped me in every single post ! THANKS SO MUCH ............. so a 6" 9/64 " bit is what i should get for my lathe... and i use a hand drill with the size to fit belly grommets and weights for the rest ?
Thanks everyone
Old 12-08-2008, 10:07 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark12 View Post
roccus you have helped me in every single post ! THANKS SO MUCH ............. so a 6" 9/64 " bit is what i should get for my lathe... and i use a hand drill with the size to fit belly grommets and weights for the rest ?
Thanks everyone

glad to assist... use a hand drill if you dont own a drill press...
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2008, 06:56 AM
swabbie

with small (1/16 & 1/8) bits , start with shorter bits. slow and steady with constant clearing .
the nice thing about a 1/16 hole is the snugness of the thru wire.
my drill press gets about 4.5 " of throw so there is some blocks and flipping around involved , but with a small squareing jig ,and an 1.5" square blank i get fairly consistant results.
I use the 12" bits for the reaming ,or the final drill on along hole .
GF
Old 12-18-2008, 09:06 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i do a lot of my drilling by hand and with my drill press. i dont have the chucks for my lathe so thats not an option for me right now. the drill bit sizes roc uses are the way to go...the only other size not mentioned is 5/32...which i find usefull for many applications.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:42 PM
First Mate

5/32 for through drilling or another applications?

and for certain plugs with lips the hole doesnt go straight through the middle does it?

i thought some plugs are a little up or down so that the lip is in rite...or is it the other way around? make it so the lip slot fits to the thru wire ..
one plug lip i ask about is the Danny lip does it have to wire spots so you chose were to put it or does the wire go vertically?
Old 01-13-2009, 12:36 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
5/32 for through drilling or another applications?

and for certain plugs with lips the hole doesnt go straight through the middle does it?

i thought some plugs are a little up or down so that the lip is in rite...or is it the other way around? make it so the lip slot fits to the thru wire ..
one plug lip i ask about is the Danny lip does it have to wire spots so you chose were to put it or does the wire go vertically?

yes for through holes... 1/8 or 5/32 is all I use..

generaly, all lip slots run through the middle of the plug, ther are exceptions, thus, most plugs are drilled off center..., read my tutorial on the danny swmimmer, it shows the marking of the lip slot and drilling of the hole, the drill willl want to stay in a straight line, if you mark the through hole after you cut your lip slot, then drill, all should come out correctly...
Old 01-13-2009, 03:01 PM
First Mate

thanks roc... i believe in a different post you said to use a 9/64, was this too for through drilling..

and does any one use .341 belly grommets from njtackle they seam huge
Old 01-13-2009, 04:36 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I am using the .341 on some dannys I am building they won't seem that big in a 7" Plug. They really are not all the large.

I thought the same thing when I opened the package but once I drilled the belly for them they look fairly average.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:24 PM
First Mate

ok thanks i was expecting them to be almost snug on the swivels( first time i have actualy seen them in person kinda new to building still) and was shocked by the size, does any one recomend the smaller size for 6 - 4 inch plugs?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:15 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Some guy's use 3/16... Salty's baits are all drilled with 3/16...
Old 01-15-2009, 06:15 PM
First Mate

hey guys im looking for 6 inch drill bits, 1/8 and 9/64 inch and im finding its quite hard to find does any one buy on an online store or like sears?
Have a place were i could find them?
Thanks in advance
Old 01-15-2009, 09:03 PM
First Mate

Quote:
hey guys im looking for 6 inch drill bits, 1/8 and 9/64 inch and im finding its quite hard to find does any one buy on an online store or like sears?
Have a place were i could find them?
Thanks in advance
I just bought some at http://www.skygeek.com/. Price was right, but shipping took a couple weeks. I can't speak for longevity just yet, but they look OK. They do respond to emails and seem responsive enough. I'll be able to report how they hold up after a couple months.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:00 PM
First Mate

ok i looking to get a 1/8 and 9/64 from this site they are cheap,
is a jobber 135 bit fine for the job
if no one realy nos i guess my plugs will be the guiene pig lol
http://www.skygeek.com/ats-013-1-8.html
Old 02-27-2013, 06:00 AM
Morris Cove

1. Drill first on lathe. If your off on your center hole it rarely matters, you lathe around them.
2. Harbor freights drill bit lathe morse taper 2 is 12.99 , and built for war, yes freight produced a solid product.. Rare
3. Drill with 6 inch bit, to start push bit in two inches, use 4 inch to drill both side pilot holes. Next pull bit out last 1.5 and lock her in, punch through remaining wood as needed.
4. Doing this method ive missed on about 2 in 100 from being lazy and pushing to fast, otherwise flawless
5. Im at about 25 seconds per thru-hole . Can it be done in less.. Yes, should it be, no your using a drill... Be safe its still a nasty hole in your hand if the plug shifts or you punch out the side...