live lining herring - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-23-2011, 01:33 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

Default live lining herring

past couple of weeks, we tried for herring from shore and netted alot and is so much better then buying bloodworms. we been chunking them mostly with success. we also liveline them, but at low rates we caught stripers. we get many runs but cant hook the fish. whats the best way to hook a striper on live herring. I put the hook behind and below the dorsal fin, been using 3 way swivel set up or sinker/slider rig.

oo and btw, i still havent caught one yet this year, everyone else has been catching here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 02:53 PM
First Mate

Default Re: live lining herring

In the mouth up through top of head. There is a soft spot. Too far forward you will cat it off, too far back you will go through brain and kill it
Old 05-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNskY View Post
In the mouth up through top of head. There is a soft spot. Too far forward you will cat it off, too far back you will go through brain and kill it
What he said and use a big hook, I like a 8/0
Old 05-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Senior Member Elite

I run a small Zip tie through the nose and zip my hook onto the Herring. That way they live all day and when the striper hits the hook pulls out of the herring easily and gets them in the mouth. Never had one swallow the hook this way. I also use 7-0 and 8-0 circle hooks.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:48 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

Thanx, ill try these. How long should I wait to set the hook tho? And right now we can't get any herring, no idea where they are, but we will keep tryin
Old 05-25-2011, 06:24 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
I run a small Zip tie through the nose and zip my hook onto the Herring. That way they live all day and when the striper hits the hook pulls out of the herring easily and gets them in the mouth. Never had one swallow the hook this way. I also use 7-0 and 8-0 circle hooks.
i imagine you are fishing from a boat? i think the bait would come off with any decent cast like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglethedangle View Post
Thanx, ill try these. How long should I wait to set the hook tho? And right now we can't get any herring, no idea where they are, but we will keep tryin
i use octo circles and let it run for a while, the smaller fish take some time to get the whole bait in their mouth, and even if the larger ones swallow the bait the hook usually ends up in their lip. i gut hooked a striper for the first time the other day in 3 years of fishing llike this
Old 05-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Senior Member Elite

Yes I do fish from a boat but I cast out and have never had a herring come off. Zip ties work well. I set the hook as soon as the line runs.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Keelhauler

Stripers always take the herring head first, with that being said I either hook them through the soft spot on the nose, or right ahead of the dorsal fin. The 3 way swiv is a garbage set up IMO, unless your fishing the ocean or sound with eels. I run sinker slides and 9/0 mustad demon cirlce hooks. More or less set it as soon as its running and the rod is in my hands.

ALL TIME PBs
Boated in a run: 59 (2020)
Boated in a day: 23 (2020)
Biggest: 42" (2016)
Old 05-27-2011, 07:14 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schubert View Post
Stripers always take the herring head first, .
then why after i let them run for a minute sometimes the bait comes back with only a scrape on the tail?
Old 05-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Keelhauler

Quote:
then why after i let them run for a minute sometimes the bait comes back with only a scrape on the tail?
Ya got me man. Start checking the bait after you catch the fish. 10+ years and hundreds of fish later I have yet to catch one that took it tail first, chunk bait excluded..

ALL TIME PBs
Old 05-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Ya got me man. Start checking the bait after you catch the fish. 10+ years and hundreds of fish later I have yet to catch one that took it tail first, chunk bait excluded..
big catfish?
Old 05-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Keelhauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmedick View Post
big catfish?
it happens. i catch a few big cats every year, even on live. sometimes they even run like a striper, but you know its not when you hook into it.

ALL TIME PBs
Old 05-29-2011, 09:01 PM
First Mate

Quote:
i know that they always swallow it head first. but they dont always grab it head first. this year a lot of fish dropped my bait and most of them come back with only a scrape on the tail section. i think they grab the bait and run with it, then stop and spin it around in their mouth. that is why i always let the fish run with my bait before i set my mouth hooked herring. i tried hooking the herring in the back and the belly and even using a stinger in the tail but all of these methods either kill the herring way too fast or tangle the lines. its ok though because im confident that anything but the small fish get the whole thing in their belly fairly quickly.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Official Member

Quote:
i know that they always swallow it head first. but they dont always grab it head first. this year a lot of fish dropped my bait and most of them come back with only a scrape on the tail section. i think they grab the bait and run with it, then stop and spin it around in their mouth. that is why i always let the fish run with my bait before i set my mouth hooked herring. i tried hooking the herring in the back and the belly and even using a stinger in the tail but all of these methods either kill the herring way too fast or tangle the lines. its ok though because im confident that anything but the small fish get the whole thing in their belly fairly quickly.
I agree 100% I have had a lot of short strikes on the tails.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Keelhauler

Personally I dont wait long to set the hook. The second I get to my pole I do it, I dont miss many runs, and they are all hooked in the nose or in the back, infront of the dorsal fin. Interesting to hear others take on things. Not saying your wrong at all, just not what I have experienced. Wouldnt the "stinger" hook on the tail prove your point?

ALL TIME PBs