Stop Insanity Island!!! - Exxon Mobil - LNG's & New Jersey & L.I. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News Public Access / Politics/ Permits / Conservation Management / News

Old 12-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Default Stop Insanity Island!!! - Exxon Mobil - LNG's & New Jersey & L.I.

PRESS STATEMENT

For Immediate Release: December 11, 2007
CONTACT: Cindy Zipf, 732-872-0111 (office) or 732-996-4613 (cell)

BIG OIL STRIKES AGAIN AT OUR SHORE

Whos Next, Darth Vader?

Sandy Hook, NJ “ Today, Exxon Mobil Corporation announced plans to seek regulatory approval for BlueOcean Energy, a floating liquefied natural gas (LNG) receiving terminal. The project will be located 20 miles off the coast of New Jersey.

This project is on the heels of another proposal by Atlantic Sea Island Group to build the first man-made ocean island for LNG off Sea Bright, NJ, and Long Beach, NY.

Heres another bad actor that wants to bring fossil fuels, pollution, and industrial development to our cleaner, healthier ocean. Whos next, Darth Vader? said Cindy Zipf, Executive Director of Clean Ocean Action (COA). In particular, Exxon Mobil is known around the world for drunken sailors, massive oil spills, and destroying communities, such as in Prince William Sound, Alaska. This companys track record is not one we would welcome to the Jersey Shore to manage hazardous material off our coast.

This proves the need for swift passage of the NJ/NY Clean Ocean Zone Act that would prohibit such facilities and stop Big Oil from destroying what we worked so hard to clean-up, said David Byer, COA Water Policy Attorney

###

Clean Ocean Action
18 Hartshorne Drive, Suite #2
Highlands, NJ 07732
PH: 732-872-0111
Fax: 732-872-8041
www.cleanoceanaction.org

Natural Resources Protective Association
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 09:33 PM

Default Re: NRPA Press Statement On Exxon And N.J.

BIG OIL” AND FOSSIL FUEL THREATEN NY/NJ COAST

The Players.
Citizens for Clean oceans
http://www.cleanoceanaction.org/index.php?id=644

Big Oil
Exxon Mobil Blue Ocean Energy

ORGANIZATIONS SIGNING
STATEMENT OF OPPOSITION
Bayshore Regional Watershed Council (NJ)
Belford Seafood Co-op
Coastal Research & Education Society
of Long Island
Conserve Wildlife Foundation of New Jersey
Delaware Riverkeeper Network
Environment New Jersey
Fishermen's Conservation Association
Fishermen's Dock Co-op, Inc.
Garden State Seafood Association
GreenFaith: Interfaith Partners for the Earth
Green Party of Monmouth County
Green Party of New Jersey
Green Party of Ocean County
Jersey Coast Anglers Association
Lund's Fisheries, Inc.
Monmouth County Audubon Society
Natural Resources Protective Association
New Jersey Audubon Society
New Jersey Council of Diving Clubs
New York City Audubon Society
New York/New Jersey Baykeeper
Paddleout.org
Raritan Riverkeeper
Recreational Fishing Alliance
School Based Youth Services of Cape May
Sierra Club Long Island Group
Sisters of St. Dominic
Sisters of Saint Joseph
South Shore Audubon Society
Staten Island Tuna Club
Surfers' Environmental Alliance
Surfrider Foundation,
Central Long Island Chapter
Surfrider Foundation,
Eastern Long Island Chapter
Surfrider Foundation, Jersey Shore Chapter
Surfrider Foundation, NYC Chapter
Surfrider Foundation, South Jersey Chapter
Township of Neptune Environmental/
Shade Tree Commission
Viking Village
WATERSPIRIT

MUNICIPALITIES SIGNING
STATEMENT OF OPPOSITION
Borough of Bradley Beach, NJ
City of Long Branch, NJ
Borough of Manasquan, NJ
Township of Neptune, NJ
Borough of Sea Bright, NJ
Borough of Shrewsbury, NJ

BUSINESSES SIGNING
STATEMENT OF OPPOSITION
K-Kat Sportfishing, Oceanport, NJ

Last Updated: Friday, January 9, 2009

Take Action!
The agency review "clock" is already ticking for the Atlantic Sea Island Group project. A formal application for the Exxon facility has not been submitted, to date. Each project will bring opportunities for citizens, organizations, businesses, and elected officials to express concerns about these two LNG projects. Here are some actions to take against these two fossil fuel projects:

��
Organizations can sign the Statement of Opposition to Offshore LNG Facilities in the NY/NJ Clean Ocean Zone (available at www.cleanoceanaction.org)

��

Write a letter to your Governor, who has veto power over these projects, and urge him to oppose the ASIG and Exxon facilities

��

Voice your opposition to these projects to your federal, state, county, and local elected officials

��

Write letters to the editor to local and regional newspapers opposing the projects and encouraging citizens, organizations, and elected officials to take action against the facilities

��

Send alerts to friends, family members, co-workers, and members of organizations in which you are involved as the project moves through the application review process and urge them to attend public hearings, meetings, and action events

��

Support "The New Jersey/New York Clean Ocean Zone Act" or H.R. 2854, which is bi-partisan, bi-state legislation to permanently protect the waters off the NY/NJ coast from polluting activities and facilities, such as the LNG island and floating LNG terminal (visit www.cleanoceanzone.org for information and ways to support the COZ)

Prepared by:
Clean Ocean Action * 18 Hartshorne Drive, Suite 2, Highlands, NJ 07732 * PH: 732-872-0111 * Fax: 732-872-8041

email: [email protected] * www.CleanOceanAction.org
Updated February 21, 2008
Old 01-12-2009, 09:36 PM

Default Re: NRPA Press Statement On Exxon And N.J.

Exxon Mobil
They along with Shell, BP and others have left the third world's canals and rivers flaming cess pools. Is it any wonder the rest of the world hates us? Now that they have secured most of the worlds oil by building refineries in exchange for bank loans and infrastructure, making obscenely rich the despots who rule the poorest countries on earth, they would like to have their own little slice off the coast of New Jersey.

Their track record sucks. Tell them to ef off.

Support the Coz Bill
Learn more about federal legislation to permanently protect the ocean from pollution:
The New Jersey/New York Clean Ocean Zone Bill -- H.R. 2854
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009, 04:46 AM

Default Re: Exxon Mobil looks to screw New Jersey -Public meeting Jan 27 2009

STOP INSANITY ISLAND!

The 140-acre man-made island proposed off the Jersey Shore & Long Island

Speak Out & Defend Our Ocean:

Public Meeting – Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Open house 4:30-6pm
Public speaking/meeting 6-8pm
The Sheraton of Eatontown, 6 Industrial Way East, Eatontown, NJ 07724

Public Meeting – Thursday, January 29, 2009
Open house 4:30-6pm
Public speaking/meeting 6-8pm
Public Library, 111 West Park Avenue, Long Beach, NY 11561

The Atlantic Sea Island Group is planning to build a massive industrial complex in the ocean for the importation of LNG (liquefied natural gas). The private company has no experience in LNG operations or offshore construction.

The project THREATENS:
þ American energy independence
þ Our environment
þ Our wallets
þ Our way of life

LNG tankers are up to nearly four football fields in length

DIRTY DETAILS ABOUT INSANITY ISLAND:

Ø 14 times the size of Giants Stadium
Ø Made with 14 million tons of fill – 10 times the volume of the Empire State Building
Ø Marine life and habitat will be killed and destroyed
Ø 19 miles from Sea Bright, NJ and 13 miles from Long Beach, NY

LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) IS UN-AMERICAN:

· LNG is a foreign fossil fuel from volatile sources like Russia, the Middle East, and Africa.
· LNG is dirty -- up to 40% dirtier than American natural gas and it will increase carbon dioxide emissions and climate change.
· American sources of natural gas are cheaper and plentiful—enough to meet our needs
for 120 years.

California, Connecticut, and New York have rejected LNG projects off their coasts.
Our Governors must reject them here, too.

New Jersey and New York must choose green and renewable domestic energy that
creates thousands of good, sustainable jobs.

Keep us free from LNG!

***MORE INFORMATION AND OTHER WAYS TO TAKE ACTION***

Talking points about Insanity Island & LNG: www.CleanOceanAction.org or 732-872-0111

Project application: http://www.regulations.gov (type docket number USCG-2007-28535)

Send written comments to the Docket Management Facility by February 9, 2009 (include Docket number USCG-2007-28535, your name and address) via:
  • Fax: 202-493-2251 (confirm receipt by telephone at 202-366-9329)
  • Mail: Department of Transportation, Docket Management Facility, West Building, Ground Floor, Room W12-140, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE, Washington, DC 20590-0001.
This Action Alert prepared by:

Clean Ocean Action * 18 Hartshorne Drive, Suite 2 * Highlands, NJ 07732

Old 01-24-2009, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Stop Insanity Island!!! - Exxon Mobil - LNG's & New Jersey & L.I.

Please sign the petition. the goal is 25,000 signitures

Old 01-24-2009, 08:41 AM

Thumbs down Re: Stop Insanity Island!!! - Exxon Mobil - LNG's & New Jersey & L.I.

Hi There,
As a Published Poet I have been outraged about the environment.
There seems to be no end to the neglect and it continues on.
Maybe it will hit home when it starts to effect
The perpetrator's future unborn.
Our future has already been ransomed by those " Captain's Of Greed "
As they have failed miserably in genuinely taking heed.
You would have thought in the past
When the whales and fish washed ashore
That there would be more concern.
As there are still huge amounts of garbage
And mercury poison that pollutes our ocean floors.
We the general public are not privy
To always know what goes on behind those Corporate doors
But in conclusion these CEO'S are as dirty as cheap bit whores
Old 01-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Official Member

I always understand peoples concerns but a simple questions should squilch much of the complaining. Do you drive a car? Do you heat your home or business with natural gas? Do you fly for business and/or pleasure? Answer yes to any of these questions and you have no business complaining about the oil companies and what they have to do to let YOU enjoy YOUR lifestyle.

We live in a world of hypocritical people - most of them are so-called "environmentalist" or "green".
Old 01-26-2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach
I always understand peoples concerns but a simple questions should squilch much of the complaining. Do you drive a car? Do you heat your home or business with natural gas? Do you fly for business and/or pleasure? Answer yes to any of these questions and you have no business complaining about the oil companies and what they have to do to let YOU enjoy YOUR lifestyle.
Coach - I can answer yes to all of those questions. I can also tell you what you already know, that oil companies enjoyed record breaking profits last year.
I would like to posit a position as a non tree hugger non environmentalist if I may, with the following supporting lesson in history.
Let me say first that I havent the tiniest problems with them refining, mining, selling oil or researching alternatives. I do understand that they drive the industries that directly and indirectly employ a large percentage of American workers.
What I have a problem with is that when they take a dump, they dont flush the dam toilet.
We have plenty of natural gas right here in the US but Exxon Mobil doesnt own it. This is also a time when we as a nation need desperately to to lesson our dependence on foreign oil. +
They can and will move those ugly eyesores off shore, but why do that when they can try and foist a less expensive alternative for their stockholders. They want to bring in the stuff from their foreign sources and store it in these monsters close to our shores for easy access to the ports.
These same shorelines the common citizen would like to protect for their children and grandchildren.
Environmental pollution, degradation, river siltation, coastal erosion as well as extermination of wildlife, fauna and flora have become the fate of oil bearing communities everywhere else in the world.
It will also become the fate of our communities regardless of what the special interest bullshit artists put out there.

Just as an aside if it wasnt for those "environmentalists" the Hudson and Delaware Rivers - the New York bight and Jersey Shore would still be sewers like they were in the 1970's. Apart from crude oil, there are a number of industries whose activities generate waste. They were never properly monitored and managed, until it became public knowledge through the efforts of various "environmentalists".
Today the efforts of these groups center around cleanup campaigns.

A little history

The book "Silent Spring" written in 1962 by Rachel Carson focused attention on polution and the environment especially DDT and became the driving force of the emerging environmental movement in the United States.

Factories found water sources, especially rivers, a convenient means of waste disposal. The trend continued well into the twentieth century. The Cuyahoga River in Ohio caught fire several times since the 1930s, a result of oil slicks and flammable industrial waste dumped in it. Coupled with widespread and human waste contamination of rivers, a fire on the Cuyahoga in 1969, led to the enactment of the 1972 Clean Water Act. The act has been criticized for leading to wasted money without effective controls and monitoring systems. There is also the difficulty inherent in controlling nonpoint source pollution—pollution from diffuse or not-easily identifiable sources—
In 1984 Union Carbide leaked 30 tons of lethal methyl isocyanate gas in Bhopal India - 8000 people died instantly. In the United States, Congress acted swiftly to enact the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA).

No one can make the argument that the costs have skyrocketed since we have legislated and instituted rigid safeguards. Supply and demand drives the market still - it just doesnt put as many dollars into the corporate coffers.
Big oil has been everywhere else and poisoned the residents with the sludge and other toxic waste they hadn't properly disposed of.
I dont want to see these 4 football field size bastards in New York or New Jersey but - hey -thats just me.

+US Natural Gas Energy Outlook
Old 01-26-2009, 03:19 AM

Although. - it could make for some interesting structure.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Official Member

God Bless You All,
I know I shouldn't get involved in this thread but what the hell, there's lots of things I shouldn't have done but did anyway.
As long as it's for sale and you and I buy it, we are just as guilty as those selling it. We want our fast diesel or gas-powered boats, hemi-powered trucks to pull 'em around (from our heated and air-conditioned houses, that have only half of the rooms occupied), and at the same time want to jump around screamin' and hollerin' against the corporations (people) who make all those wants of ours possible. Go ahead, get mad, quit reading.
I want a "greener" Earth too, but until I quit buying petroleum products (and that includes all plastics now on the market from depth finders, to EPIRBS, to life-jackets, artificial lures, mono, flouro, and braided line, computer parts, and the list goes on-and-on...) and you quit buying petroleum products....they will keep selling them. It's called supply and demand. We demand, they supply.
Of course, if we quit buying they will stop supplying. It won't be fun, it won't be easy. It might mean that we all have to give up fishing for years, unless we can walk to water and fish from the shore or row out).
We will have to make claims, not threats but promises, that we will not drive, boat or continue our hobbies and even professions until manufacturers and suppliers start supplying us with "Green" alternatives.
Hell, we're a fickle bunch. We want to "eat our cake and have it too."
I want a "greener" planet to leave to my children and grandchildren but what is my sacrifice worth if nobody else gets alongside? I want you to have fun. I want you to recreate and relax from your jobs and stresses. I want that for me too. I want it for my grandboys.
It's this simple, I would buy a boat that runs on electricity or a fuel-cell. I'll bet most of you would too. the problem is....nobody makes a bass boat that handles like a gas-powered unless it is gas-powered. Nobody makes a tow-vehicle that that pulls like a diesel or hemi that isn't a diesel or a hemi. Nobody makes tough, waterproof, shatterproof equipment that isn't refined from petroleum.
As long as oil-producers, and their business partners, keep providing us with the toys, equipment and fuel, who's going to stop buying? Who?
I'm at the mercy of the suppliers. We're at the mercy of the suppliers as we can only buy what is offered for sale, along with the energy that fuels it. Gas boats and gasoline, plastics, and fossil fuels.
I remember when a proposal to build wind-farms, off the Long Island coast, was mentioned, a lot of people griped about them causing noise pollution and being eye-sores. All I could think of was...(grin) more offshore structure. I think they are pleasing to the eye and even more so when I consider they are providing so much cheap, non-polluting energy, and they really aren't that loud. Hell, jet airliners and trains are loud.
Shucks, maybe I'll just put a sail on my old boat, make a good cane pole and use hemp for line....hooks made from bones, rocks for sinkers. And yes, the guy with the gas boat, plastics, and refined fossil fuels will out fish me.
Your friend.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:45 AM

I totally agree with you guys but I dont think Im bringing across my point.
I am all for drilling in Alaska - and offshore.

But These oil companies have wiped their ass with the Amazon Jungle, the Rain Forests the African Tundra and Middle East. Equally implicit in all this is the rulers of the countries they broker deals with.
Just take a look at Shell oils record in Brent Spar, Nigeria and Equador.
In 1967 Texaco discovered large reserves of oil some distance north and west of the Yasuní National Park, on the border with Colombia. With the completion of a pipeline to the coast in 1972, the large-scale export of crude oil from Ecuador – mostly to the US – began.
By the time Texaco left the country, almost exactly 20 years later, more than 19 billion gallons of toxic wastewaters had been dumped and 16.8 million gallons of crude oil had spilled from the main pipeline through the forest. At least two groups of indigenous peoples, the Tetetes and the Sansahuari, had been wiped out by the destruction and pollution caused by the production process.
Litigation against Chevron – which merged with Texaco in 2001 – continues in the courts of Ecuador, 15 years after one of the worst environmental human-made disasters in history. Yet, hidden away in the Amazon as it was, it remains one of the least known – and the devastation keeps following the industry as it creeps south and east, into the Yasuní National Park itself.

Sure no one said oil was clean. Its freekin dirty and we need it now and use it - but look at their environmental records. The canals in Equador are flaming cess pools.
Dont just say - oh its ok - let them put up some ugly ass LNG tanks that could blow half of the New York Metropolitan area to Kansas because we're all hypocrits. Clean up the mess!!! Spend money on ethical projects instead of money for guns for the tribes to kill each other in the far away jungles.

Thats my piece
and I have the right to tell them to go put it somewhere where it wont kill people if the damn thing blows or spills.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:58 PM

Lasts nights hearing took place at the Sheraton in Eatontown, N.J.

New York's Public hearing on the platform off Long Beach, Long Island will be:
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Open house 4:30-6:00 pm
Public Speaking/meeting 6-8pm
Public Library, 111 West Park Avenue, Long Beach, NY 11561

By JoANN PILEGGI
The showdown pits dozens of environmental groups against Atlantic Sea Island Group, a company that bills its project as a "safe energy harbor" to be built in the Atlantic about 19 miles due east of Sea Bright, in 65 feet of water.
The venue for the showdown: a hearing on the proposed deepwater port held jointly by the U.S. Coast Guard and the Maritime Administration.
The hearing is part of the environmental impact review by the federal agencies that oversee maritime concerns.
Sandy Hook-based Clean Ocean Action is leading a campaign to lobby the federal government to shoot down the 86-acre (above water) offshore industrial complex project. Opponents contend it will require a volume of fill material equal to 10 Empire State Buildings, causing undersea havoc on endangered species, prime fishing grounds, underwater habitat, navigation, safety, and security.
Clean Ocean Action Director Cindy Zipf has called LNG a dirty, foreign fossil fuel with the conversion process a major pollutant. She and others have also raised safety issues about accidental gas releases.
Also challenging the plan are the American Littoral Society, the Surfer’s Environmental Alliance and other organizations.
Atlantic Sea Island is first of three companies with offshore LNG proposals to reach the approval process. Its island would receive, store and regasify liquid natural gas imported from overseas.
The plan also calls for a subsea pipeline for transportation of LNG, and a shore-based facility to help with the movement of personnel, equipment and supplies and disposable materials betweeen the port and shore.
The company says the port, which would take about five years to build, would be capable of delivering up to two billion cubic feet of natural gas per day to the New York metropolitan region.
One major LNG project proposed for the Long Island Sound was rejected by both New York and Connecticut.
While Governor Corzine included LNG as an alternative fuel prospect in his Master Energy Plan last fall, it is not clear whether he would support ASIG's project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	island.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	9643