Gulf Coast Striped Bass Restoration project - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Mississippi Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 02-28-2008, 03:16 AM

Default Gulf Coast Striped Bass Restoration project

Restoration project

Gulf Coast Restoration project

Katrina photos of the lab
Click image for larger version

Name:	gulfposter.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	4916
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Gulf Coast Restoration project

This is the project I am working on for my Masters degree. I am implanting acoustic tags in striped bass which will allow me to track fish to determine movement patterns and habitat use. So we can try to protect critical areas.

Heres my student page, with the lone striper I've tagged this year.
http://www.usm.edu/gcrl/contacts/view_vitae.php?id=1155

I am working on the Biloxi and Tchoutacabouffa Rivers in Mississippi looking for striped bass. It has been tough so far and now its getting tougher with water temperatures warming up.

If anyone has locations they frequently catch fish, please let me know, either PM or email. Thanks. I appreciate all your help.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:28 AM
BU3(scw)

hey buddy my name is Justin O'Donnell i live in biloxi. i have for awhile been trying to find a fishing partner with no luck. not only fishing but hunting also i love duck hunting and am very much so looking forword to this up coming season. j love the project your working on my uncle would too his name is ed or you might know him as gunnie sniper any ways hit me back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtsailor86 View Post
hey buddy my name is Justin O'Donnell i live in biloxi. i have for awhile been trying to find a fishing partner with no luck. not only fishing but hunting also i love duck hunting and am very much so looking forword to this up coming season. j love the project your working on my uncle would too his name is ed or you might know him as gunnie sniper any ways hit me back
If you're out on the Biloxi River, Tchoutacabouffa River or Back Bay and see the USM skiff, stop by and say Hi. I am always open for local fisherman helping me out, since I have only been here a year and on the water for about 6 months.

I've heard the mouth of Fritz Creek and by Popp's Ferry Bridge are good spots in the Fall. If your willing to share any more locations I'd appreciate it, and if you catch a striper, i urge you to put him back so we can try and save the fish and improve habitat quality, plus I need about 29 more fish to tag and relocate for a good project, one is not going to cut it.

Look forward to seeing you on the water.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:30 PM

Anglers Needed to Assist GCRL Scientists in Collection of Striped Bass
Contributed by Martha Duvall - 228.327.8775
Tuesday, December 09, 2008
Southern Miss researchers “angling” for scientific data invite local fishermen to join the Striped Bass Fish Hunt, invite local fishermen to join the Striped Bass Fish Hunt, Dec. 19 and 20. The goal of the two-day tag and release event sponsored by Gulf Coast Research Laboratory is to implant acoustic tags in as many striped bass as possible. Registration is free and open both days from 6-9 a.m. at Popp & rsquo;s Ferry boat launch, Biloxi, Miss. To preregister, emailJay Dieterich, [email protected] or call 228.818.8820 or 856.371.9692.
GCRL fisheries biologists are studying the movement patterns and habitat use of striped bass in coastal Mississippi
waters.
The collection area is limited to Biloxi Back Bay (west of I-110), Big Lake, Bernard Bayou, Biloxi River and
Tchoutacabouffa River. Fish should be in good health and transported in an oxygenated live-well to the mobile tagging vessel. Upon successful tagging, the striped bass will be released near the area of capture; environmental variables will be measured and GPS coordinates recorded. All participants will receive a GCRL Striped Bass Restoration Program T-shirt. Striped bass caps will be awarded to anglers upon successful tagging. Additional awards will be given for the largest striped bass.
For more information, contact Dr. Rich Fulford, [email protected] or 228. 872.4282.
About The University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi, founded in 1910, is a comprehensive doctoral and research-extensive university fulfilling its mission of being a leading university in engaging and empowering individuals to transform lives and communities. In a tradition of leadership for student development, Southern Miss is educating a 21st century work force providing intellectual capital, cultural enrichment and innovation to Mississippi and the world. Southern Miss is located in Hattiesburg, Miss., with an additional campus and teaching and research sites on the Mississippi Gulf Coast; further information is found at www.usm.edu.
Southern Miss Marketing & PR
http://www.usm.edu/
  • Re-stocking effort began in 1967
  • Since 1969, over 12 million striped bass fingerlings have been released into Mississippi coastal waters.
  • Hundreds of tagged striped bass are recaptured and reported to project personnel.
  • Result: A small, viable recreational fishery has been re-established for striped bass in Mississippi.
  • Produced current state record fish
37 lbs., 13 oz.
from Bowie River
Old 02-02-2009, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Gulf Coast Striped Bass Restoration project

Mississipi Public Broadcasting

Striped bass one of the fiercest fish along Mississippi's Gulf Coast have all but disappeared. MPB's Phoebe Judge reports on what is being done to bring them back.

Trying to Save Mississippi's Striped Bass Population
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jay%20with%20striper.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	9735  
Old 08-13-2009, 02:08 PM

GCRL-Striped-Bass-Restoration-Program
Old 12-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Mississipi Public Broadcasting

Striped bass one of the fiercest fish along Mississippi's Gulf Coast have all but disappeared. MPB's Phoebe Judge reports on what is being done to bring them back.

Trying to Save Mississippi's Striped Bass Population

thats me. Our first fish we tagged acoustically in MS. it was released from the Stocking program in November 2004 and we recaptured it April 17, 2008.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
And i set this up too...i encourage all to sign uop and stay tuned, im in the process of developing maps for the habitat suitability models i developed and will post them once completed.

Thanks all!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:01 AM

Restocking of striped bass continues along the Coast

February 13 2010
By AL JONES - [email protected]

Sun Herald

LYMAN — Whether it’s freshwater or saltwater, fishing continues to improve in South Mississippi nearly five years after Hurricane Katrina.
While it might be a long shot to determine how many years the storm set the fish kill back on the Coast, the restocking measures continue.
Speckled trout and bass have been restocked in South Mississippi’s major water ways in all three Coastal counties to help offset the fish kill.

Now you can add striped bass to the mix.
Larry Nicholson has raised striped bass for 40 years with the Gulf Coast Research Lab.
But Katrina dealt a blow to the stock like she did to bass, bream, catfish, mullet and even a few trout.
The end result. A stretch of more than three years that no fish were raised and released into the rivers and bays of South Mississippi because of damage at the Research Lab.
Thanks to the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources in Biloxi, Nicholson is back raising fish at the Lyman Fish Hatchery.
‘‘I am still trying to get them back,’’ he said. ‘‘Katrina set us back. A lot. Prior to Katrina, I was raising between 150,000 and 200,000 phase one (two-inch fish) fingerlings every year and upwards of 10,000 and 15,000 phase two fish (six-inch fish).
‘‘Katrina knocked us back four years. That was lost time for getting fish back in the water.’’
Based on the number of fish that were being released, Nicholson estimates more than one million were lost.
He could not come up with an overall number killed by Katrina.
‘‘It could have set us back a decade,’’ Nicholson said. ‘‘That’s not out of the question.’’
Despite the loss, Nicholson keeps plugging on.
In conjunction with the DMR, 200,000 phase two fish were released on Feb. 2 and 5 to cap off the second phase of the striped bass project.
The first was in June 2009 when more than 120,000 non-tagged phase one bass were released into South Mississippi’s waterways.
The DMR has released striped bass near Indian Point on the Pascagoula River, Fort Bayou near the Washington Ave., Bridge, Biloxi’s Big Lake. Parker’s Creek, Popps Ferry, the Bay St. Louis system and McLeod State Park.
‘‘It has been great,’’ Nicholson said. ‘‘After the hurricane we had been trying to find ways to start up again but there was no money for the Research Lab to rebuild the program. Through the grace of the DMR we were able to get it going again.’’

As far as recatching the stripers, Nicholson said the current stock is two years away.
The bigger six-inch fish, could be ready next year.
‘‘I hope they will all be ready to be caught in two years,’’ Nicholson said. ‘‘They have to be a (state sanctioned) minimum of 15 inches with a three-fish bag limit,’’ Nicholson said.
‘‘I think it will take a year and a half for most of the fish to reach that size. Some of the phase two fish were almost a pound.
‘‘We have been able to get the phase one fish out in good numbers and hopefully they will reach 15 inches with two years. That would be good to see.’’
Since the Coastal rivers are the main source of restocking striped bass, Nicholson said it’s good to hear the news concerning recaptured fish.
One of the tagged striped bass made its way up the Pearl River to the damn at the Ross Barnett Reservoir.
Another striped bass worked its way up the river system and into the Bouie River near Hattiesburg.
That fish weighed nearly 38 pounds.
‘‘It’s good to hear from the fishermen,’’ Nicholson said. ‘‘The fish do have a tendency to move up the rivers to find colder waters and deep holes.
‘‘We’ve also had fish caught out front. One guy, who grew up fishing on the East Coast, caught a striped bass in April a few years ago while fishing the surf at Horn Island. We’ve also had fish caught in the Rigolets and in the Gulfport Small Craft Harbor. But for the most part, our fish remain in the rivers and bays.’’
A toll-free number, 866-244-6420, is being set up for fishermen to report tagged catches and will be available soon.

DEPARTMENT OF MARINE RESOURCES Adam Jackson of the DMR releases phase one striped bass into the river systems of South Mississippi.
Striped bass sit in a holding tank before being released into the river systems of South Mississippi.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Official Member

Hi, I've caught & released 4 or 5 striped bass, all between 1 & 2 lbs in the past couple weeks on Fort Bayou. This morning, up near I-10 I caught & released what I'm almost certain was a 3 lb hybrid. It had the broken lines and fought like a wildcat. I'm almost positive it wasn't a white bass, as I've caught 100's of those in West-Central Mississippi, where I'm from.

Anyway, I came across this forum while doing a search for hybrid bass in Mississippi, Fort Bayou & the Gulf Coast specifically. I was very surprised to catch a hybrid; I had no idea they were down here.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Pro Staff

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the report!