lacquer to seal - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:03 PM

Default lacquer to seal

I'VE HAD IT WITH ETEX would lacquer work to seal the plugs? i'd be happy getting a year or two out of them.i did two spooks with lacquer for a test,but i have four poppers that need to be sealed.any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 06:31 PM
First Mate

Default Re: lacquer to seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac37 View Post
I'VE HAD IT WITH ETEX would lacquer work to seal the plugs? i'd be happy getting a year or two out of them.i did two spooks with lacquer for a test,but i have four poppers that need to be sealed.any help would be appreciated.

Lacquer will work. Give it a few coats and you should be fine. Spray them in a ventilated area.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:45 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:

Why???? something is askew with your process, the stuff simply is not that diffuicult as loing as you follow a few basic steps...

Lacquer has worked for years, all of Creek chubs older stuff was lacquer painted and cleared...
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
Why???? something is askew with your process, the stuff simply is not that diffuicult as loing as you follow a few basic steps...

Lacquer has worked for years, all of Creek chubs older stuff was lacquer painted and cleared...
it keeps cracking the two poppers never touched water i dropped them.the needle crack when it hit the side of my kayak.i mix it with measuring cups 50/50,one thin coat,let it dry 24hr.then a second coat.i'm using folkart acrylic paint mixed with 30%water.??? the last few plugs i've be giving a coat of lacquer before the etex.today i dropped the lacquer coated spook to see what would happen=nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3210003.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	10093  
Old 03-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Lunker

nice looking plugs, like the needle especially.never used lacquer. the problems ive had with e tex have been my own fault.namely measuring and mixing. lots of good info out there on different ways guys do it.the chip off that needle looks more like a paint adhesion thing to me .but my plugage gets pretty dinged up with hook scrapes and banging off things too ,then i just build more plugs if you find the perfect finish please let me know!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:40 PM
First Mate

Quote:
it keeps cracking the two poppers never touched water i dropped them.the needle crack when it hit the side of my kayak.i mix it with measuring cups 50/50,one thin coat,let it dry 24hr.then a second coat.i'm using folkart acrylic paint mixed with 30%water.??? the last few plugs i've be giving a coat of lacquer before the etex.today i dropped the lacquer coated spook to see what would happen=nothing.

Are you letting your paint dry overnight before etex?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickski View Post
Are you letting your paint dry overnight before etex?
yes then i put one coat of quick drying laquer on a let it dry over nite before etex,exect the needle and a few surfsters no laquer one cracked like an eggshell.i must be missing something.i have other plugs i beat the heck out of and there going on there third year.can i use the acrlic paint with a clear laquer coat or do i need to go with laquer paint as well.i havent had a chance to trow the spooks yet.

btw how did the crabcoat test work out any good?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mully537 View Post
nice looking plugs, like the needle especially.never used lacquer. the problems ive had with e tex have been my own fault.namely measuring and mixing. lots of good info out there on different ways guys do it.the chip off that needle looks more like a paint adhesion thing to me .but my plugage gets pretty dinged up with hook scrapes and banging off things too ,then i just build more plugs if you find the perfect finish please let me know!!!
thanks,olive/pearl has been one of best color patterns.there kits i could never build a plug from scratch tryed a hand carved bunker over the winter lost it on the thru hole.somthings are best left alone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3210003.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	10094  
Old 03-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Lunker

great looking stuff,as i said ive never used lacquer .by the looks of your plugs it seems you have built a few in your day.so i cant explain your problem with the e tex.if you have used it before and been satisfied,maybe its incompatible with the paint? i dont know. that olive and white/pearl has been good to me also.day and night.good luck
Old 03-22-2009, 12:30 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I used lacquer and varnish exclusivly until I began using e-tex.... switching to etex made a more durable plug for certain...

the finish of any plug is only as good as the weakest link.... if the primer doesnt stick to the plug, the finish will crack and peel, if the paint doenst stick to the primer, the finish will crack and peel,.. this goes all the way to the top coat.... it appears to me, although the pictures can be hard to decifer, that the paint in not sticking to the primer.... trial and error ( I know it sucks) is the best way to solve the problem... many, many plug builders use e-tex with no issues, dont you think it's worth a little R&D to find the problem?... we all are searching for a better mouse trap, with out failure, there can be no sucess.... this is not a lecture, I only type this to help you be the best you can be... it's easy to give up.. alot harder to be sucessfull... deep breath and re-evaluate what your doing...

Good luck
Roc
Old 03-22-2009, 01:21 PM

thanks i was pretty steamed up when i posted this,i went back and redid the poppers.i read some where on here that you laquer after primer then paint?i might give that a try next time.i do like the etex finish over the laquer.thanks again.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:54 PM
First Mate

Quote:
thanks i was pretty steamed up when i posted this,i went back and redid the poppers.i read some where on here that you laquer after primer then paint?i might give that a try next time.i do like the etex finish over the laquer.thanks again.

Go back and read some of Roc's tutorials.

Turn wood
Sand
Seal with BLO/Mineral Spirits and let dry for a week or two... until when you sand it creates dust... or you can epoxy seal. Do a search and you will come across instructions from Sudsy.
Prime with shellac based primer.... or shellac and then prime.
Paint
scratch coat, or not. I've tried it both ways with good results
Etex

experiment with some dowel stock.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:54 PM
swabbie

Here's my take on it from my experimenting .
I use a big variety of paint types . spray can primers ( the quick dry ,sandable , automotive works good for me ) I have about 30 colors of spray paint various types . also an airbrush with both latex and alkiloyd based hobby paints . west system epoxy ultra clear and envirotex lite .for epoxy finish. Having all these types around I've made quite a few do-overs due to compatibility problems .
I prefer the oil based paints , but I'm not in the basement where I poison the rest of my tribe .
when I started using the epoxy heat seal method, rather than the linseed oil, alot of my comptibility problems dissapeared . for making 3-6 lures at a time it seems the cleanest and easiest ( funnest too)
The envirotex spray can for a scratch coat prior to final epoxieing will lift many spray can paints . ( I ruined 2 this week cause I forgot). I think it works good over latex paints.
I use auto body filler ( bondo) for all my filling . It drys as fast as you want. sands and machines well ,and is relatively cheap. get the fine stuff .
I hope my trial and error helps someone out.
GF
Old 03-22-2009, 07:35 PM

thanks i keep fogetting that tutorials up there.i'll be reading the danny plug thread till its burned in my mind.thanks again.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF
Here's my take on it from my experimenting .
I use a big variety of paint types . spray can primers ( the quick dry ,sandable , automotive works good for me ) I have about 30 colors of spray paint various types . also an airbrush with both latex and alkiloyd based hobby paints .
I noticing not all spray paint nozzles are created equal. What types of cans are you using? Model spray paint? Auto? Rustoleum/krylon?

I'm liking spray lacquer nozzles, rustoleum, not so much.