New Member Intro - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Official Member

Default New Member Intro

Hi Everyone, My name is Tom and i live just north of boston in the lynn/saugus area. I recently bought a 19.5' bow rider, not really a fishing boat, I know, but since i have a wife and two small children i needed something comfortable and fun for the family.
I've been launching the boat in lynn at the public dock and although I've tried to do a little fishing, it's tough with the kids and stuff. I also have very little knowledge of the waterways in the area and not much saltwater fishing experience. I am from Virginia originally and i used to be very active in freshwater fishing but haven't done much at all in the last 5 or 6 years. Being out in the boat really has the itch coming back and i'm looking to learn more about fishing the coast.
My wife and the kids are out of town for the next week so I'm really looking to make a run at some stripers this weekend and maybe after work a few times this coming week.
I know guys don't like to give up their hot spots but just some general knowledge on places to try in the north shore area, and the boat is easily trailered to other spots if they are worth the trip. I know nothing about trolling or even if my boat is capable, but info on jig setups, lures, chunk bait, live bait, etc.. would be awesome.

Also, I don't really have any fishing buddies, so there is room in the boat. If you have some knowledge to share and want to get off the beach for a while, or maybe your boat is down at the moment, let me know. I'm a pretty easy going guy, share some gas money and jump in.
I'm sure I'll learn a lot on the forum so thanks in advance for sharing..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 09:02 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: New Member Intro

Welcome to the forum, Tom! This time of year your best chances of finding decent fish during the day will likely be very early morning along shoreline structure. Take a look at a nautical chart of the area to find the humps, ledges, rock piles, etc. and focus on those to begin with. Good luck!!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Official Member

Hey Tom,

Welcome to the boards. I read your post and was wondering how you've been doing with the fishing? Any luck? I usually fish the Deer Island area in Winthrop...usually from shore. There are always boats in and around the harbor and I hear the boat guys are doing pretty well. Wouldn't be a long trip for you to check it out I don't think. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Official Member

Me and a friend actually went right of the point of deer island last week and brought home to keepers. One 33" and one 30". Fishing the outgoing tide, i hooked up on a white 6" shad bait and he actually got the other one on a bottom rig with a clam. I still haven't had a chance to do any trolling for the bigger ones but i have been gathering the gear. I hope to land a couple 45"+ fish by the time i have to put the boat away.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Official Member

@ Tom-good for you! Glad to hear you are having some success. A 33 and a 30 aren't anything to sneeze at. I have only caught a couple of keepers this season so far but haven't been able to get out as much as I would like either. Anyway, keep up the good work. If you ever need ballast to balance out the boat let me know! Tight Lines!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Official Member

Hi Tom,

Also a newbie to the site but have been fishing the harbor from a boat for years. I've had a lot of good fortune lately around the Peddocks/Hull Gut area as well as Hunt Ledge and in between George's and Lovells.
Didn't get any lines in last weekend due to that brutal wind on Saturday and the Pats Sunday (gotta have priorities) but I bagged a 40incher on my last trip live lining herring behind George's over Labor Weekend. This weekend looks great so I'll be out catching bait early.

Tight lines
Old 09-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Welcome!