Okuma - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 06-16-2006, 09:33 AM

Default Okuma

Having never used/or heard of these reels until recently, I was wondering how they rate? The local tackle shop is running a 50% off on all their stock.

Thanks
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2006, 09:42 AM
Pro Staff

Some love em, some hate em. I bought a big Okuma trolling reel last winter and loaded up with wire line for this season. Feels really smooth and well built. Have yet to actually use it, as my piece of crap boat is non-functional again.

Do a seach for Okuma and you'll find several threads discussing them.

This is the one I got,, yet untested.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:06 AM

Default Nice

Good looking reel...

Was just reading some reviews online and they seem to be positive.

I am looking at a spinner for the striper action. All of the spinners that I have are too small....

I think the AVENGER model is what I am looking at. Normally $60 and now $30....I did get to hold one and give it the typical run through and it felt smooth...If I get it on the way home I will post pics...

Thanks
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2006, 01:02 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

I love the Avenger series. I've gotten dirty looks from "The Elite", but I laugh cuz I didnt spend 700 dollars on my spinner and $250 on my pliers I have a AV40, 3 AV50's, and an AV65, and although I am currently only using 1 of the 50's, I still love the drag in it....one of my faves, just love the way it feels. I use it on a 7' Medium rod as a "utility" setup... I use it for everything from plugging, to chunking the marsh, to boat action etc. My AV50 is from like '02, and it still works great.....it has been pounded almost daily.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:36 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I had a CN-30 that stood toe to toe with a large blue fin tuna for four hours before the beast wrapped up a lobster pot, granted there was alot of boat chase involved but the reel held, it was pretty beat after wards but what bad thing can I say after that, the jig it hit was meant for cod fish in inshore waters... I have a pait of Okuma '50's that I use on Sharks and small to medium bluefin... love 'em!

One more thing, the reel was BRAND NEW, it's first trip, I called Okuma customer service and relayed my tale of woe.... they replace all the internal workings and drag components for free.....
Old 06-16-2006, 02:08 PM

Default Welly...Welly....Well...

Looks like I will be heading to the store after work...

I don't know the #'s, but they have 3 models in the Avenger Series that are available. I will be getting the largest one...

Thanks Guys
Mark
Old 06-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Jigologist

I bought the 65 for a ditch setup and put it on a 10' 2-5oz rod and it worked great.. had a few bail slamming issues and I'm taking the bail trigger out.. they design them to close the bail with the handle smoothly.. not good when your snap-casting 5oz jigs.. I think I hit the opposite shore with one jig :) .. snappo!! couse it was freshly sharpened, brand new, first cast with it.. hadn't even gotten wet yet

they are smooth and the drag is nice they hold 360yards of 50# powerpro on the 65 ... come to daddy!
Old 06-17-2006, 03:56 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Ya, the 65 is a big spinner. Mine has been sitting on the shelf since '04. I dont even really fish that big anymore.....largest reels I use these days are 50's series it seems.

Anyways, the above mentioned beloved "utility" setup with the Okuma Avenger AV50 on it is now swimming out in tha marsh, attached to the first real drag screamer of 2006. Yup, its underwater know, still probably somewhere out in Nudd's Canal. Such a shame.....I would've liked to fight that violent fish on my favorite setup. I had that thing since 2003, and I caught aloooot of fishies on that bastid.

"Big bass beat my ass!!!"