Northern Aqueduct Fishing? - Page 25 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta > California Aqueduct
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 10-08-2014, 01:00 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Northern Aqueduct Fishing?

Went out today to Clifton Forebay. Caught a few nice size stripers. One guy there was using a Blue Gill and caught a 24lb Striper. Biggest one I saw caught this year. He was fishing at the open gate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2014, 07:40 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDiamond View Post
Went out today to Clifton Forebay. Caught a few nice size stripers. One guy there was using a Blue Gill and caught a 24lb Striper. Biggest one I saw caught this year. He was fishing at the open gate
Hey when you catch one of those beast make sure to post a pic. Hit the mendota after work yesterday and just a bunch of small ones. Lots of dead bluegill on the ground , maybe some ones using live bait or they figured out how to catch them in the canal. Looked like some schools of shad in the canal, will try to catch some for live bait next time. Will worms work as shad bait ?
Old 10-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Striper Hunter

Anyone close to modesto ca that want to go fishing somewhere this weekend need to get out and try to catch something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2014, 12:55 AM
Striper Hunter

Haven't been online, computer crashI have been out at least 3 to 4 times a week. I've caught something every time. All about the same size 14" to 19" Went to the forebay and was pushed out of the area I was fishing, some people have no consideration. I guess I'll stick to the canal and the aqueduct.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Haven't been online, computer crashI have been out at least 3 to 4 times a week. I've caught something every time. All about the same size 14" to 19" Went to the forebay and was pushed out of the area I was fishing, some people have no consideration. I guess I'll stick to the canal and the aqueduct.

What happened at the forebay. I go there frequently. I went there Saturday night & struck out, but I have never had any issues either

Just came back from the Farm & Safeway & caught 1 at each spot. 18" & 20"
Old 11-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by inrealtime View Post
What happened at the forebay.
I rode out to the pumps, gates were open. I don't know if you been there. Not a lot of room to cast. These 3 guys came right next to me and threw out there lines, to make a long story short, every time I casted out, I caught on to one of their lines. Frustrating. I ask the guys to move which he stated that I don't own the place and to deal with it. I just moved.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:22 PM
Striper Hunter

Went out this morning on the Mendota. Pretty good day. Caught 15 16" to 20" Fish are getting bigger
Old 11-08-2014, 02:55 PM
First Mate

Been fishing 3-4 times a week after work still . good bite these days early morning and when the sun is ready to set . Lots of large mouths , have never caught so many and in all the same spots where stripers are holding . 18 inch large mouth and 18 inch striper at the exit of a siphon with the lure hitting the exact same spot. Tried top water last night for the first time , looks promising had a large mouth chase the lure up to my feet. Using lures no bait at this time and plenty of nice size fish.Watch out for those crazy birds , flock of them flew over and it looked like it was raining crap...yea it was rain bird shit.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:00 PM
First Mate

Quote:
That is one of those spots that ive seen shoulder to shoulder before , always wondered how they fish like that without getting tangled.I like the solitude of the canals , there is always a good spot around the next corner
Old 11-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
I rode out to the pumps, gates were open. I don't know if you been there. Not a lot of room to cast. These 3 guys came right next to me and threw out there lines, to make a long story short, every time I casted out, I caught on to one of their lines. Frustrating. I ask the guys to move which he stated that I don't own the place and to deal with it. I just moved.
i see what you mean. I have not made it to the end. Tried a couple of times on a bike but it was so windy I had to give up.
It does get pretty congested at the dead end on the right at the entrance to Clifton. My buddy seems to have a problem with guys casting right next to him as well. Even surf fishing.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:18 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfield11 View Post
Been fishing 3-4 times a week after work still . good bite these days early morning and when the sun is ready to set . Lots of large mouths , have never caught so many and in all the same spots where stripers are holding . 18 inch large mouth and 18 inch striper at the exit of a siphon with the lure hitting the exact same spot. Tried top water last night for the first time , looks promising had a large mouth chase the lure up to my feet. Using lures no bait at this time and plenty of nice size fish.Watch out for those crazy birds , flock of them flew over and it looked like it was raining crap...yea it was rain bird shit.
I see people talk about siphons & grates all the time. What are those & how do you identify them? I went Friday night around 9pm to 1am & not one bite. Man that was hard to drive along the MEndota at night. I only threw lures at Safeway & the Farm since that was the only areas I was famiiar with fishing there during the day. Guess I will have to explore during the day again
Old 11-09-2014, 12:38 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
E
Where are you fishing? The Mendota or Cali? I've been catching nothing but stripers. Been riding my scooter on the Mendota from Safeway pass Bird Ave. It seems to me that I catch more fish in the mornings then the evenings.
Went out this evening chain broke on the scooter had a nice walk back to the truck. Caught 4 on my way back. One on top water. I'm new to that method but its pretty cool watching the fish hit it
Old 11-09-2014, 02:07 PM
First Mate

Quote:
E
Where are you fishing? The Mendota or Cali? I've been catching nothing but stripers. Been riding my scooter on the Mendota from Safeway pass Bird Ave. It seems to me that I catch more fish in the mornings then the evenings.
Went out this evening chain broke on the scooter had a nice walk back to the truck. Caught 4 on my way back. One on top water. I'm new to that method but its pretty cool watching the fish hit it
Fishing the mendota canal over 90% ofthe time . There is the gates on the cali that i will walk too when i get the chance. Right now i get off work at 4:30 and hit the mendota as the sun ducks behind the hills. Ussally 20 or 30 minutes of lur time until dark.Cant explain the large mouth action ,but still using the swim shad and they have been hitting when the lure falls.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:17 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by inrealtime View Post
I see people talk about siphons & grates all the time. What are those & how do you identify them? I went Friday night around 9pm to 1am & not one bite. Man that was hard to drive along the MEndota at night. I only threw lures at Safeway & the Farm since that was the only areas I was famiiar with fishing there during the day. Guess I will have to explore during the day again
Tracy blvd is a siphon on the mendota with a set of gates on the west side as well, too bad the gates are too hard to fish there. Down on the southern cali there are areas of grates the allow the water run out of the duct and into irrigation canals . Grates in those areas are big and hold bait fish behind the grate bars. Up in the mendota the grates are much smaller usally but there are a couple of good size grates that can be accessed,there is a grate at the farm right before that siphon that has given up a couple big fish.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:18 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Tracy blvd is a siphon on the mendota with a set of gates on the west side as well, too bad the gates are too hard to fish there. Down on the southern cali there are areas of grates the allow the water run out of the duct and into irrigation canals . Grates in those areas are big and hold bait fish behind the grate bars. Up in the mendota the grates are much smaller usally but there are a couple of good size grates that can be accessed,there is a grate at the farm right before that siphon that has given up a couple big fish.
I've seen those, I'll have to try and fish that spot. Thanks again for the tip