Lake Monroe 11-4 & 11-5-2008 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Indiana Stripers and Wipers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 11-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Wiper Guru

Default Lake Monroe 11-4 & 11-5-2008

We (Mr. Sidekick and I) got to Hardin Ridge at 2:00 p.m., set up camp, then headed for the ramp by the same name. We were one of three campers there, which is kind of unusual since the is so beautiful this time of the year and the camping on the federal campground if free.

We launched and headed for the mouth of Hardin Ridge to start. Nothing. Went around the corner. Nothing. Across the lake to the beach area. Nothing. Down to the dam and over to Sugar Creek. Nothing. We headed back to camp as darkness settled over the lake and the moon, nearly a half moon, shined bright on the water. No fish taken. No bites. No nothing, but no shortage of fishermen, either. I hope they did better than we did.

Sidekick and I were up at dawn and launching. We fished until noon and did not find anything, although Side did manage to catch a largemouth that was slightly larger then the Rattletrap lure he was using. At noon we trailered the boat and headed up to the store near the mouth of Hardin Ridge campground for lunch. It's the "We don't have that on this side of the lake" store, if you are familiar with it. Had a great lunch, then launched again.
I was tired no fish at all and tied on a floating Rapala as we entered Chapel Hill Inlet. I was thinking at least I could probably catch a bass and not go home emptyhanded. On my firs cast I caught a fish that turned out to be about a 1.0 lb. wiper taken on a floating Rapala. As I unhooked the fish, I saw a boat being pushed toward us by the wind, a couple out for an afternoon of fishing, and I decided to fire up the big motor and go to the back of the inlet and let my boat drift behind thiers, rather that have to maneuver my way around them using my trolling motor against the wind. I fired up and as I started back, I decided to toss my line out and troll my way to the back. Of course I gnarled the line and had to stop the engine while I tried to get the line straightened out, and while I fooled with it, a 6.5 lb wiper took my lure. I am not sure how I got that thing in the boat without breaking it off, but I did get it in the boat with the couple in the other boat oohing and aahing. By the time we left that cove at dark, I had four fish, all in the 6.0 lb range and Side had one that went about 6.5 lb. Turned out to be a good two days on the lake after all, but it is strange that they should have all been in the one small cove. I did find them stacked in other coves, but they would not bite anything I threw. It was only in Chapel Hill Inlet and they came only on trolled lures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Lake Monroe 11-4 & 11-5-2008

We were out on Friday. Hit the water 7:30 am and trolled for walleye. One short one, a yellow bass, catfish, crappie. Trolled for wipers in the afternoon and didn't ever get one. Found several bait pods on the depth finder but no fish to bite. Was a tough day on the water- 2-3 footers on the main lake at times throughout the day. Great day on the water to say the least.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Wiper Guru

Oh, yeah! those waves come up on Monroe and you start wondering why you're out there. Sorry you didn't catch what you were looking for. That last time I was out, we went fishless the first day--very frustrating--and would have suffered the same fate the second day if we had'nt stumbled across that small cove on the southeast side of the lake.

On the bright side, at least the wind wasn't directly out of the west--those are the bad days.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:05 PM

Never felt unsafe but I was tired after fighting it all day! Marked a lot of fish that didn't cooperate but had a blast anyway.

About what month will the wipers get active in the Spring? Is there a really hot period for them oin the Spring? How do you fish them in the Spring?

Dave
Old 11-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Wiper Guru

If you look on some of these old posts you'll get a pretty accurate picture of what they're doing in the spring. I usually give them a shot by the middle of March if the weather is cooperating. The seem to like silver shiney stuff in the early spring. I throw for them, and if that does not work, I troll. They tolerate cold water, but they don't move a lot in it. You'll see them most often just hanging around shad schools, but not biting. Like most Indiana fish, when the water hits 55 degrees, they take off.

You usually find them off of points and especially at the mouths of inlets in the early spring. I like to start looking for the in the upper reaches of the lake, around the Paynetown area generally because that span of lake is only about 14-18 feet deep and it tends to warm faster.

In the spring is also when you'll want to keep an eye on the surface of the water. They'll often churn the surface when they're really whacking the shad. I have seen people sitting in boats and the wipers go nuts all around the boat, and rather than cast to them, they sit and scratch their heads, trying to figure out what's going on. Keep a good casting spoon handy at all times.