American eel trapping - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:18 PM
First Mate

Default Re: American eel trapping

oh i've read about the nightcrawlers in a nylon sock. i didn't realize you had to put so many in, a few months ago i tried it with 3 nightcrawlers in a lil ball and it didn't get me any eels. i'll have to try the hotdogs tho that sounds like a good one. i've tried chicken livers but sometimes the current in the river is strong enough that by morning time the livers are pushed thru the trap like a cheese grater. i have a bunch of frozen chicken livers in the freezer that i have to use up, maybe i'll try some in a nylon sock so the current doesn't squish them away.

so friday night i put out my trap with canned cat food in a nylon sock anchored in the middle of the trap with fishing line. then baited it with about 5 frozen baby herring since i had to use them up. it was super windy that night and chilly. then morning time got nothing but one 4" minnow. i think it was a chub, not sure. i have bad luck in real chilly windy weather. so anyway, i re-tossed the trap in the same spot without re-baiting and even kept the live chub minnow in there.

then this morning i went to pick up the trap. looked all over for the trap and it was GONE. i had it tied on 80lb mono line on a stick wedged around a huge boulder so someone must have found it. so i sat there staring at the river thinkin bout wut i was gonna do to the guy that stole my trap when i noticed 30 feet out one stick wasn't drifting with the current. i cast my fishing pole between the stick and where i placed my trap and reeled in. after 3 attempts, i snagged an invisible line and realized it was my trap!! so the strong waves must have jarred my stick loose and took it out in the tide but the weight of the trap kept it from going too far. man i was lucky. so i reeled the stick to shore and pulled the trap in by hand figuring i wouldn't catch anything since my bait had been out there a good 30 hours. then to my amazement i got an eel!!! today's my lucky day. the chub minnow was gone, either got away or got eaten. most, if not all, of the bait was still there. eels are tough to measure but i'd say he's about 10". perfect striper food for today. here he is in a 4.5 gallon bucket:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2969.jpg
Views:	1366
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	15956

so now i'm going to go striper fishing. will try a few herring and then my live eel. can i fish live eels during the day or is it really a night bait?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaflu View Post
can i fish live eels during the day or is it really a night bait?
They can work during the day as well.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:09 PM
We'er like seven elevan; we may not be doing business but we'er always open.

Really? I'm gonba have to check that out. Don't know who that would be for Essex, Salem and Beverly.
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 12:23 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRider View Post
Really? I'm gonba have to check that out. Don't know who that would be for Essex, Salem and Beverly.

If you read the regulation it's pretty clear..http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/comme...egulations.htm.

and the same regs. go for recreational use as well...
Old 04-30-2012, 12:25 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
oh i've read about the nightcrawlers in a nylon sock. i didn't realize you had to put so many in, a few months ago i tried it with 3 nightcrawlers in a lil ball and it didn't get me any eels. i'll have to try the hotdogs tho that sounds like a good one. i've tried chicken livers but sometimes the current in the river is strong enough that by morning time the livers are pushed thru the trap like a cheese grater. i have a bunch of frozen chicken livers in the freezer that i have to use up, maybe i'll try some in a nylon sock so the current doesn't squish them away.

so friday night i put out my trap with canned cat food in a nylon sock anchored in the middle of the trap with fishing line. then baited it with about 5 frozen baby herring since i had to use them up. it was super windy that night and chilly. then morning time got nothing but one 4" minnow. i think it was a chub, not sure. i have bad luck in real chilly windy weather. so anyway, i re-tossed the trap in the same spot without re-baiting and even kept the live chub minnow in there.

then this morning i went to pick up the trap. looked all over for the trap and it was GONE. i had it tied on 80lb mono line on a stick wedged around a huge boulder so someone must have found it. so i sat there staring at the river thinkin bout wut i was gonna do to the guy that stole my trap when i noticed 30 feet out one stick wasn't drifting with the current. i cast my fishing pole between the stick and where i placed my trap and reeled in. after 3 attempts, i snagged an invisible line and realized it was my trap!! so the strong waves must have jarred my stick loose and took it out in the tide but the weight of the trap kept it from going too far. man i was lucky. so i reeled the stick to shore and pulled the trap in by hand figuring i wouldn't catch anything since my bait had been out there a good 30 hours. then to my amazement i got an eel!!! today's my lucky day. the chub minnow was gone, either got away or got eaten. most, if not all, of the bait was still there. eels are tough to measure but i'd say he's about 10". perfect striper food for today. here he is in a 4.5 gallon bucket:

Attachment 15956

so now i'm going to go striper fishing. will try a few herring and then my live eel. can i fish live eels during the day or is it really a night bait?
it's still early in the season.. migration gets under way in June.. that's the time to load up..

and as jake said.. good bait night or day..
Old 05-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
thanks. I used some cheap 50 cent catfood and vomiting-eel. i might just stick with striper fishing with herring lol. unfortunately where i am fishing, people are only catching the 4" baby herring on sabiki rigs. dont know where the big herring are.
Just "a word to the wise", If I were you I'd check the regs before using any more of those herring.

Here in Rhode Island, & I believe in a lot of other states, the possession of river herring is illegal now, big time.

Brad
Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad S View Post
Just "a word to the wise", If I were you I'd check the regs before using any more of those herring.

Here in Rhode Island, & I believe in a lot of other states, the possession of river herring is illegal now, big time.

Brad
yeah that's the first thing i did was check the regulations. the new york regulations let us take herring in hudson river up to troy dam which is way north of me. there's no size limit. i thought there used to be a 50 limit per day but i just checked and it looks like unlimited, i still would only keep like 20 a whole season. the only thing is we're not allowed to transport them in a car unless we're gonna eat em. so if anyone asks what i'm doing with my herring i'm eatin em :)

as for the eel regs, in new york they have to be at least 6" and for use as bait they can't be longer than 14". and no limit.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:44 PM

Default Re: American eel trapping / Storage tank

Just wanted to post my eel live well I finished last night. Just have to put marine sealer on the pipes and whatnot and I'm in business.
Got the pump from Pet Co. 650 gallons an hour. PVC pipes are 3/4 inch diameter.
The container is a 50 gal. that I got from work for free.
If anyone is interested in these let me know and I can get you one when available.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Eel tank.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	16008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eel tank2.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	16009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	16010  
Old 05-11-2012, 12:57 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

you'll find that laying the drum on it's side.. cutting a narrow elongated door and setting it in a stand makes a better tank...more surface area...

the curved sides make it harder for them to excape as well... also makes the job of retrieving them a hell of alot eaiser....

I keep mine in keepers on my dock...much less hastle..

If you keep them in a tank... be sure to purge them first... or risk loosing the whole lot when they do purge...
Old 05-11-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
you'll find that laying the drum on it's side.. cutting a narrow elongated door and setting it in a stand makes a better tank...more surface area...

the curved sides make it harder for them to excape as well... also makes the job of retrieving them a hell of alot eaiser....

I keep mine in keepers on my dock...much less hastle..

If you keep them in a tank... be sure to purge them first... or risk loosing the whole lot when they do purge...
I have a separate tank ill use when they barf. Too bad I already cut the holes in the tank. I'm going to make a little contraption for them to hide in so when i go to retrieve them i just pull it up and dump them into a strain kinda thing and pick the preferred size.

Have you been out catching any yet Roccus? I plan on tossing a few test pots to see what's around. Gonna try a new spot in Salem that seems to be unknown.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:18 PM
First Mate

i still gotta use my eel i caught on april 29th. i tried using him that weekend but it wouldn't sit still for me to ram a hook in its head. i know people say they are slippery, but they are like impossible to hold without squeezing it to death. so i took it home and kept it in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid with holes in it and an aquarium air pump hooked up to it and he's been alive almost 2 weeks. i just checked on it and it's still waggin its tail. hopefully i'll get to use him tomorrow. i might put some ice cubes in with it to slow it down.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:03 AM

Quote:
i still gotta use my eel i caught on april 29th. i tried using him that weekend but it wouldn't sit still for me to ram a hook in its head. i know people say they are slippery, but they are like impossible to hold without squeezing it to death. so i took it home and kept it in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid with holes in it and an aquarium air pump hooked up to it and he's been alive almost 2 weeks. i just checked on it and it's still waggin its tail. hopefully i'll get to use him tomorrow. i might put some ice cubes in with it to slow it down.
I can't believe you still have it. Gives me hope with my eel tank I just built.
Use a scotch bright pad to grab it. Or you could drop some sand on it for some grip. When you hook it just go up through the jaw and out the eye socket.
I'm sure Roccus knows more than I on how to hook them differently.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:47 AM

Correction, 114 Liters = 30.12 something gallons.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:32 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRider View Post
I have a separate tank ill use when they barf. Too bad I already cut the holes in the tank. I'm going to make a little contraption for them to hide in so when i go to retrieve them i just pull it up and dump them into a strain kinda thing and pick the preferred size.

Have you been out catching any yet Roccus? I plan on tossing a few test pots to see what's around. Gonna try a new spot in Salem that seems to be unknown.
From this morning..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2[1].jpg
Views:	682
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	16025  
Old 05-16-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
From this morning..
Thanks Roccus; now I at least know there here. Your close by so if I come across any of your pots I won't dump mine right on top of yours.
Question, the bait looks like fish. Is that what your using?
Also should I mark my pots with my licence number and name? Never done so before but was thinking of putting tags on them. Just in case a DMF/ or honest person comes across them.
Other than that I'm gonna just hide them well.
Just one more question, do you sell them as well or do you catch them for personal use cause I wanted to figure out who gives the best money per Lbs on eels?
Sry for blowing you up for info but your the king of Eels
Any time you need Hard-boot snowboarding info I got ya bro.