July's get together,,, - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Rhode Island Fishing
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rhode Island Fishing Rhode Island striped bass fishing - Local discussion & reports

Old 07-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Default July's get together,,,

,,,, was AWSOME!
Will there be an August????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: July's get together,,,

oh please do! 10th - 11th - 12th ?

Old 07-15-2007, 09:52 PM

Yea we definetly missed ya Zim....

Still a great gathering though. I need a friggin nap.....ZzZzZzZzZzzzzzzz

Craig aka Briggs

Aka mastersurfcaster

Master of His Own Domain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

yea, it killed me all day sat. now i am totally bummed. really wanted to see ya bro. glad you are doin good.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:23 AM

All I can say is WOW! I passed out cold, half hour after getting home and unloading, now I'm getting ready for work. I'll be back in about 8 hours or so to post my thoughts and experiances at this truly great time.
Smulax busted the cherry with a fine keeper on an eel in the middle of the night from a rocky point, doing it all the way he learned from guy's at the gathering. Wish I could stay longer and keep going but it's going to take me too long to put it all down! I could go on for pages, just on the plugs!
Old 07-16-2007, 07:23 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

What a great time.. this event proves the most important aspect of fishing... friendship... we have some great ones here..Zim, you were in our thoughts brother.

Special thanks to Gunny for putting together a top notch get together as well as giving us all a first hand tour and seminar of his life long fishing grounds...

I got home, changed into a pair of shorts and unloaded the truck, during the process, I found a second wind, my garage was in shambles due to the painting, so I cleaned up the mess,so after reclaiming my parking spot, I parked the truck inside ( out of the reach of the sap dripping pine tree) took a shower, made me a open face pulled pork sandwich ( with the leftovers) had a a beer and flopped on the couch to watch the Sox.... I saw as far as the second inning before the lights faded, Nancy came home just as the last out was being made and told me to go to bed..
Old 07-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Lunker

Thank you Gunny and all for setting up a great time. I felt I was among friends from the moment I got there. I was with Gunny and Smulax when Smulax caught his bass. The view of Smulax, silhouetted out on that rock point, waves crashing around us and that bent over pole made my night. Thanks to Roccus for letting me borrow a rod and reel. I now what I need now and will be geared up for the next road trip.
I'll post more pics later.

Only part of the gang.

Smulax and his keeper bass.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Something about skateboarding a main drag at 2:30 am (in pitch black-sorta) that really put things in perspective though.
And catching a DEM guy doing who knows what and freaking him out with a Convoy (@ 3:00 am) was definately top shelf.
Lived in R.I. for many years and have never been to Beavertail (by land). The place is awsome!!!! Very scenic and not the tourist trap that I've been lead to believe, but think I'll fish by boat over there.
No longer having the capabilities of a "mountain goat" (as someone put it-) I never got to wetting a line. But still, had a awsome time. Like a miniature fishing Expo of sorts.
Roc,,, you need a bigger truck!!!!!

Gunny and family,,, Just don't know how else to put it. THANK YOUfor a great time and the mountains of effort you put into making this work so outstandingly well!

,,,, and I'm ready to go it again.

This has got to be the #1 Striper site on the internet by far,,, and it's all because of the people involved.

Thanks to everyone for a good time, and looking forward to meeting all again soon.
Gary
Old 07-16-2007, 09:46 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I've been away from work for a few days, so it's piling up, but before I get busy, a few more words..

It was great to meet up with old friends Like Striper Jim,Briggs, Jimi4290 ,Coalman and baitrunner...

It was great to meet new friends Like Floatsum,Smulax and otheres that I never caught their names because I was too busy yakin'!

Jimi4290,old friend as I was driving home I was thinking, you were one of the few of the "hanger oners" at day break that didnt get a plug.... PM me, you name it bud, if it's in stock i'll send you one...

Floatsum, speacial thanks for watching the gear while we went off repelling and mountain climbing... I was gonna give ya a plug for playing gaurd, but ya disappeard before I got around to it ( too busy yakkin again) so pm me your addy, I'll send ya something nice...

I've got some pictures of our pre dawn cookout while camera man Coleman was napping ( sorry Dave, couldnt resist) I'll post em up tomorrow...

One last thought on my drive home, Seeing as Rhody is kind of a midlde ground for most of us, maybe we could get a hall this winter, do a How to seminar, some plug building,rod wrapping, reel maintenance some seminars on rigging etc... or maybe get our own booth at the RI shoiw and do some of the same... We have a little time so lets think about it...

Lastly ( I know I'm rambeling) Thanks to our brother and friend Striper Jim for bringing us all together..
Old 07-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Striper Hunter

To all involved......Thanks, my son and I had a great time with some great people. More fish.....um....any fish LOL would have been awesome as well. Special thanx to Ed for putting it all together and making us feel welcome. Thanx for the hats as well, those were perfect. Cant wait for the next gathering with more fiwsh........Thank you again ;0)
Old 07-16-2007, 11:34 AM
First Mate

Hey guys just wanted to say thank you for the wealth of information that was being thrown around during the evening. Gunny, what an impressive job of planning, preperation and of putting it all together.
StriperJim, thanks for everything, hanging out on the cliffs was... well it was what it was; "hanging" onto the cliffs. To everyone else thanks for sharing so much info with a newbie who needs all the help he can get. This truly is a great site because nobody looks down on another fisherman no matter what their experience level is.

THANKS EVERYONE,
BRYAN
Old 07-16-2007, 11:47 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

DAMN...IM STILL DRAGGIN ASS...i got a half crappy nap when i got home....which was around 1pm...finally went to bed about 8....had to mow the lawn...clean out the truck..wash my stuff..then myself...hang out with the kids...man ..no rest for the wicked...anyway...i had a BLAST.
good times....
hey roc..i think i have your coffee cup..ill get it to you..gunny found it on the ground next to the grill..we think its yours anyway. its kinda busy here at work so i will post some pics later this evening....and a special one for zim in the blue room for later...roc..i think you will like what i got on the puter at home for him...ill post it up tonight..funny, zim was at the gathering...snooping around for bait, i think he ate some of briggs's clam bellies...some of you know what that means..the rest will see later...
anyways..thank you everyone..it was the most fun i have had in a long time..the stories and good company alone were worth the trip...never mind the bluefish that stole my yellow pencil popper, and sent most of my eels back with no bodies....and my googan ass losing the only stripe in the rocks...i should have used a stronger leader...THANK YOU SUDS...i picked up the korkers (sandal type) on the way down....your right..i felt like spiderman on those rocks...frriggin awesome traction...oh...got a meeting at noon..ill think of more later..i got to prepare for the monday bullcrap session here at work...
Old 07-16-2007, 12:03 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Is it a black plastic coffee cup???? as I was washing the gear and stowing it I have one of the black plastics MIA...no big deal....

Jimi4290, your yellow popper isnt the only one "lost at sea" after having that bass slap the crap out of my special mackerel chugger/pencil I threw a touch down pass to china..... ever hear the snap of 50lb braid as the plug sails over the horizen..... I casted that Abu all night... not one serious back lash( I had one very minor one casting into the "breeze") a half hour into daylight POW flying plug... Jim... I wont cut that snarl out, even if it takes me a week to unravel it!
Old 07-16-2007, 01:27 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

yup..its the black cup..ill get it to ya...oh yea i remember that...thats why you quit pluggin early..lost yer plug...you had a nice spot too..lots of white water over there...
Old 07-16-2007, 01:46 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi4290 View Post
yup..its the black cup..ill get it to ya...oh yea i remember that...thats why you quit pluggin early..lost yer plug...you had a nice spot too..lots of white water over there...

Thats it, they do have measurements on the inside, handy measureing cooking ingreadents afield...

I spent a half hour trying to get it out( the snarl) BEFORE I finaly went and got my glasses.... I was getting close when everyone else called it a night....

I had deep water inbetween two bolders, a flat rock to stand on and a landing platform.. just too long of a hike/crawl a second time with another rod..