drilling through holes - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:07 AM
Morris Cove

Talking Re: drilling through holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi4290 View Post
i do a lot of my drilling by hand and with my drill press. i dont have the chucks for my lathe so thats not an option for me right now. the drill bit sizes roc uses are the way to go...the only other size not mentioned is 5/32...which i find usefull for many applications.
I didnt want to spend dough on chuck, harbor freight has it for 12 bucks and its a tank, i was amased by the quality.. Im ready to toss my press in the trash, lol.. If i didnt need it for weight and hook holes as well as eyes, shed be my boat anchor.. Trust me buy that damb chuck its a dream thru hole driller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 12:39 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: drilling through holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyct View Post
1. Drill first on lathe. If your off on your center hole it rarely matters, you lathe around them.
2. Harbor freights drill bit lathe morse taper 2 is 12.99 , and built for war, yes freight produced a solid product.. Rare
3. Drill with 6 inch bit, to start push bit in two inches, use 4 inch to drill both side pilot holes. Next pull bit out last 1.5 and lock her in, punch through remaining wood as needed.
4. Doing this method ive missed on about 2 in 100 from being lazy and pushing to fast, otherwise flawless
5. Im at about 25 seconds per thru-hole . Can it be done in less.. Yes, should it be, no your using a drill... Be safe its still a nasty hole in your hand if the plug shifts or you punch out the side...
through drilling prior to turning only works on a select few plug applications... most plugs require that the lip be on or slightly above center... thus, the hole must be drilled from the front of the plug to the front hook hole to match the lip line tie location, otherwise, the lip will be in the wrong posistion...and the plug will not swim as intended/as it should.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Morris Cove

I can see your point but most plugs means you favor lips, just as many plugs turned without them. Lets leave that up to the angler.. Opinions are just that.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyct View Post
I can see your point but most plugs means you favor lips, just as many plugs turned without them. Lets leave that up to the angler.. Opinions are just that.
Not an opinion friend ..FACT.... unless you only make needles... poppers.. or bottles.. and to a degree darters.. your going to have to learn how to do it properly... one never limits ones self to only one style of plug... doing so is a recipee for failure...
Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Striper Hunter

Ive been using a drill press and for some reason every time i try to drill threw it never comes out evenly out the other side, so ive resorted to using my dewalt gun to do it instead. Why is this happening when using the drill press?any help would be great
Old 05-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Morris Cove

You need a woodblock with a nail to rest in bottom of plug using a pilot hole, if nothing shifts and bits straight, drill half way and flip to top centered pilot hole. Drill second half and meet in middle.. Make sure the nailboards secure, if it shifts your s.o.l.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Striper Hunter

O boy going to being using some of these ideas to work