High Rock Lake Stripers?????? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > North Carolina - Interior
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:22 PM

Default High Rock Lake Stripers??????

This is my first year ever trying for the elusive striped bass. I mainly fish for large mouth,crappie on occasion. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out on the do's and dont's on high rock for striper???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 03:02 AM

Default Re: High Rock Lake Stripers??????

Hi Brycolli
Welcome to the board.

You didnt see whether you would be bank fishing or boat fishing.
Not being too familiar with the lake I did a google on high rock to see where it is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Rock_Lake

The Yadkin River snakes southward from Davidson County's western border opening into
High Rock Lake.
In Rowan and Davidson Counties North Carolina.
The river has 4 hydroelectric dams on it. A Word About High Rock Lake
As the first major lake in the Yadkin-Pee Dee watershed, High Rock Lake tends to experience the
greatest fluctuation in water levels. It is the first lake to see water levels rise and fall based on the
unregulated flow of the Yadkin River, which runs through the Yadkin lakes.
http://www.alcoa.com/yadkin/en/lakes/high_rock.asp
High rock lake has been experiencing low water due to a drought. The 2002 drought was bad enough
to not allow the launching of boats for fishing.
Alcoa is keeping water levels at slightly higher than historical levels for the same time of year for this
reason, and possibly because their contract with the US government expires in 2008 and is being
renegotiated.

The upper end of the lake, from the Cheek Road bridge upstream past I-85 and to the mouth of the
three small rivers, is a navigational nightmare. There’s plenty of water in the narrow, winding Neuse
River channel, but once you leave its perimeter, the lake consists of countless shallow, stump-studded
flats extending from bank to bank. You can be comfortably riding along in the channel in 20 feet of water,
make a wrong turn and find yourself in 18 inches of water on top of stumps.

Here is an informative article from NC Game and Fish thats worth reading for High rock lake.
Another suggestion is to hire a guide first time out on the lake. The cost will more than be offset by the
experience and knowledge gained not to mention the gas not being wasted by futile attempts.

Like all striper fishing it takes doing your homework, having the right gear and getting your bait in the right
spot.

Good Luck.

Maynard Edwards of Yadkin Lakes Guide Service
[email protected] (336/249-6782)
limits his clients to four fish each at Badin and High Rock lakes,
though the creel limit at both lakes is eight fish.