Lake Monroe 5/30/2008 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Indiana Stripers and Wipers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 06-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Wiper Guru

Default Lake Monroe 5/30/2008

Put out from Fairfax at 3:00 p.m. I had the first one (8.4 lbs.) by 3:15 and the second (4.0 lb.) by 3:30 p.m. Skies were mostly clear and thw wind was, well, pronounced. Mr. Piggy was feeling bad because he wasn't catching. We were trolling chartreuse jigs. Oops! Sorry Mr. Piggy. There goes my line againl. I'm not sure how many we caught. By day's end, Mr. Piggy had his limit, too, and we both went home happy. The biggest of the day was my 8.4 pounder--he's back in the water, waiting. We kept four small ones for the grill and turned the others back. I don't remember seeing so many fish stacked in the water column. We trolled in about 25 feet of water and our lures must have been coming through the water at about 12 feet down. I would see the schools on the fishometer, we'd pass over them, and wham! Double hookups. It was incredible.

We left the lake at dark, about (9:30 to 9:45 p.m.) and started north. We could see the lightening but had no idea what we were driving into. I hit the east side of Indy at 11:30 and was the only car on I465. What a storm! Hope you all got through it safely.

Oh, we tries casting for wipers but had no luck. They seemed to want trolled lures or no lures at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008, 05:18 PM
ISBA Exec

Default Re: Lake Monroe 5/30/2008

Your killin' me man!!!!!! I haven't even been down this year. But thats-a-changin' next week!!! Nice job on the catchin'

Yaz
Old 06-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Wiper Guru

It'll be a little wierd, Yaz. There are no flats and the water depth in many places exceeds 40 ft. It's probably worse after the last day or two. We caught most fish in 25 feet of water, trolling at about 12 ft. It was the only time I would see the fish on the finder and get hit as soon as the lure passed over. You'll love it once you get the pattern, but it is different than it has been for at least five years.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008, 11:25 PM
ISBA Exec

Hey Slow,

I'm biting the $4.95/gal diesel fuel bullit and heading down this weekend. Probably fish both evenings. If its good, I'll probably hit it again a couple times through the week. You know my boat, so stop and give me a shout. You know where I'll be fishing!!!

Yaz
Old 06-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Wiper Guru

I didn't come across you at the lake. I was down the 6th and the 12th and got skunked both days, althought Mr. Piggy took a few. He was catching in the 5# range, using the same lure I was using. I guess they were favoring his side of the boat, although it may have been the Purell he uses on his hands all the time. The long and the short is, I can see them under the boat but they just don't seem to want to bite anything. I'm going to have the switch from angling to fishing if this keep up.

Hope you did okay.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:48 PM
ISBA Exec

Well Slow, been a little busy to get out. Just when I thought i was going to get enough free time to get down there, we had this tornado come through. The one that got St. Paul, and Moscow. I live just South of there, and the farm is just East of Moscow. The tornado went through the our fields and never damaged anything but a few trees. It actually lifted on the property and left about 1/2 the neighbors barn in the field. THEN on Friday, the night before I had planned on coming down there, we had this little rain shower come through and made me a indoor pool out of my partially finished basement! Another weekend shot in the hind end.

I finally made it out with a buddy in his boat on Thursday (6/12/06) and caught nine. I thought that was you we seen and both of the normal areas??????? We were in a green Tracker with riggers and rod holders all over the back of the boat.

Yaz
Old 06-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

glad you were spared. dem twisters suck. i saw two side by side when i was stationed in kansas. good job on the dish and i think it is about time we got a midwest gathering in the works for next season. been a while since i have been to indiana.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:19 PM
ISBA Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
glad you were spared. dem twisters suck. i saw two side by side when i was stationed in kansas. good job on the dish and i think it is about time we got a midwest gathering in the works for next season. been a while since i have been to indiana.
zimno,

Capt. Willie and I have been trying to get Jim up here, and let a few of our Hoosier stripers and hybrids yank him around. We'd be glad to have you!

Yaz
Old 06-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Wiper Guru

HEy, Yaz, that was me and Mr. Piggy in the usual spots. I didn't recognize you without your Ranger. Mr. Piggy got a five pounder but I got the skunk. In fact, I've been shaking hands with the skunk for two weeks now and I'm getting sick of it. The lake is so deep this year and the wipers are so scattered you almost have to be trolling, but I just don't prefer that kind of fishing.

I've seen some of the damage down your way. It is heartbreaking, and I'm sure we will be a long, long time cleaning it up. On my way to Monroe I pass through Martinsville; they've had a time over there, too. And since I am in the insurance business, I've been hopping of late, too. It makes me glad I don't live in Iowa or Missouri.

Take care. My next trek to the Big Green is Friday, the 20th. Maybe I'll see you there.

Keep Your Powder Dry.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:00 PM
ISBA Exec

You are right slow, they are scattered, and trolling right now seems to be the only way we can stay up with them. It does seem right at dark, we can catch them hanging on the good points. We seen you pull into an area we had just passed through, but you left. Hope you didn't leave on account of us. They were on the point across from you!! I'm sure thats what you wanted to hear!!!

I wanted to yell......"Hey Slowretrieve and Mr. Piggy" But as my luck goes, it wouldn't have been you, and they would have taken offense and whooped my hind end!!!

Good Luck,

Yaz
Old 06-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Wiper Guru

Ok, Yaz. Next time yell at me if you see me wearing a dark green Bubba O'leary boonie cap. That'll be me and Mr. Piggy you'll know because he never removes his PFD. We'll get together this time. I did see you go by but wasn't sure which one you were or even if it was you on there.

We didn't get any at that point and only one at the point across the inlet, but when we went up to the Paynetown Inlet, we caught them there---go figure. What I have not figured out how to do this year is to catch them casting, and I'm just not committed enough to spend that much gas money taking fish. Now I have to start experimenting with different lures. I'm headed down there today and plan to try some 6" chartreuse grubs on 1 o.z. leadhead jigs. They'll scare the daylights out of the small ones, but the bigger fish might go after them.