American eel trapping - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:55 AM
We'er like seven elevan; we may not be doing business but we'er always open.

Talking Re: American eel trapping

I also ask you Roccus a generalized location on where you got your harvest but i don't want to break any forum rules or blow up your spot.
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 08:18 AM
First Mate

Default Re: American eel trapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
From this morning..
that's a nice haul. i'm still workin with my 1 eel lol.

last saturday i got a chance to use my eel. i put him on ice and it made it WAY easier to hook it thru the lower jaw and out the eye with just my hands whereas before it was literally impossible. eels are so hardy, at least this one i got, i fished him all day saturday on a balloon with just 1 small bite. so then i threw him back in the bucket still with the hook and leader in its head so i wouldn't have to rehook it next day. hopefully PETA doesn't troll this forum lol. so then the eel was still alive next day so i fished it sunday too. got nothing on it, i think i need to find a better striper spot, i'm just in a stream that feeds into the hudson since i'm shore-bound. anyway, at the end of the weekend i took the hook out the eel's head and tossed it back in the aerated bucket. that was a week ago, i just checked and it is STILL ALIVE. it's missing an eye from where i hooked it, but it's still super lively. now i still got me an eel for this weekend! hopefully something eats him this time.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:24 AM

They are strong animals Aquaflu.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXwbu...e_gdata_player

Check out the eel tank. It's got a few leaks but it works well.
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 10:28 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRider View Post
They are strong animals Aquaflu.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXwbu...e_gdata_player

Check out the eel tank. It's got a few leaks but it works well.
oh nice. i bet that'd keep a ton of them alive for a long time. good luck getting them outta there tho lol. i had a heck of a time gettin that eel from a small 3 gallon throwup bucket to a clean water one.

well i set 3 minnow traps tonight. i discovered moldy catfood and herring heads from last month that got lost behind food in the refrigerator. it smelled pretty nasty so i figured maybe eels would like it? so i baited one trap with that to experiment. the other 2 traps i did a smorgasbord of catfood, herring and chicken livers. one of those 2 traps was the galvanized steel kind, and the other was one of the black vinyl coated ones. maybe just a coincidence but the 2 or 3 eels i caught so far have only been in the galvanized steel one. i'll check in the morning and see which trap, if any, they preferred, whether its moldy bait or fresh bait in a galvanized steel trap or fresh bait in a black vinyl coated trap.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:20 AM
First Mate

well i got 1 eel in the galvanized steel minnow trap with fresh frozen bait and 0 in either of the vinyl coated steel traps. i guess minnow traps only hold 1 eel. and looks like they dont like the smooth coated minnow traps, which is odd cuz i'd think the opposite. if i were an eel i'd rather slither across a smooth vinyl mesh rather than a rough galvanized steel mesh. the eel i caught this morning was about 14-14.5", very tough to determine if he's over the 14" maximum size allowed in NY. now my other eel will have someone to play with.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:44 PM
First Mate

i just baited up my traps for the night and noticed a tiny lil eel that must have gotten trapped during the day! it's really close to the 6" minimum. I attached a pic. i might keep it as a pet tho it's so cute. it was so small that it almost squeezed out the holes in the minnow trap. i had to quickly get him into a bucket or it woulda definitely been able to squeeze out the sides.

does anyone know if eels are cannibalistic? if I put this 6" skinny eel in with a 12" and 14" fat eel will it get eaten?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2979.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	16068  
Old 05-29-2012, 02:03 PM

They can be if you dont feed them. Def will eat thier dead
Old 05-30-2012, 11:35 AM

Put 2 eel pots ou tyesterday evening. Nothing in them. Used chicken and catfood. Any suggestions on bait? Or it too early in the season?
Put one far upriver where its mostly fresh the other was in brackish.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:34 PM

sorry about the quote. I pressed the wrong thing. Wish there was a delete button so I could erase it.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:23 AM

Any luck catching eels guys? I haven't tossed traps in a month or so. Gonna put a few out this evening and see what I get.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:47 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Any luck catching eels guys? I haven't tossed traps in a month or so. Gonna put a few out this evening and see what I get.
as for me i only got those 4 eels. haven't been setting traps since end of may cuz striper season is over for the hudson river where i am :( we only get stripers for 1 month out of the year then they run back to the ocean so they are all gone. but i caught more eels than stripers this year lol. only got 1 striper and 1 lil striper, and those weren't on eels. now i'm anxiously waiting for next april.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:11 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I've told you guy's all you need to know in this thread...herring can be bought in frozen flats ( perfectly legal because they are sea herring)...
here's a recent haul that had a vinal coated minow trap open up when I brought it on board because it could not hold another eel...the large trap was stuffed as well... this is what was left after the sort... about 50lbs of good bait eels..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eelin'.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	16109  
Old 06-26-2012, 07:22 AM
Lunker

Nice haul Roc!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
I've told you guy's all you need to know in this thread...herring can be bought in frozen flats ( perfectly legal because they are sea herring)...
here's a recent haul that had a vinal coated minow trap open up when I brought it on board because it could not hold another eel...the large trap was stuffed as well... this is what was left after the sort... about 50lbs of good bait eels..
Ohh my god. Nice job guy! Well I havent been putting pots out so thats one reason. Been fixing up my house which takes precedence over fishing. I have been catching stripers though so I'm happy. Been smoking them and getting tasty results.

Do you sell them Roc? Or keep them all for yourself?
Old 06-27-2012, 07:37 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Ohh my god. Nice job guy! Well I havent been putting pots out so thats one reason. Been fixing up my house which takes precedence over fishing. I have been catching stripers though so I'm happy. Been smoking them and getting tasty results.

Do you sell them Roc? Or keep them all for yourself?
I do have a bait dealers license.. and trapped and sold them comercialy for years.. but I do not sell them any longer... it's not hard for me to use 20-30 eels a night.. if I was buying them it would get expensive...